Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Here is Laz, my pitbull and Bels, my Running Walker.

He was a fighter in the greater Atlanta area until he was "rescued" when the DF ring was broken up over a 1.5yrs ago. As all pits in his county, he was given 3-days to be adopted by an organized (with tax ID number) rescue or he would be put down.

I went and did a temperament test on him and he passed w/o any issue. I signed him out, originally to foster but decided to keep him as my own. He was ZERO people aggression but heavy dog aggression towards dominant dogs (not a surprise). Now after living with me for over a year I can honestly say he is the best dog I have ever had. My wife and I also have Bels, a Running Walker hound who is extremely submissive and they get along great. Anyways, thought I would share.

Pics: in front of the abandoned Detroit Train Station, the pic I saw of him during his 3-day death row, a roadtrip with Bels, roadtrip w/o the wife, Bels in pursuit of a rabbit in the backyard.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Team_Tricky; 04/06/12.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Laz looks allot like my Pit. Mine was a rescue as well. Mine is absolutely the smartest and most well behaved dog I have ever been around or seen. They are a very resilient breed and can definitely be rehabilitated. Good for you for saving him!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great looking dogs! cool

I had a pit that someone threw away on our country road years ago, Lil-Bear. He turned out to be one of the best upland hunting dogs I ever owned. He was a sweetheart, too, and I never heard him growl at anything or anyone, let alone attack.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Nice looking dogs. I had a red/brindle Pit Bull too. Mine had a good bit more white on him though. There is a LOT of Pit hating on this site. Just be prepared. Glad to know that you resuced a nice dog. Congrats to both of you!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pit-Bull as an upland hunting dog made me laugh.

I have an Austrailian Cattle Dog who is the best flushing and retrieving dog west of the Mississippi!

I grew up in Ohio and no one ever had a fancy gun dog. All dogs were hunting dogs. Oh, ok there was a guy with a beagle.

Last edited by Reba; 04/25/12.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

T
TDF Offline
T
This thread makes me smile. Kudos to you for rescuing that dog, and congratulations on what he has become.

Mr. Marbles is a almost a spitting image of Laz (save for the narrow chest with a little less white). He was a pound puppy that I got at 8 weeks. They thought he might be pit crossed with a Lab/cattle dog female (the mother was there also, she was obviously lab/cattle dog) but changed there minds and decided he was boxer. Now that he's grown and I've seen him next to a few boxer's I tend to think he's boxer, but there's just too much mutt there to ever know for sure. Either way he's similar to Laz, zero agression towards humans has been shown in his 8.5 years, but he does get snappy around dominant or excited dogs, though he eventually settles down. And is easily the best dog I've ever been associated with. Extremely well behaved and loads of personality. Plus he turned out to be a darn good hunter, who's shown up a few expensive hunting dogs over the years.

TDF

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TDF; 05/01/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reba
Pit-Bull as an upland hunting dog made me laugh.

I have an Austrailian Cattle Dog who is the best flushing and retrieving dog west of the Mississippi!

I grew up in Ohio and no one ever had a fancy gun dog. All dogs were hunting dogs. Oh, ok there was a guy with a beagle.

Let's see some pics!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is another "non-gun dog" that lives to hunt.

[Linked Image]
Runt of the litter. Barely survived as a puppy. Born in Oct in the onset of a bad winter. Had to fight for a tit. Frozen water bowl most of the time. I bought her from a rancher who said she was too small, legs too short for herding.

[Linked Image]
She always was a fetch maniac. Newspaper, frisbee, balls, ducks.

Her very first retrieve I sent her after a big nasty wounded hissing Canada goose that I had knocked down. What a fight. I shouldn't have sent her, but she drug it back quite a ways before I could get there and wring it's neck.

Later she earned an HRC Started title in regional hunt tests. That is where this second picture is from.

These days she has had back surgery and is on heart medication. She can't go far anymore but she still loves to fetch a duck at the local pond or go on a real short pheasant hunt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (6mmCreedmoor, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,766 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.