Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm putting a scope on one for a friend today and I've never heard of this company, its made in Canada.Was this something marketed thru sears or eatons back in the 50's or 60's??

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
North Americian Arms shows on some low cost single shot shotguns. Nothing wrong with them, just plainer guns.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I need to correct the last post. With further thought, I was thinking of New England Arms.

Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I googled them and can't find anything other than guys looking for clips for them

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just came from having lunch with my daughter and sil. While there the sil showed me a 1960-61 Canadian Tire catalogue he purchased off the internet. In it I found an advertisement for both a NAACO shotgune and a .22 LR. The price tag on the latter was $18.95.

Seemed like a coincidence since I had just been reading about these guns on this thread.

Jim

edit - reason - spelling

Last edited by 1OntarioJim; 04/07/12.
IC B2

Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Right on,thanks Jim

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I seem to recall they were a "store brand" made by Cooey but I can't document that. Just an old recollection I read somewhere many moons back.

Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It looks more like the lakefield mossberg I had when I was in highschool. The little grizly .22 really shoots,I was suprised how good it shot

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can't disagree there either. Sub contracted?

Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Maby,it does say manufactured in canada.Did lakefield mossberg have a plant in canada?

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They were built in Ontario. Kitchener area I think.

Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Next time I go down to his place I'll ask him if it says where exactly it was made,but I'm pretty sure it was an ontario city

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Rog, I have located you here. Tell us about the Kootenay. It sure sounds like a great place.

Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Its pretty nice here alright,I come over here in 2000.The fishing was incredible I was like a kid in a candy store.Fished a different lake or creek every weekend.The hunting is pretty good too,though I gotta say for a primarily white tail hunter like myself you can't beat saskatchewan (where I grew up)Spent 4 years over in the okanagan boundry area too,its great there as well

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
NAACO. Or North American Arms Co. was out of Toronto. I have a section of a barrel stamped with the company name and "GRIZZLY". I also have a cracked butt plate and bolt for it. It appears to have been cut up to "get a gun off the street".

If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell!
W
W
I have one that I have had since about 1962...I remember my Dad and I ordering it out of a catalogue, but can't remember which one...also still have the book and the parts list if that would help?

W
W
I just noticed in the book that it lists as a feature "dovetail cuts made on receiver for attachment of telescope sights.

W
W
The book also lists the address of North American Arms Company Ltd. as 1480 Birchmount Rd., Scarborough.

S
S
I just noticed this thread when looking up the history for a NAACO Grizzly single shot .22 rimfire that I was about to sell at a local gun show next weekend. Of course no one there will have heard of NAACO.

I bought this rifle from NAACO directly in 1961 shortly after my militia unit organized a tour of their factory in Scarborough.

There I witnessed these rifles being made and blued and I liked the care they were taking during production.

Mine was a single shot with a Lyman adjustable rear aperture sight and a shrouded front sight that took Lyman inserts. They also made a box magazine version of the Grizzly.

My rifle was used for several years in the 60's for the Dominion Marksman program and I earned some nice patches.

But it is not comparable to modern rimfire target rifle competition where I use Anschutzes today.

Yes at age 74 I am still active in benchrest both rimfire and centerfire, as well as skeet.

The NAACO company had a catalog containing their rifles as well as rifle and pistol imports from Europe. IIRC, their inventory included Beretta and Star models.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 63 invisible), 3,063 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.