24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys, searching for info or others with a rifle made by this same guy. I have a custom built rifle, 03a3 action with a custom drilled 25-06 bull barrel built by Gartman Arms, formerly Johnson-Gartman Arms. Stock is stamped March 1959, i have found limited info on this online, this guy was supposedly very skilled at bore drilling and i want to see how many of these rifles may be out there. The other 3 i have found are all mauser actions, one with 7mm mag barrel, one with 6mm rem barrel, one with .270 win barrel. Let me know any info you may have on this gunsmith or the rifles that may be out there. thanks

Last edited by spotshuntclub; 04/23/12.

B&B Reloading Supplies

www.facebook.com/bbreloadingsupplies
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
spotshuntclub-
Apologies in advance if you've already learned the following:

There's a catalog reprint from the period of your rifle available from Cornell publications. (See image linked below.)

Supposedly they're still in busines at 570 Washington St, Wrentham, MA 02093 (508) 384-3791

It would be interesting to know whether the "Johnson" part of Johnson-Gartman was Eric Johnson, who at that time I think lived in Connecticut.

--Bob
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
i believe thqat is correct, i heard he lived in Rhode Island. I saw the catalog, i think i will order one to go with the gun. I was hoping someone would have one made by them or would know what the gun might be worth now. I guess we will see, i am sure someone on this site must have a rifle made by them.

B&B Reloading Supplies

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being from the neighborhood (so to speak), lo these past 55 years, I can attest to the fact that Johnson-Gartman is still in business on the main drag (Rte 1), actually on the Wrentham/Plainville, MA city line - but AFAIK are only in the deep hole drilling business today. ( They were temporarily located in RI for about 10 years IIRC, just B 4 Y2K )

There were always one or two of their VG quality sporters in local gunshops (MA & RI) - but I've never personally run across one with a bull barrel.

They were justly famous for the early stages of the lightweight rifle craze, by making very slim sporters with "pencil" barrels in the 1950's & 60's - VERY slender, no sights.

IIRC, The "Johnson" of Johnson-Gartman was previously the same Melvin Johnson from Johnson Automatics in Rhode Island, that made the Johnson M1941 .30-06 Automatic Rifle for the US Army.

http://www.johnsonautomatics.com/History.htm

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info, I am trying to figure out what this rifle may be worth. There just aren't many other one out there to compare it to. This is a tough gun to research i might just have to call their shop, which is only open 2 days a week i hear.

B&B Reloading Supplies

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good Luck - I haven't been in there since the early 70's, and those guys were no spring chickens, even back then.

Hopefully, whomever's running the business today (maybe grandchildren) will have a clue.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a FN Mauser actioned .300 Savage that has a 'Johnson Automatics' barrel on it. Also the link to the Johnson rifle is interesting. I didn't realize the Johnson bolt is like an AR bolt. I always assumed that Eugene Stoner came up with that bolt design. Was Johnson the first to use the small radial locking lugs? PH

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
no actually i heard the old man benko is still alive and running the shop lol.

B&B Reloading Supplies

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
ttt

B&B Reloading Supplies

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BullShooter
spotshuntclub-
Apologies in advance if you've already learned the following:

There's a catalog reprint from the period of your rifle available from Cornell publications. (See image linked below.)

Supposedly they're still in busines at 570 Washington St, Wrentham, MA 02093 (508) 384-3791

It would be interesting to know whether the "Johnson" part of Johnson-Gartman was Eric Johnson, who at that time I think lived in Connecticut.

--Bob
[Linked Image]

I always thought the Johnson part of Johnson-Gartman was Melvin Johnson of Johnson Automatic Rifle fame.

Look closely at the 1958 prices above - and this was in the day when you could mail order a firearm!

IC B3

S
S
Responding to an old post. I have a gartman rifle in 7 mm Mauser. Wondering if anyone has any info on them.

E
E
I have one in 30-06 Mauser action. Custom stock and engraving. The stock has sort of a fish scale appearance. It looks rough to the touch but is very comfortable. It is very unusual. I bought one of the reprint catalogs as well. I would like to find out more about this one.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Strikerk9
Responding to an old post. I have a gartman rifle in 7 mm Mauser. Wondering if anyone has any info on them.

Here's one on Gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/774006262

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
A
A
Regarding Hartman Custom Rifles. A little late on this, but what the Heck:

My Gartman Rifle is in Weatherby .257 Mag. built on the Enfield 1917 Eddystone receiver. Bolt is heavily engraved, Stock engraved Black Walnut with Scrimshaw Ivory at the Four end tip and covering the end of the Pistol grip. Scrimshaw ivory triangles inlaid into the stock. Shoots like a dream and have dropped many deer and antelope with it,

Old Greyback.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Went in there at least 25 yrs ago. Old man still working there. Remember he had a G43 or some variant scoped on the wall. Plus one of those underbarrel shotguns for a M16/AR15. Pretty cool place. Was always closed when I tried to go back. Odd hours I think.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
489 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.