24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steven, that's a gorgeous rifle but that picture does make it look sanded.

Yours:

[Linked Image]

Mine:

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I thought the same thing. The edges are not as crisp as others, BUT it is untouched. The rifle was the topic of discussion with several other collectors and NOT one thought it was sanded after it left the factory. Sometimes things are not as they appear to the eye through a picture. The wood is 100% the way it left the factory. At first. I thought Jed was being a little harsh on you. But, I am starting to agree with him. I don't think you'd know a great 99 if you tripped over it. Especially if you only had a picture to look at. smile smile

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
AH you damned kids arguing about your new toys !!!!!! grin grin I would go to Syracuse if it wasn't crowded!!! LBK,super rifle grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There are secrets to beating the crowd!!!!!! grin grin

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The gun is what it is, it might just be something that slipped thru QA at the factory with metal proud to the wood at the lever and over sanded pads despite being the premier model at the time (ignoring the K). Be a great hunting rifle, hope you enjoy it. grin

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nice pickup LBK makes for a great week end,

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be interesting to see how many other ppl have 99s from this era with rounded cheeks and believe they are correct... I looked through pictures of my prewar Rs and RSs and all of mine have sharp cheeks.

Your Gun:

[Linked Image]

a prewar R is 250

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A couple of prewar RSs:

[Linked Image]

a prewar R in 300

[Linked Image]

another prewar R in 300

[Linked Image]

Here is a slightly later TR/RT

[img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/lohmaraj/RT%20TR%20%20EGT/pix097159325.jpg[/img]

These were just the ones that I had handy in my PB account... I also looked at 3 Ts, 2 Gs, and another R and all had really sharp cheeks.

And then there is the following BB 99H

I always figured this gun was lightly sanded but maybe its original... What say the experts? Steven? Jed?

Like Rory...I'm probably too stupid to recognize an original gun if it bit me in the arse.

[img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/lohmaraj/303Hleft.jpg[/img]

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99
It would be interesting to see how many other ppl have 99s from this era with rounded cheeks and believe they are correct... I looked through pictures of my prewar Rs and RSs and all of mine have sharp cheeks.

Your Gun:

[Linked Image]

a prewar R is 250

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A couple of prewar RSs:

[Linked Image]

a prewar R in 300

[Linked Image]

another prewar R in 300

[Linked Image]

Here is a slightly later TR/RT

[img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/lohmaraj/RT%20TR%20%20EGT/pix097159325.jpg[/img]

These were just the ones that I had handy in my PB account... I also looked at 3 Ts, 2 Gs, and another R and all had really sharp cheeks.

And then there is the following BB 99H

I always figured this gun was lightly sanded but maybe its original... What say the experts? Steven? Jed?

Like Rory...I'm probably too stupid to recognize an original gun if it bit me in the arse.

[img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/lohmaraj/303Hleft.jpg[/img]

YOU said it not me.

Curious,,,,,,,,,,,how many of yours will letter???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stephen
Very Nice prewar RS.
Congrats, Looks Great.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you asking how many of my guns will letter?? I don't tend to letter guns that look to match factory standard grades but I do happen to have a letter on an RS in 300 and T in 303 b/c they had very nice wood (the RS is the bottom one in the picture of three) and I thought it was possible that they were special ordered.
A fair bit earlier I have a letter on an H in 3030 that came with the gun. Everything else I have lettered is pre 200,000

What is your opinion on my H that I posted, think its original?

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
[Linked Image]

What is the meaning of the Pied Piper? Do you want to see a copy of the letter? here it is:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by lovemy99; 04/23/12. Reason: added letter

Andrew
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Drew, I've seen R's and T's with flaws like gaps between the forearm and receiver, or poorly fitted buttplates. Original, just reduces value greatly. Never say never with Savage, so this flaw could a Monday morning hangover rifle. Just suprised to see it on an RS, and there's always the worry that a great stock guy refinished it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yeah Rory, I am hoping that my H falls into that category also... looking to get some expert opinion so that I can know for sure.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1st off Not all will be sharp as a point.
The stocks were all hand finished and fitted.
No 2 would be alike,J.M.O.
I will never understand when a nice gun appears, some one always has to pick fly shiz out of nat's arse.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Originally Posted by lovemy99

The only "bad news" is that it can not be lettered as JTC does not have records for guns over 372,100 until sometime after the war.

On a side note, I now have 90 records of prewar Rs and RSs.

Thanks, I was just thinking about lettering my RS at 393XXX but I couldn't remember what JC's cut off number was.

when looking through my letters from JTC I realized that I swapped two numbers... the last rifle he has a record for is 371,200

Andrew
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1899sav
I will never understand when a nice gun appears, some one always has to pick fly shiz out of nat's arse.

9 times out of 10 (or more) the fly shiz in question means a refinished rifle. If somebody can't discuss something on their guns in a friendly and courteous manner then maybe we need another forum called "Savage Pat Me On The Back And Lie To Me Forum".

I didn't say, "LBK, you're an idiot and you bought a refinished rifle.". I said the pads looked slightly sanded and the metal is proud to the wood. If this is original and there's many more examples of it, I'd like to learn about that so I don't pass up a peach in the future.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This group has never been shy about giving an honest assessment of someone's rifle when they post pictures... its a known fact that it will occur and we warn Newbies all the time to be fair warned their rifle will get picked apart.

I don't think anyone was rude or mean at least not until Steven thought it was necessary to tell Rory he did not think he could tell what an original rifle looked like even if he tripped over it.

Steven says all the time that he likes a person that is honest and will tell it like it is... I'm calling a spade a spade... the gun looks sanded... if its not, I'd like to learn how one tells the difference... I'd like to see some statistical proof also showing a number of similar rifles from the period that represent the difference. I've offered up one from a few years before that looks sanded and would like to know what others think and what criteria ppl use to distinguish the difference.

Like so many of our posts, you learn from asking these detailed questions and seeing examples of different rifles... this is the perfect opportunity to learn something...

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun

9 times out of 10 (or more) the fly shiz in question means a refinished rifle. If somebody can't discuss something on their guns in a friendly and courteous manner then maybe we need another forum called "Savage Pat Me On The Back And Lie To Me Forum".

I didn't say, "LBK, you're an idiot and you bought a refinished rifle.". I said the pads looked slightly sanded and the metal is proud to the wood. If this is original and there's many more examples of it, I'd like to learn about that so I don't pass up a peach in the future.

apparently we think the same b/c you posted this will I was typing my response...

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Rory
Nothing aimed at you. I'm just stating my own opinion.Period.

To me it's a nice Rifle. Period. For Stephen it's a Nice rifle.
I wish i'd look that good for a 60 plus year old rifle. Period.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.