OP Offline
J
Hey I have a M1 Carbine 30 Cal.
imprinted with "Universal Hialeah. Fla."
The serial number is 103,XXX
Guns in pretty good condition, also have three mags for it
any idea what it might be worth or how old it is, or even if its
a collectors/antique gun?
Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a collector. It is a commercial copy of the government issue rifle. I would guess that it was made in the 70s. No idea on value- best guess $300 to $350.

Who is John Galt?
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, not a collector piece, $300-350 is probably a good start for negotiating, but it won't get much more. If I recall correctly, it had a cast (not forged) receiver and mostly GI parts. Keep it and shoot it.

Last edited by djs; 04/17/12.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

J
JustinL Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Okay thanks for the info guys, I've seen some go for 600-1,000 bucks online. 300-1,000$ is a big gap, not really sure where to go with this one.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suspect the 600-1000 dollars ones you have seen are real GI. As explained earlier, your universal is a commercial copy with some surplus parts.

Kind of like the difference between a real Austin Healey and a Sebring replica....

Not saying it's not a good gun, just pointing out the difference in value.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About $300 in the condition you describe according to the Blue Book.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JustinL
Okay thanks for the info guys, I've seen some go for 600-1,000 bucks online. 300-1,000$ is a big gap, not really sure where to go with this one.

The problem its not a "real" M1. as mentioned earlier, its a commercial copy, and not a particularly good one. If you saw a Universal sell online for $1000, then P.T. Barnum is laughing in his grave saying "I told you so!"

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Brazos
I suspect the 600-1000 dollars ones you have seen are real GI. As explained earlier, your universal is a commercial copy with some surplus parts.

Kind of like the difference between a real Austin Healey and a Sebring replica....

Not saying it's not a good gun, just pointing out the difference in value.

Collectors are willing to pay top dollar for collectable, good condition, authentic guns. A gun with commercial or non-authentic parts is worth considerably less. Use the carbine as a shooter and have fun.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
be real careful on any carbine marked universal, there is a LOT of online stuff regarding them. They are NOT in the same class as a military carbine, and in some situations could be unsafe to fire. I would not want to own one.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
be real careful on any carbine marked universal, there is a LOT of online stuff regarding them. They are NOT in the same class as a military carbine, and in some situations could be unsafe to fire. I would not want to own one.
I wouldn't want one either. The early ones weren't too bad I guess but later production is not even close to GI spec and prone to parts breakage for which there are no replacements and GI parts won't fit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As most all Carbines "in the system" after WWII were eventually fitted with different rear sights and different front bands (w/bayo "lug") than the originals, that's how most come equipped today.

While some of those are worth more than others, the ones that command the highest prices from collectors are the WWII bring-backs, still in their original configurations. Most of them will also still have all of their original parts.

Few, if any of the CMP-distributed Carbines still had all the original parts. Neither of mine do, but it's okay by me, as most of them had been torn down and rebuilt numerous times, both by our folks and in all of the assorted nations that once had them.

No Universal Carbine (or other repro) is ever gonna be worth anything close to an original. The recent Kahr copies aren't too bad, but I'd sooner have an original. Both of mine cost less from CMP, than a new Kahr (Auto Ordinance).

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We had one on a local forum a couple of weeks ago...pristine condition, lots of mags, the owner saw some true GI examples at a gun show and decided he wanted $1000. Not a single bite once people found out it was a Universal. He kept dropping the price until he reached $650, then pulled the ad.

Most Universals in VG-Exe condition seem to go for about $350-400 on Gunbroker.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two years ago, saw GI Carbines at a show that were probably obtained from CMP, like mine were. Several guys had them for sale, all were priced about $150 to $200 more, than CMP was getting for them at the time.

Wasn't worth that extra money to save on the 60 to 90 day wait for one from CMP, at least for me.

There are still two sources for 30 Carbines in good quantities, but doubt anything will ever materialize soon? They've pretty much already been returned from South America, Germany, Italy, Greece and a few other European sources and doled out via CMP.

One source is South Korea, but Obumbo has blocked their possible importation (or, repatriation). The other is likely Vietnam, as thousands of them were sent to South Vietnam in the post-French era and into the '60s.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The universal is a repro. I put one on consignment at a local gun shop not long ago for $375. It didn't take long to sell. The origninals go for more money, and depenging on who made, a pretty good penny sometimes.

Jeff

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The Universal is also mechanically different in some ways. I have an Underwoodm which is my keeper carbine, which was made in '41 if I remember correctly. It shoots great and is a lot of fun. If you have the means to get a real carbine, I wouldn't bother with the universal.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,008 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.