Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Good Afternoon,

I would like to hear from Sako 85 owners that have had ejection problems (case hitting bottom of scope) with their rifles. Especially those that have been sent back to Beretta or one of their outsourced authorized repair dealers. If you had one repaired I would like to know just how they repaired what I consider to be a major design flaw(ejector at 6 o'clock position). As you guys can probably tell, I have just about had it with Beretta, Sako, and this expensive non-functioning rifle.

Thanks much,

G2

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I haven't had any issues yet, Did you talked with Beretta about the problems you are having?

Last edited by bethalhntr; 04/24/12.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've owned 3 85's. First 270wsm did it sometimes, 270win every time, and 7mmRM has never come close to hitting the scope. I've never sent one back. I just sell them if they don't run and start over.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Had same problem with grey wolf .30-06, using low mounts and leupold vx 3.5-10. Sent it in, got it back with same problem a month and a half later. The gunshop made them send me a new gun, but it did the same thing! Sako wanted me to put my 40 mm scope in high rings. I got my full refund back from them finally.

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No such issue with my 308 so far.....

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My 300WSM operates fine but it seems to depend on the scope/setup and cartridge.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have not had a issue with the couple I own. I always use optilock bases with low rings.

What caliber you thinking about selling.... grin

Dink

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Gramps. you were the one to help me figure out my 85 in 25-06 that was hitting my VX-3. That being said I traded that one off due to that. With that low bolt throw why not have a low scope.
I have an 85 in .308 that has been flawless. I really think that it is the long action that has the problems.

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by cbennett

I have an 85 in .308 that has been flawless. I really think that it is the long action that has the problems.

I just got a 9.3x62 in a Black Bear so when I get round to shooting it hopefully in the next week or so, I will be very interested to see if this problem occurs. I will be using 1" extra low Optiloks.....

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
and a 2.5-8 VX 111......

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting observation about the LA's having that issue. I have two 85's in SA and it's never been a problem.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No issue on my Finnlight 85 in 308, I have a 300wsm also but haven't mounted a scope on it yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Sako M995 TRG/S Magnum 30-378 had the same issue. I just used the high rings. Got no cheek weld either.

My BILs Remmy 788 did that when he put a new scope on it. I "fixed" it for him by rotating the scope in the rings 90 degrees CCW. The elevation turret went to the left side and became the windage turret, and the windage turret went on top and became the elevation turret. That way there was no turret sticking out over the ejection port for brass to hit on and bounce back into the loading port instead of on the ground. It worked and he was pleased. Guess it solved the problem to his satisfaction.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had a sako 75 in 270win that used to do the same thing. I remember reading a test report done on sako75 270, where the reviewer stated that he had ejection issues...unless he pulled the bolt back relativley sharply.

This certainly was the case with mine as it was never a problem in the feild when you needed a quick follow up shot and cycled the bolt sharply.

My current 85 in 7mm08 preforms perfectly with no ejection issues and this is with low S&K mounts.

To the original poster,,what cal/action length,, would be most interested to see if the cases eject properly if you pull the bolt back sharply???

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it is strictly a long cartridge, low scope problem. I am another who put a lot of shots thru a short action and never experienced the problem.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
S
SCT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had this problem with a Sako 75 in 300 wsm. I was able to find a scope and ring combination that worked. I agree, it is a design flaw. I think that is why the optilock mounts are so high.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Cervus, we tried pulling the bolt back very sharply also. Second rifle beretta sent me did the same thing. Thought about twisting the scope as Big RedHead noted, but just could'nt live with it. The marks on scope where on the squareish part, not just the cap of the scope. Some marks were almost dead center of the scope. I'm just glad they gave me my full refund. This was about a two month ordeal. Shot the first rifle one time, when I found out it's ejection problem. Thats enough to make a person sick.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Anyone have any pics of the 85 bolt face?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I haven't noticed any problem with my short action 85's even with low scope mounts. I have a long action 85 and haven't noticed the problem but I'm specifically going to test for it next time I go to the range.

G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks to all for your reply's. I currently have a New(or at least it was) Leupold VXIII 3.5x10x40 sitting in Optilock bases and low rings on the rifle. The scope objective clears the barrel by a little less than 1/2". It's a .270 Win, and that seems to be the worst offending caliber. Sent an e-mail to Beretta tech people yesterday, and plan on calling today. If I send it back I think I will get the same response that SPIWONKA got (a gun that still won't work). Mr. Bennett I do remember discussing this with you and your rifle. I had this same problem on a 75 .308 Win, but I finally found that by changing scopes to a Nikon Monarch 3x9 and pulling the scope as far to the rear as posible and using Leupold Medium QD rings and bases it now works. What really drives me up the wall is that someone in Sako/Beretta QC (if there is such a thing) did not see this before thousands were put on the market. A man with one eye and half sense could see if you put an ejector in the 6:00 position it is going to flip up then may be out. Had the design of these rifles been left to the old Finn rifle makers instead of Beretta marketing azzholes this rifle would have functioned like a Swiss clock. In trying to slick the consumer with a three lug slick bolt throw and cutting away the bottom part of the bolt face for controlled feed (which it isn't) they created this problem. I have never had a single problem with older Sako's. As I have aged, I wanted a lighter rifle, my mistake. I guess the old saying is true, "stick with the one what brung you". Thanks for listening to me vent guys, gonna have some breakfast, then take on Beretta.

G2

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.