Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
What scope for the value on my RWS 34? Hawke, Centerpoint, Leapers, RWS, etc.?

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I had a RWS on my 34 and after around 600 shots it stated moving, got a Barska airgun 3x10 and still going stron after 1000+ shots, the Barska I got for $49.00

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Put a Hawke on it. All of them are springer rated, and having owned/own most of the models for the past 8 years, they will handle
recoil, even magnum guns.
One suggestion, get a Air Max for your 34, perfect setup. I still have my very first Hawke Air Max mounted on my gas rammed Webley Stingray, zero POI shifts or problems.

S.W.A.G. it
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
+1 on the Hawke AirMax. Good optics, great warranty. I have a 4x12 on a Beeman R7, would be just as happy with the 3X9 or 2X7. Great scopes!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Probably the very best bang for the buck in an Airgun scope is the Hawke HD 3x9 x40 AO with Milldots at about $75 most places..

Actually, it's a darn useful scope for about any rifle..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by jim62
Probably the very best bang for the buck in an Airgun scope is the Hawke HD 3x9 x40 AO with Milldots at about $75 most places..

That's what I've been saying about those HD's when it first came out 4 years ago when I tested them for Hawke. They can even handle magnum recoil, but did anybody listen to me back then? smile

S.W.A.G. it
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by xposo

That's what I've been saying about those HD's when it first came out 4 years ago when I tested them for Hawke. They can even handle magnum recoil, but did anybody listen to me back then? smile

Well, I never saw your test or recommendations, so I sure was not ignoring you.. grin

When the HDs came out,I called Hawke and they said they'd handle Airgun recoil.. Basically, they said they are the Airmax scopes without the MAP reticles.

I told them then, that they needed to add a 3-9 with AO AND milldots to the line.. I'm sure lot's of other folks told them the same thing and they did so in 2010.

IMHO, that one particular scope is among the very best sub $100 scopes made for about any small bore rifle.

Last edited by jim62; 04/16/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Then Hawke it is. Where do you find them HD Mildots for $75? I see them for $110.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by xposo

Well, I never saw your test or recommendations, so I sure was not ignoring you.. grin

When the HDs came out,I called Hawke and they said they'd handle Airgun recoil.. Basically, they said they are the Airmax scopes without the MAP reticles.

I told them then, that they needed to add a 3-9 with AO AND milldots to the line.. I'm sure lot's of other folks told them the same thing and they did so in 2010.

IMHO, that one particular scope is among the very best sub $100 scopes made for about any small bore rifle.

Not you in particular Jim62, but in general. When I first got my hands on them, and already knowing Hawke's quality in their scopes, I knew that they would be good to go but had to run them, or rather, try to run them into the ground. I threw both the AO and non AO scopes on my rammed HW80 and had both mounted on the gun for a 1000 shots each. (a brand spanking new Bushnell Legend couldn't take 100 shots from this gun before it died) Both held POI with zero shifts or any kind of problem. In fact I still have the non AO mounted on one of my guns just because it works so well.

You can get the HD's right from Hawke.

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/rifle-scopes/sport-hd.html

A very underrated scope that gets over looked all the time. You don't need to spend big bucks for quality optics, especially from Hawke. That's why I've been only use Hawke optics for the past 8 years, and Mike and Brad are the best in the business.

S.W.A.G. it
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
That will be the one, Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How closely will the AO focus to on this scope? Reason I ask is that i shoot in my basement and need a scope that will focus to very short range....

Regards,

Tom
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Why is the Leupold EFR overlooked in this discussion? I just picked up a '34 and I'm looking for scope advice. I'm guessing cost is the issue with the Leupold, but with a type of rifle notorious for killing scopes, wouldn't the Leupold with its known quality and lifetime warranty be a obvious choice? Never heard of the other brands mentioned until I recently started looking at air rifles.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Is the leupold EFR rated for airguns? I Could not find if it was or not on their site. Recoil vibration in a springer goes forward and will shake some scopes apart due to them being designed to withstand recoil in reward direction. Learned that lesson myself on a nice weaver mounted on a rws 48.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Is the leupold EFR rated for airguns? I Could not find if it was or not on their site. Recoil vibration in a springer goes forward and will shake some scopes apart due to them being designed to withstand recoil in reward direction. Learned that lesson myself on a nice weaver mounted on a rws 48.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Talked to Leupold today and they stated ALL of their scopes are air gun rated.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hawke 3x9 with lighted Mil-Dot is hard to beat

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have a Bushnell 3-9 EFR that has been on mine for 20 years with zero issues. I have a 2-7 EFR RWS that has been on my M48 for 22 years with zero issues. Both fine pieces. Not sure how today's equivalent rendering compare.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A $400 Leupold on a $150 M-34, What ever floats your boat I suppose. I have had good luck with Leapers and Hawke. Decent scopes for around $100, certainly not Leupolds but then the M-34 is not a TX 200 either. I did have a Bushnell Banner 4X12 fall apart on my M-34. I have thought about a Leupold 3x9 EFR on my R9 but never can bring myself to spend the money so it wears a Hawke 4X AO.

Last edited by centershot; 04/01/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hawke is my pick for a air rifle scope

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I've got a Leupold EFR, excellent scope. I put it on a CZ452 rimfire. But I recently ordered a Hawke Sport HD after hearing so much about them on airgun forums. Of course, my first thought when hearing about them the first time was 'How can a decent scope be had for under $100 ?' I'll see when it gets here and I mount in on my springer air rifle.

If performance matches the positive reviews I've read from so many guys, I may have to revise my ideas on scopes. I don't know about other guys, but I'm not made out of unlimited mountains of money. I've got to prioritize where I spend it. Air rifles & rimfires are of limited range (relatively). And I'm not trying to shoot itty-bitty little target groups, not that a Leupold 3-9x EFR would qualify as a target scope anyway. If I find a scope that can do the job well and save me $300, - - - - that can free up money for something else where it can make a difference in actual performance in the field. (For example, extending the budget for a pair of big game hunting binoculars from $750 to $1050.)

Last edited by Pointshoot; 04/02/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only problem with the air rifle only scopes is the mounts that are supplied with the rifles, they mount the scope really high and you can run out of w&e adjustments with some pellets

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
High quality mounts are a must. No scope is worth a hoot if it slips around in the mounts. I like the Beeman 5030 mounts myself.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
My Beeman springer came with a 4x32 Beeman scope and mounts. I ordered some Hawke low match mounts to go with the new Hawke scope. They use some kind of temporary adhesive in the rings to provide additional anchoring for keeping the scope in place.

Last edited by Pointshoot; 04/02/14.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Ordered a Hawke.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just ordered a Hawk 3-9 HD from Pyramid Air, mount, pellets, cleaning stuff

I bought the Benjamin Titan GP Nitro Piston, .22, very nicely built gun, shoots hard and accurate.

The scope which comes with it is "meh". Rings are for picatiny rail, not 11mm dovetail groves

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 39 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.