-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
J
J
Update...Beretta contacted me and sent me a brand new rifle they stated that it failed the accuracy test..Taking new one to the range tomorrow..fingers crossed.

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by jw1073
Update...Beretta contacted me and sent me a brand new rifle they stated that it failed the accuracy test..Taking new one to the range tomorrow..fingers crossed.

Nice, glad to hear. I just bought this same rifle in 30-06 the other day.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice find! I wonder if Beretta/Sako will start using stronger springs in their actions now? A guy can dream...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
With the extractor at about 10 to 11 o'clock in the bolt face and the ejector at 6 o'clock you're still stuck with a very bad design. When the ejector hits the bottom of the case head and pushes it upward rim contact is maintained only with the lower point of the extractor. When the case neck makes contact with the scope tube it causes this pivot point to loose it's grip and the case head squirts down into the action. At that point it's all over. Though I didn't work with a loaded round with my rifle when observing the process repeatedly I suspect a seated bullet would make this condition even worse. Comforting to know in the event you have to eject a fail to fire round and get another in the chamber right now. As I've said before, every time the 85M ejects brass it almost didn't. A stronger plunger spring may make this less likely but cannot totally compensate for the design fault. The actions described above can be easily replicated if you are so amind.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is still working without fail. M-sized action chambered 9.3x62. No matter how hard I pull the extracted case back into the ejector, the case cannot push through and defeat the spring tension grip of the extractor claw to slip out and go straight up into the scope. The claw maintains its grip and the case flips out in the direction of the claw's position on the bolt face. If I were to stick and bind the case into the chamber, I suspect that the extractor claw would have enough grip on the case head to rip off a huge chunk of the case.

As a result, I've been greatly pleased with this design using three 85s chambered in 338, 375, and now this 9.3x62. All three ran without fail straight from the box, with this later 9.3x62 being about as close to perfect tune as it gets. I'd suspect spring tension of the extractor claw, if using spec cases and the ejector is able to over power the claw grip and push the case through the claw and straight up. This may not be the spring at all, but could be a gummed up claw and spring in need of cleaning and oil. If it is a weak spring, then a stiffer spring should result in a stronger grasp of the claw. Even on a perfected 98 Mauser, if the full length extractor was out of proper tension, the performance could suffer.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

J
J
Well took the new finnbear to the range today and had another weird problem. The gun extracted empty cases better it would occasionally hit the receiver at the back of the ejection port and scratch the metal a little bit but that doesnt bother me. What bothered me was the gun would only shoot with a clean barrel and i mean really clean. First three shots i would get a half inch group and then two fliers. I let the barrel cool and didnt clean and shoot again and they wouldnt group again. So i let cool clean again and bam another half inch group. Any ideas? I mean usually a gun shoots better with a fouled barrel.

J
J
I dont know what to do its the most beautiful gun ive ever owned it even has better wood than the last one. If i send it in they will likely try and send me another replacement and i dont want a new gun. Considering sending it to Hill Country Rifles to get accurized.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Trade it in on a Kimber.

Or rotate the scope(which is gay).

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/06/14.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Break it in first. I've had almost a dozen 85's now. They all work better after flushing out the bolt nose, blowing out the extractor area with compressed air and oiling with a light viscosity oil. I would clean the bore well and clean between groups on your next range trip. It may settle down. You may try waiting longer between shots too. Could be the reason you're seeing shots 4 and 5 walk is a hot barrel.

Last edited by Horseman; 12/06/14.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Sounds like those of you that are more industrious could meet this demand for an appropriate deflector shield.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

J
J
Yes i figured shots 4 and 5 were fliers due to hot barrel and i believe i may be getting some contact between stock and barrel after it heats up. Its crazy because i shot 3 different kinds of ammo and with a clean cold barrel( no foul shot) 3 round group half inch and them the same two fliers cool for twenty to thirty minutes and wouldnt group.

J
J
And if i sell this gun a Kimber will not be on my to buy list.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One thing I've had to realize is nothing's perfect. Every design has pros and cons. It's just deciding what characteristics are most important to you. There are a few things I don't like about the 85's but they are still fantastic guns. I'd try my flushing/lube trick on the extractor and see if it still flings empties into the rear bridge of the receiver.

J
J
Will do horseman appreciate the suggestion. The extraction isnt really bothering me at all. Another thing which i find unusual is how long it takes me to clean this gun. My sons tikka takes only a few swipes and doesnt foul.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sounds like it needs to be free-floated.

Then shoot to break it in. Maybe some Tubbs Final Finish to smooth out the barrel.

Then Dyna Bore Coat it.

You've convinced me not to ever get a Sako 85. Sounds like the beauty is only skin deep.

J
J
Yes i agree DakotaDeer this experience has been a nightmare. A rifle that costs this much shouldnt need anything. Very dissapointed to say the least but i will try to make the best of it and get it shooting consistently.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Hey jw, just wondering how it is going with your gun? I bought the same Sako Finnbear in 30-06 and at first had trouble ejecting cartridges until I found a sweet spot by sliding my scope back and forth. I have had a couple of marks on the rear of the receiver where empties have hit also, however, everything seems to be ejecting great now after playing with the scope positioning. Also, I'd like to report, at the range I had some great 3 shot groups with this gun and 5 shot groups that measured ~1.09" with Federal Fusion 165 grain. A little more open than the "5 shot guarantee" but I am not the best shooter out there, just a hunter, and I am sure many could shoot tighter groups from this gun than I.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, I always position scopes to clear empties rather than where it needs to be to shoot it properly...

Really????

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Yeah, I always position scopes to clear empties rather than where it needs to be to shoot it properly...

Really????

Really? Well no kidding. Just so happens that my scope placement works for me and allows my gun to clear empties.

Last edited by NEhunter; 12/12/14.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Really????
Hey now, he's just following the advice Beretta Customer Service (there's that 3 word oxymoron again) gave me. God as my witness I was told they couldn't guarantee every scope and mount combination to work so I should experiment with different scopes and mounts and positioning. LOL.....I mean really, it's only a $1500 or so rifle what do you expect??? that they should work with just any old medium height rings and any old 1" tube scope positioned just where YOU want it??? You gotta be flexible man. LOL.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1badf350, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.