Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I want to get into LR shooting nothing formal.

I am looking at the NF 5.5x22x50 NXS and the
LEUPOLD Mark 4 Tactical 8.5-25X50LR I can get the leo for 1300 and the NF for 1700.

What are the differences in tracking, clarity, reliability etc.

Any input would be great.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
To me the biggest differences are weight (NF wieghs a lot more), choice of useful reticals (NF has them), cost (NF costs more.) The differences you question are very comparable to me. The NF has a reputation for reliable tracking better than Leupold. My scopes are Leupold and they track fine. I have no use for the Mark 4 line. VX3 works for most of my needs. I do like the M-1 dials though.

Last edited by HiredGun; 04/24/12.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Fotis

LEUPOLD Mark 4 Tactical 8.5-25X50LR I can get the leo for 1300 and the NF for 1700.

Absolute perfect tracking, reliability, consistency, and durability with the Nightforce. This is not theoretical statements or fanboy'ism. We see upwards of 100,000 rounds a year shot. I have never seen a NF have issues.

The Leupold is a decent scope however spin those turrets enough and it will develop problems. Again, I'm not guessing.

You can pick up used Nightforce's for around $1,000-$1,200. That's what I would do. There are no worries with buying a used NF. It will work perfectly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You have two very different scopes. The NF is truly a hard-use, tactical scope...literally bullet-proof. It will maintain its reliability unless you take a 5 lb sledge hammer to it and pound it flat against your barrel. The Leupold, while a decent scope, is in no way the equal of the NF for tactical rifle use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pop,

Nightforce - professional use,serious competition,high round count.

Leupold - casual use,serious competition with frozen or modified erector,low round count.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Pop,

Nightforce - professional use,serious competition,high round count.

Leupold - casual use,serious competition with frozen or modified erector,low round count.

dave

Dave about covered it perfectly. The only way these two are close in my opinion is the glass and that is debateable. If you want tops in glass you have to go with one of the european manufacturers.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you guys.

μολὼν λαβέ

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
NXS hand down!

you can save $300 by installing your own "zero stop" in the NXS

drill and tap the scope cap and put in a threaded allen head screw just like the "zero adjust". works perfect smile

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Is there any way to get a duplex style reticle in a NF scope?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yes, the NP-1
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Yes, the NP-1
[Linked Image]

Dude, nice sig.

dave

[Linked Image]

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
nice

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do military snipers use ?

Schmidt and Bender

Nightforce

?s

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whiteeyes

Schmidt and Bender

Nightforce

?s

Hey Larry how come you changed your avatar on your interthem username?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Schmidt and Bender

Nightforce

?s

Whiteeyes / Larry Root!

While we have your attention, please start a new thread and regal us with you heroic exploits during your 3 tours in 'Nam as a THUD / F-105 "Fighter Pilot"... Remember, loosing your friends over Red River....bunking with "Marine Snipers"... expert Marksman Badges with four different weapons... 600 and 1000 yard matches that you won while in the Air Force... your much claimed and touted combat service...

Absolutely riveting and fascinating tales! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He (yellow eyes) did three tours in California.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Excuse me ? Nightforce gets a military contract every year for about 50 scopes from what I've seen. The US Army has long used Leupolds in several forms on their sniper and other tactical rifles.
The USMC does use S&B's. That's because they wrote specs that fit the S&B scope they adopted back when Leupold didn't make anything that close the specs the USMC insisted on.
I'd also point out that it's hardly fair comparing NF scopes to Leupolds in general. Afterall, Leupold makes everything from cheap $200 scopes all the way the the $4000 Mk.8's.
Speaking of the Mk.8, the military asked the major scope companies to develop a scope with those specs. Apparently only Leupold could make one that actually worked.
As to reliability, how come NF has such a huge backlog on repairs for their scopes ? Last I heard, it was over six months. Owners with "minor" problems were encouraged not to send their scopes in at all. In contrast, when I last talked to Leupold, which was last week, their response was " I'm not sure, send it in and we'll look at it." E

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
E, stop. Please. You know nothing of military sniping or sniper equipment.

These are the Leupolds issued in the military.

Ultra M3A (or MK4) 10x40
MK4 LR M3 3.5-10x40
MK4 4.5-14x50 M1
TS-30 A2 3�9�36
MK8 1.1-8x24 CQBSS
MK4 34mm 6.5-20x50

There are/were a few others in limited numbers.

The only ones that don't have consistent problems are the fixed 10x, the MK8 CQBSS, and the new 34mm 6.5-20x50.

The rest fail at an unacceptable rate for military sniper use.

Your statement about Nightforce's military contracts and repair backlog is false. They have, and have had, several contracts within USSOCOM, NAVSPECWAR, and USASOC. They currently have one worth 25.8 million dollars.

They do have a huge backlog across the board with their optics because they are selling every single scope they can make. It has nothing to do with repairs.

I have spent 7 years as a military duty slotted sniper. I have been issued, used, and shot every scope mentioned in this thread. I have seen the variable Leupolds fail at around 25-30% rate. That is- it is not uncommon to have 2 or 3 variable power Leupolds out of 10 develop issues when used hard. I have seen both S&B and Premier scopes have issues (granted there have been very few). I have never seen a NF fail (including the one with the bullet through it). I'm sure they break like all things made, but I would bet they have the lowest failure rate of any US issued sniper scope.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Refreshing to hear comments from those that don't need to guess or fabricate bad information. I've given up hope long ago on E.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the great inside info, Formidilosus

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I have never seen a NF fail (including the one with the bullet through it). I'm sure they break like all things made, but I would bet they have the lowest failure rate of any US issued sniper scope.

the NF that took an AK47 bullet sold me my first NF. the story went that the guy using that scope just taped up the holes up and continued using the scope until a replacement could be sourced.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I sure hate to be the negative one here but a buddy of mine shoots at the Nationals each year along with his son. The son owns several junior records and is an optics nut. He has rotated through more scopes than I can count but he went from a Mark IV to a NF and liked it to start with but in the past year and a half it's been back to NF for 3 different repairs. He has told me he sure wishes for his Mark IV back. I looked through his NF and was not impressed by the optic clarity and contrast but maybe that was just me. I know others have different experiences and for the most part it does seem the NF's are pretty bomb proof but that's what I know.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Excuse me ? Nightforce gets a military contract every year for about 50 scopes from what I've seen. The US Army has long used Leupolds in several forms on their sniper and other tactical rifles.
The USMC does use S&B's. That's because they wrote specs that fit the S&B scope they adopted back when Leupold didn't make anything that close the specs the USMC insisted on.
I'd also point out that it's hardly fair comparing NF scopes to Leupolds in general. Afterall, Leupold makes everything from cheap $200 scopes all the way the the $4000 Mk.8's.
Speaking of the Mk.8, the military asked the major scope companies to develop a scope with those specs. Apparently only Leupold could make one that actually worked.
As to reliability, how come NF has such a huge backlog on repairs for their scopes ? Last I heard, it was over six months. Owners with "minor" problems were encouraged not to send their scopes in at all. In contrast, when I last talked to Leupold, which was last week, their response was " I'm not sure, send it in and we'll look at it." E

This post is about 90% lies and the other 10% is speculation. Its great that you are happy with your Leupold customer service. I bet you are pleased that they repair your scope every time you have to send the piece of junk in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Customer Service is "code" for "my broken scope".

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Tulie
I sure hate to be the negative one here but a buddy of mine shoots at the Nationals each year along with his son. The son owns several junior records and is an optics nut. He has rotated through more scopes than I can count but he went from a Mark IV to a NF and liked it to start with but in the past year and a half it's been back to NF for 3 different repairs. He has told me he sure wishes for his Mark IV back. I looked through his NF and was not impressed by the optic clarity and contrast but maybe that was just me. I know others have different experiences and for the most part it does seem the NF's are pretty bomb proof but that's what I know.

That never has been NF's claim to fame. It's their utmost repeatability and bulletproof construction. I don't find their optics up to par with the scope price, but I have the luxury of not having people shooting back at me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by toad
I have never seen a NF fail (including the one with the bullet through it). I'm sure they break like all things made, but I would bet they have the lowest failure rate of any US issued sniper scope.

the NF that took an AK47 bullet sold me my first NF. the story went that the guy using that scope just taped up the holes up and continued using the scope until a replacement could be sourced.

[Linked Image]

When that first occurred they had the troop who was issued the scope displaying it on his rifle. Absolutely amazing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Formidilosus,

Thank you for your service sir!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya gotta love the way the troll make stuff up when they have nothing to contribute to a thread !

As I said:

Nightforce & Schmidt and Bender.

I'd rather have the old Unertl and Swaro fixed 10Xs than any Leupold. Never seen a Leupy on a Barrett semi have you ?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd rather have the old Unertl and Swaro fixed 10Xs than any Leupold. Never seen a Leupy on a Barrett semi have you ?

sure.

go to Barrett watch the slide show. you'll see a few. no Unertl or Swaro though. wonder why...

look familiar?

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
E, stop. Please. You know nothing of military sniping or sniper equipment.

Ultra M3A (or MK4) 10x40
MK4 LR M3 3.5-10x40
MK4 4.5-14x50 M1
TS-30 A2 3�9�36
MK8 1.1-8x24 CQBSS
MK4 34mm 6.5-20x50

The only ones that don't have consistent problems are the fixed 10x, the MK8 CQBSS, and the new 34mm 6.5-20x50.

Your statement about Nightforce's military contracts and repair backlog is false. They have, and have had, several contracts within USSOCOM, NAVSPECWAR, and USASOC. They currently have one worth 25.8 million dollars.

They do have a huge backlog across the board with their optics because they are selling every single scope they can make. It has nothing to do with repairs.

I have spent 7 years as a military duty slotted sniper. I have been issued, used, and shot every scope mentioned in this thread. I have seen the variable Leupolds fail at around 25-30% rate. That is- it is not uncommon to have 2 or 3 variable power Leupolds out of 10 develop issues when used hard. I have seen both S&B and Premier scopes have issues (granted there have been very few). I have never seen a NF fail (including the one with the bullet through it). I'm sure they break like all things made, but I would bet they have the lowest failure rate of any US issued sniper scope.

Formidilosus,

Thank you for your service.

If I may ask, exactly what kind of failures did you see with the Leupolds?

JD338

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Formidilosus,

Thank you for your service sir!

+1. I'd like to offer my appreciation also.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Tulie

That never has been NF's claim to fame. It's their utmost repeatability and bulletproof construction. I don't find their optics up to par with the scope price, but I have the luxury of not having people shooting back at me.

that is true and the reason that the F class guys like them so much. absolute repeatability. I was just stating my very limited experience and what I do know from my buddy. His has not held up as well as his previous Mark IV. Might just be the one that is that way but he's not very pleased at this moment.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+2

Hate war, but soldiers are top of the heap in my book.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thank you for your service.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

dave

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Guys I appreciate the thanks but there is no reason for it. There are a lot of people that have paid a heavy price in the last decade and I'm not one of them. I've lived my childhood dream for the last 7+ years.

Ya gotta love the way the troll make stuff up when they have nothing to contribute to a thread !

As I said:

Nightforce & Schmidt and Bender.

Actually yes.

[Linked Image]

The Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 M1 is the US Army standard issue scope for the M107 Barrett.

Originally Posted by JD338

Formidilosus,

Thank you for your service.

If I may ask, exactly what kind of failures did you see with the Leupolds?

JD338

It's almost always with tracking. Either inconsistent tracking, getting sporadic "jumps" or fliers when making an adjustment, or sometimes total failure of the erector system. This only really manifests itself when constantly dialing. Once zeroed and left they tend to hold zero very reliably. My experience with training hunters over the last few years, and my own hunting/shooting confirms this across the board. And it's not just with Leupolds, truthfully they are probably better then most of the major hunting scope brands in this regard.

If I was a zero and forget it kind of person, then I would have no problem using most Leupolds for hunting. Like I said they will hold a zero through rough handling, which is something I can not say for most. Since I'm not a set and forget guy and I like using my hunting rifle to it's full capability, I want to be able to dial. So I use Leupold fixed power scopes. Specifically 6x's. They are durable, reliable and track well.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Guys I appreciate the thanks but there is no reason for it. There are a lot of people that have paid a heavy price in the last decade and I'm not one of them. I've lived my childhood dream for the last 7+ years.

I disagree...because of you, and men and women like you, we, here on American soil need fear no foreign invasions, bombs falling from enemies of America and even terrorism has been contained. I am 99.99% sure that when I wake up in the morning, everything domestically will be just like it was when I go to sleep tonight. That is because of the brave men & women of our armed forces and we, the civilian population, do owe each and every one of you a heartfelt thank you for your service. Praise God that you were not seriously maimed or killed, but that in no way diminishes the fact that you did serve and did put your life on the line for those of us "back home".

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
F, of the issues you have seen with the Leupy's not maintaining accurate tracking adjustments, does it occur on a particular weapon system? Also, does the problem usually show up after a given number of shots or adjustments? In an earlier post, you said something like 30% of the Leupolds have malfunctions. Does this mean that the remaining 70% performed as advertised, indefinitely? Also, just out of curiosity, how many rounds do you guys fire during your training in CONUS, and on what weapon systems/calibers? Thanks for your time.

Jeff

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
F, of the issues you have seen with the Leupy's not maintaining accurate tracking adjustments, does it occur on a particular weapon system? Also, does the problem usually show up after a given number of shots or adjustments? In an earlier post, you said something like 30% of the Leupolds have malfunctions. Does this mean that the remaining 70% performed as advertised, indefinitely? Also, just out of curiosity, how many rounds do you guys fire during your training in CONUS, and on what weapon systems/calibers? Thanks for your time.

Jeff

It is common to see 2 to 3 Leupold variables out of 10 have issues in a week long class, figuring anywhere from 500-1,000 rounds depending on what rifle is used. So I can't say the other 70% work indefinitely. To be sure some do and some don't. Recoil doesn't seem to be the problem. On military guns they are used on 5.56mm, 308's, 300WinMags, and .50's. With a few 338 Lapua's thrown in for good measure.

Round count varies from unit to unit in the military. Most in the conventional Army do not get near enough. With the military, my training company and competition I see well over 100,000 rounds shot at long range a year.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Wow, that's a lot of shooting! I'm envious.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On rifles that were accurate enough to tell,I never had a loopie go over 1500 rounds without issues.Most dont make it that far.
Seen it time and again.
The loopie erector will die in increments.
The scope itself will still function but have .3 to .6 of crap in the erector.
Sometime more.
Very commen.
Not something the 2 box of shells a year kinda guy would notice.

dave

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Dammit! I wish I had known this before I put a Mark 4 on my 700P. So far so good, but I haven't put more than probably 500 rounds through it yet. What do you guys do when you have this problem? Scrap a thousand dollar scope? I hope there is a less painful way...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well i've never seen it but I do hear of the odd loopie that will hold up.
Maybe you'll get luckey.
Education can be painful.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When it breaks, just send it in and they will fix it. They have had plenty of practice to get their customer service to a level that other brands can't match. crazy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'll keep my fingers crossed. Or maybe I can get my money out of it on ebay. If I do that now, I can honestly say there is nothing wrong with it at least.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Leupold will always fix it then you can trip it...no big deal!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have never lost a cent buying Leupold glass. When ever my needs changed and needed to sell one I have always at least broke even and a few times almost doubled my money. History has proven investing in Leupold has shown to be a better place for my money than a savings account. It would be interesting to hear what long time users of Night Force are getting back on their investment.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Last I heard, every scope mfg had a customer service/repair department......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Formidilosus
Like You I have been a slotted sniper for several years. And have seen/used all the scopes you mention, by far the most problems we have seen are with the MK 4 M2 3.5-10 SASS scope.
The M3 LR has been relatively trouble free comparatively.
I saw my first Nightforce failure the other day. One of the 3.5-15 F1 H58 reticle. Have to send it back to find out what happened.
To the OP I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice for your stated purpose. Personally I prefer Nightforce, but would be happy with with the Leupold.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I opted for the SWFA SS-HD 5-20x50mm. Just ordered it

μολὼν λαβέ

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Formidilosus, so now Leupold does make scopes that work, but most of other Leupold scopes fail at a 20-30% rate which is unacceptable for military use ?
Want to explain why the military uses such scopes ? Or do they ?
Again, 20-30% fail ? Again, which Leupolds ? Even you have posted that the much cheaper 6X42, FX3's work fine and are reliable.
Oh, BTW, how about the MRT series ? The military didn't request their development and they are not used by them ?
I'll grant my informnation about how many Nightforce scopes the military buys is incomplete. I believe I alluded to that. Wonderful.
You odviously know more about military sniping than I do. That's fine. But I know a few things about Leupolds. When you start telling us they fail at a 20-30% rate, I have to question what you are refering to. Because that's a very long way from what I've seen.
Apparently "failure" means the scope didn't track perfectly each and every time. But, again, even you admit that some of them do. But you keep insisting on saying that they aren't reliable w/o describing which ones. Hardly fair to compare a cheap hunting scope to a far more expensive tactical scope. And to call all of them unreliable because their cheaper models don't measure up to the rigors of tactical use. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 04/26/12.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I love my Mk4 LR! I have it on a .308, so hope it is the minority. From a one vet to another, thanks!

Good Shooting!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any amount of failure is unacceptable on a two way rifle range.
Im reminded of the picture of the Nightforce that ate a bullet,
and kept on ticking.

dave

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Haven't got to play with one of those yet. I almost bought one, but the lack of a zero stop pushed me in another direction. I have been bit by the one full revolution under in a match a couple of times. (slow learner I guess)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
+2

Hate war

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Who the [bleep] loves war anyway? Do you also hate rainy days traffic lights and rude people? kee-rist. Otherwise a great informative thread.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Formidilosus, so now Leupold does make scopes that work, but most of other Leupold scopes fail at a 20-30% rate which is unacceptable for military use ?...//...And to call all of them unreliable because their cheaper models don't measure up to the rigors of tactical use. E

E, he posted which models were having a 20% to 30% failure rate. Go back and read for comprehension this time rather than just posting more inane drivel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
+2

Hate war

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Who the [bleep] loves war anyway? Do you also hate rainy days traffic lights and rude people? kee-rist. Otherwise a great informative thread.

Some hotheaded wingnuts (Jorge!) mistake my desire to see the US engage in much less war, and my willingness to criticize recent politicians for engaging us in adventurous wars, as being anti-military and, by extension, anti-soldier. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Soldiers are the best. Now STFU and let a good thread continue without your hysterics, please.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Formidilosus,...//...Even you have posted that the much cheaper 6X42, FX3's work fine and are reliable.

Funny how you picked THAT sentence out of his post, but missed entirely when he listed which Leupold scopes were experiencing a 20% to 30% failure rate. Must be a case of selective comprehension and/or blindness. You're a mullet E...a plain ol' muck sucking mullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eremicus, if you are going to break this guys balls with unsubstantiated BS, at least you could read his posts......you know...extend the guy some freakin curiosity.

Ultra M3A (or MK4) 10x40
MK4 LR M3 3.5-10x40
MK4 4.5-14x50 M1
TS-30 A2 3�9�36
MK8 1.1-8x24 CQBSS
MK4 34mm 6.5-20x50

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Funny you mentioned reading skills here Dood. He commented that the Leupold posted would not be as good as the Nightforce mentioned. Then he says later that Leupold variables aren't reliable. Then he lists the Mk.4 3.5-10X40 variable as in service by the US military. But we are suppose to believe that Leupold variables aren't reliable......
Oh, I nearly forgot. Didn't he mentioned the new Mk8 scopes as also being in service with the military ?
All I can say is that our poor military guys sure do shoot alot of unreliable variable Leupolds.
Funny they don't wise up and use Nightforce scopes instead.
Most of the serious tactical shooters and ex military guys I've run into over the years say they are both excellent. The trick is to buy the NXS or the Mk.4 Leupold that meets your requirements. Try to get by with a cheap Leupold converted to tactical shooting by adding a few dials and it might not work under heavy use.
On the other hand, don't believe that NXS scopes will last forever under any conditions. Their very long waiting time proves that isn't so. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 04/26/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All I can say is that our poor military guys sure do shoot alot of unreliable variable Leupolds.
E

Yep.

dave

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Please E leave it alone, your reading comprehension alone has me feeling sorry for you. Cripes I've seen 100 different people alone try and tell you how to spell "obvious" and "trophy" and you still spell it wrong every time. But the shame in this entire thread is the fact that you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
cfran,

E is a fuggin' mullet. He's too old to change or read with comprehension being the goal. He reads looking for his own two or three preconceived notions. When he finds them, that's the center piece for his argument. When he doesn't, he just skips over that part of the post. He's a worthless mullet.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
cfran,

E is a fuggin' mullet. He's too old to change or read with comprehension being the goal. He reads looking for his own two or three preconceived notions. When he finds them, that's the center piece for his argument. When he doesn't, he just skips over that part of the post. He's a worthless mullet.

I don't harbor any anger for E, quite the contrary. I'm not sure calling anyone a "mullet" will do any good, with that said it sure would be nice if he'd stop with the lies/misinformation. Otherwise I agree that you've nailed his mode of operation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+2

Hate war

Some hotheaded wingnuts (Jorge!) ... Soldiers are the best. Now STFU ...

You are aware that Jorge1 has given a career serving his country as a US Naval Aviator .... Jeff STFU! wink ... As 'Stick often said, YOU could learn a lot by taking notes and not yapping

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jimminy cricket.

If we could talk about scopes that would be nice. Regardless of what all of you are saying about Leupolds, from what I am getting out of this thread, they are being issued to troops deploying in theatre. That must mean something. If not, why are they still issued?

F, do you guys just swap out scopes, zero them and get back to business when one goes south? What is the SOP for a defective scope and getting that weapon back in the fight?

Last edited by Jeffrey; 04/26/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My intent is NOT to hijack this thread and I apologize but suffice to say I have neither the desire nor patience to dig up the scads of things JeffObama has spewed about the armed forces and again WTF does "hating war" have to to with this thread? AV thanks for the kind words and again I apologize to all but this jerk just makes me nuts. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by cfran
I don't harbor any anger for E, quite the contrary. I'm not sure calling anyone a "mullet" will do any good, with that said it sure would be nice if he'd stop with the lies/misinformation. Otherwise I agree that you've nailed his mode of operation.

When anyone on the field pulled a bone-headed play, or the guy you could count on to screw up, did, our coaches called them a mullet. As far as calling E a mullet doing any good; it makes me feel better. If others are offended by such an innocuous word as "mullet" perhaps they're on the wrong forum.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
E, why are you speculating on military sniper optics? You have no clue what you are talking about. "Serious tactical shooters or ex military???? Give me a break. That statement is all the more ludicrous because you are "arguing" with a sniper right now. I have been issued and used the M110, M24, MK12 MOD 0 and MOD 1, SR 25, M2010, MK 13 MOD 5, M82 and M107 Barrett, among others.

Leupold has only one (1) variable scope that was selected over other optics by the military. That being the MK8 1.1-8x CQBSS. The rest came as a package with the weapon system. Knight Armament chose the MK4 3.5-10x40 LR as the scope to put on the M110 SASS. Remington chose the 6.5-20x50 34mm MK4 for the M2010, and Barrett chose the MK4 4.5-14x50 for the M107.

The sniper scopes that have been tested and won contracts by the military in the last ten years are Schmidt and Bender and Nightforce.

Leupold is starting to get their head right and are producing some truly good scopes with the 34mm tube 6.5-20x50 MK4, the MK8 line, and the new MK 6's show promise.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Funny you mentioned reading skills here Dood. He commented that the Leupold posted would not be as good as the Nightforce mentioned. Then he says later that Leupold variables aren't reliable. Then he lists the Mk.4 3.5-10X40 variable as in service by the US military. But we are suppose to believe that Leupold variables aren't reliable......
Oh, I nearly forgot. Didn't he mentioned the new Mk8 scopes as also being in service with the military ?
Funny they don't wise up and use Nightforce scopes instead.
Most of the serious tactical shooters and ex military guys I've run into over the years say they are both excellent. The trick is to buy the NXS or the Mk.4 Leupold that meets your requirements. Try to get by with a cheap Leupold converted to tactical shooting by adding a few dials and it might not work under heavy use.
On the other hand, don't believe that NXS scopes will last forever under any conditions. Their very long waiting time proves that isn't so. E

This little passage proves beyond any doubt that you lack even rudimentary critical thinking skills.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Jimminy cricket.
F, do you guys just swap out scopes, zero them and get back to business when one goes south? What is the SOP for a defective scope and getting that weapon back in the fight?

Depends on the system and unit. For the M24 it had to go back to Remington as it was a "System".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Formidilosus
What would be your current favorite unit?

What would be your dream unit?

Say for out to 1000 yards

dave

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jimminy cricket.

Depends on the system and unit. For the M24 it had to go back to Remington as it was a "System".

Awesome... I wonder how much tax payers have to pay for such model efficiency.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
So say someday my Mark 4 variable takes a dive, would I be wise in replacing it with the fixed 10x Mark 4?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

When anyone on the field pulled a bone-headed play, or the guy you could count on to screw up, did, our coaches called them a mullet. As far as calling E a mullet doing any good; it makes me feel better. If others are offended by such an innocuous word as "mullet" perhaps they're on the wrong forum.

The only mullet you know anything about is the one you wore on your head back in the 80's..... grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
E, why are you speculating on military sniper optics? You have no clue what you are talking about. "Serious tactical shooters or ex military???? Give me a break. That statement is all the more ludicrous because you are "arguing" with a sniper right now. I have been issued and used the M110, M24, MK12 MOD 0 and MOD 1, SR 25, M2010, MK 13 MOD 5, M82 and M107 Barrett, among others.

Leupold has only one (1) variable scope that was selected over other optics by the military. That being the MK8 1.1-8x CQBSS. The rest came as a package with the weapon system. Knight Armament chose the MK4 3.5-10x40 LR as the scope to put on the M110 SASS. Remington chose the 6.5-20x50 34mm MK4 for the M2010, and Barrett chose the MK4 4.5-14x50 for the M107.

The sniper scopes that have been tested and won contracts by the military in the last ten years are Schmidt and Bender and Nightforce.

Leupold is starting to get their head right and are producing some truly good scopes with the 34mm tube 6.5-20x50 MK4, the MK8 line, and the new MK 6's show promise.

I bolded the passage of particular interest for you E. Did you notice the very conspicuous absence of the Leupold brand in that passage? Hmmmmm?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jimminy cricket.

Awesome... I wonder how much tax payers have to pay for such model efficiency.

Surely you aren't serious...are you? Hussein has wasted BILLIONS on drivel. Snipers are a very small portion of the armed forces. If sniper units sent the whole system back for a stripped out screw head it wouldn't even register on the bottom line of our defense budget. Hussein has wasted BILLIONS on trying to ruin capitalism and our fossil fuel economy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My intent is NOT to hijack this thread and I apologize but suffice to say I have neither the desire nor patience to dig up the scads of things JeffObama has spewed about the armed forces and again WTF does "hating war" have to to with this thread? AV thanks for the kind words and again I apologize to all but this jerk just makes me nuts. jorge

Boy, you are one screechy little teakettle.

If you did have the patience and desire to dig through the scads of things I've said about our military you'll not find me denigrating the soldier. Ever. You will find me talking about the size, cost, and mission-- which are things you yourself have your issues with-- so please, either back up what you claim about me or STFU. But enough with the petulance and distortions. Not cool.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bro, this is way to much information for him to digest. After reading that, he'll probably start quoting DEVA tests or perhaps school you on proper focusing techniques.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Boy, you are one screechy little teakettle.

If you did have the patience and desire to dig through the scads of things I've said about our military you'll not find me denigrating the soldier. Ever. You will find me talking about the size, cost, and mission-- which are things you yourself have your issues with-- so please, either back up what you claim about me or STFU. But enough with the petulance and distortions. Not cool.

Why don't you two take this feud some place else.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Unless ALOT has changed since I was in the Army, just 'cause the military uses something, doesn't mean it's good, reliable, etc. When I was in (15-20yrs ago), alot of our equipment was junk.

Listening to the actual users (like Formidilosus) experience/opinions/etc. gives better info on the stuff than just knowing that it's used by the military. Not saying Leupold is junk, etc. (I have several myself on hunting rifles and I like 'em), just saying don't think just 'cause the military uses something that it must be the best of the best.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Formidilosus,

Thanks not just for your service but the excellent info you've provided on this thread. I've used a lot of various brands of scopes but not usually on the same sorts of rifles you have experience with.

One of the things I found interesting was your comments on fixed 6x Leupolds for your own hunting. What's your experience with higher-X fixed Leupolds?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TXRam
Unless ALOT has changed since I was in the Army, just 'cause the military uses something, doesn't mean it's good, reliable, etc. When I was in (15-20yrs ago), alot of our equipment was junk.

Listening to the actual users (like Formidilosus) experience/opinions/etc. gives better info on the stuff than just knowing that it's used by the military. Not saying Leupold is junk, etc. (I have several myself on hunting rifles and I like 'em), just saying don't think just 'cause the military uses something that it must be the best of the best.

I agree with you completely. My career was in law enforcement, so I'm quite familiar with the concept of buying and using equipment from "the lowest bidder". I just think it's amusing that Eremicus is arguing with a guy who is currently in the military and speaking from his own experience. Frankly, Eremicus is making an absolute fool of himself.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RDFinn
...Frankly, Eremicus is making an absolute fool of himself.

Roy,

That's a rhetorical statement; one that goes without saying.

A fool can only be a fool regardless of how hard he tries to pretend otherwise.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Formidilosus

dave

Scope, rifle, or both?

So say someday my Mark 4 variable takes a dive, would I be wise in replacing it with the fixed 10x Mark 4?

That depends if a fixed power scope will meet your needs? To be sure the fixed power Mark 4's are more reliable. I would look towards another scope before running a fixed 10x scope again though. There are several variable scopes on the market that will be, and are as reliable as the MK4 10x40.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Formidilosus,

Thanks not just for your service but the excellent info you've provided on this thread. I've used a lot of various brands of scopes but not usually on the same sorts of rifles you have experience with.

One of the things I found interesting was your comments on fixed 6x Leupolds for your own hunting. What's your experience with higher-X fixed Leupolds?

I have a lot more experience with the 6's then any other, for good reason as you know, however, I have seen no issues with a couple of 8x's (or 7.5's?), the 10x's and a 12x or two. I do know that the bench rest crowd has "serious" problems with the fixed power competition models, but then again they will notice a tenth of an inch like it was a big pink elephant in the room. Of course you know this, but any fixed power scope is going to be more reliable and durable then a comparable variable all else being equal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the info. I haven't tried the benchrest fixed Leupolds, but have been told by top benchresters of the "problems" getting the last few hundredths of an inch in group size. I do have a Mark 4 10x on one of my hunting rifles and so far it has worked very well. Time will tell!

My wife likes even more magnification in hunting scopes than I do, and has been switching over to the 8x36 M8 when she can find them. I kinda wish they made an 8x42 FX-III or something like that, but also doubt there's much of a market for one!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I opted for the SWFA SS-HD 5-20x50mm. Just ordered it

Good choice.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm looking at shooting out to a thousand yards with my 700P. I have a 3.5x10 now, and I think it is plenty of magnification. Come to think of it, I don't really ever take it off 10x anyway.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the info. I haven't tried the benchrest fixed Leupolds, but have been told by top benchresters of the "problems" getting the last few hundredths of an inch in group size. I do have a Mark 4 10x on one of my hunting rifles and so far it has worked very well. Time will tell!

My wife likes even more magnification in hunting scopes than I do, and has been switching over to the 8x36 M8 when she can find them. I kinda wish they made an 8x42 FX-III or something like that, but also doubt there's much of a market for one!

If I had my dream, pre-64 300 H&H, the scope you just invented would be my first choice.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Formidilosus
If that picture you posted is your unit training we probably know a few people in common. On a side note we just picked up a couple of the new Schmidts with the Tremor 2 reticle for the 300 WM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Formidilosus

dave

Scope, rifle, or both?

Both.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Will something like this do?

http://swfa.com/Leupold-8x40-FX-II-Riflescope-P50857.aspx

Gerry.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
After reading this thread, and what I consider to be expert opinion and actual use from Formidilosis, I have brilliantly come to the following conclusions:

1. If you're a sniper or tactical guy and shoot a whole lot,
use something besides Leupold.
2. If you're a hunter, you'll likely never wear out a Leupold

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
After reading this thread, and what I consider to be expert opinion and actual use from Formidilosis, I have brilliantly come to the following conclusions:

1. If you're a sniper or tactical guy and shoot a whole lot,
use something besides Leupold.
2. If you're a hunter, you'll likely never wear out a Leupold

Thats a good point but im reminded of guys I know that have what should be very accurate rifles.Say .5 moa kinda guns.But they can never quite get there.
The rifle hovers around 1 moa or more.
They play with loads and seating depths and screw around with all manner of crap.But never really solve there problem.
And almost everytime I've seen this, its got a loopie on top..
Granted the 2 box a shells a year kinda guy, will never be able to tell.
But with loopie, if you get out and shoot alittle more.You will either see it,or cause it to happen.

dave

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I dont' shoot my deer guns a whole lot compared to some guys here, but I probably put 100 rounds on them every year. I've had 3 different Leupy's, a Swaro A, a Conquest, and an old 4x Denver Redfield on a particular Tikka 695 7mag I like. I've shot.5-.750 groups routinely with every Leupold that's been on there, all with factory ammo. I haven't had a single hunter show up in camp (probably 75 or so) that's had trouble with a Leupold either. Coincidenc?, maybe so, but I don't think leupold failures on hunting rigs are very common at all. The SwaroA is the only one that gave up on me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JG

I have a old 24x friction style AO loopie that I've had for decades on a chuck gun.
Never a problem.
SO far.

dave

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
for my hunting, i MUCH prefer an 8# all up rifle wearing a leupold to a 10# rifle wearing a NF.

these are a couple of my .264s that i had chambered with the same reamer/gauges for different purposes. the heavy has a Lilja #7 and NF 3.5-15 NXS, while the lower one has a Brux barrel and 6x42 scope. the bottom one hunts

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nice

dave

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Formidilosus, any experience with the March 2.5x25x42?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Scope, rifle, or both?

Both.

dave

Issued- the 300WinMag M2010 is easily the pick. The 34mm tube 6.5-20x50 Leupold has been working very well but I would still go with the NF 3.5-15x50 F1 with H59 reticle.

"Dream"- Remington MSR or AI AX in 300WinMag with the S&B 5-25x56mm PMII with an H59 reticle or a NF F1.

Having said that, the M2010 is a great system. The sniper community made a very good choice with it and for out to 1,500M or so it's as good as anything available.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
gerrygoat,

Nope, the AO on an 8x is pretty much superfluous, especially in a big game rifle. What I'm thinking of is an 8x version of Leupold's 6x42 FX-3, which has superb optics and very reliable adjustments.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gerrygoat,

Nope, the AO on an 8x is pretty much superfluous, especially in a big game rifle. What I'm thinking of is an 8x version of Leupold's 6x42 FX-3, which has superb optics and very reliable adjustments.

No doubt an 8X42 like you mention would be a really nice scope. Since they are offering a scope like the one in the link maybe it isn't too much of a stretch for them to offer an 8X42 big game version.

Gerry.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
MD,

I think that would be a very slick scope for Pronghorns or alpine animals like sheep/goats. In fact it just might be ideal. I would buy it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'll propose it to Leupold! But ain't gonna hold my breath over it actually being produced....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MD,

I think that would be a very slick scope for Pronghorns or alpine animals like sheep/goats. In fact it just might be ideal. I would buy it.

I have an older 8X40 AO light duplex that's nice, I would likely buy a 8X42 too with a standard or LR duplex.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have that NF scope. Clarity is good in both scopes but one is eggshell thick and the other can pound nails in boards with it. If your like me and breaks everything you touch get the NF but if you have that feminine touch get the Leupold.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i had that NF scope. the tiny eye box diddn't work too well for me and i was more than happy to find someone that would trade his 3.5-15x NXS ZS MLR straight across. callin' the MK4 egg shell thick is kinda funny though.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
How does the eye box of the 3.5x15NXS compare to a 3.5x10x 40 Leupold?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
IMO, the eye box of the 3.5-15X50 NXS is very similar to the 3.5-10X40 Leupold. both are user friendly.

in fairness, the eye box on the 5.5-22 is probably a product of the physical/optical properties of the scope, (magnification, size, ect...). the 56 mm version would undoubtedly offer more exit pupil making alignment with your eye less critical, but i don't know if it would do anything for the 'depth' of the eye box. the 5.5-22s i had were both the 50mm version. i refuse to suffer a 56mm scope on anything.

as always, selecting optics is all about balancing the compromises to suit your needs.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I had a 5.5-22x NF for about a year. Great adjustments, better-than-average optics, built as tough as a high-quality brick--but finally figured out it wasn't anything I needed!

John Steinbeck
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well the SS HD is coming in today so I am excited!

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Formidilosus
The 5-25x56 PMII with the P3 reticle.
[Linked Image]

Very addictive.

I have a M700 in 300 mag.
Ill have to read up on a M2010.

dave

[Linked Image]

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a nice looking rig, Dave. Cool camo. I'm a little scared to try a PMII... I can't afford to rescope a bunch of rifles with Alpha glass!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 71 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.