Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
....SANDVAGE as opposed to SAVAGE would be my guess Drew. It's been said before and I must agree...dys-[bleep]-functional...at it's very finest!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Speaking for myself, I am not deterred by the posts that some find troublesome. I will say I like coming here and enjoy the group. That is not my primary motivation for coming here. I come here to learn. I come to this site more than any other site because I learn more here than any other site. I even learned something from this particular thread. One thing I will say about learning is that it can be painful. There is a gunsmith I use and aside from doing great work, I like him because I learn from him. He has a lot of knowledge of vintage firearms and on top of that, he has a great eye. A really great eye - that comes from decades of experience. Let me give you an example of learning equals pain. I went out to his place to pick up a couple rifles. I usually bring a couple along just to show off. He has a great appreciation of vintage stuff and he enjoys seeing some of the odd/special stuff I have. I brought one piece out (a non-Savage lever rifle) and he oohed and ahhed over the high percentage original finish, the multiple special order features, the rarity and so on. Then (yes, there is a shoe dropping here) he said, a really great gun except for those extra holes in the metal.... Me: "there are no extra holes in th metal." And, I am in fact correct, there were no extra holes in the gun. But then he clarified, "there used to be extra holes in this gun." And of course he was kind enough to show me where they had been. CRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! That day was not a good day for me. But, I did learn. Sometimes I wish I never would have brought that gun out there, but then again, that chances that I would make the same mistake twice. This experience reminds me a lot of this forum. When I handed my gunsmith that gun I didn't say, "see if you can find anything wrong with it." But, I did hand it to him and he's going to look it over and comment. I went back and looked over the comments made about LBK's rifle. I thought they were quite diplomatic and posed in the context of trying to gain a better understanding of what each person was seeing. I have posted photos of many rifles I have, some titled to the effect, "Boltman shows one off" and believe me, it is not without some trepidation. I'm not worried anyone is going to be mean but I do worry someone will see something I didn't. And if they do, it's not going to make my day. I'd still rather swallow my lumps and keep on learning.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Does the holy gun still reside at your place boltman?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Do I have to say? wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really hate it when people remind me that the gun I drooled over, bought on sight and rushed to share has a flaw or modification that I totally missed due to over exuberance.
However .... it has happened to me more than once. The worst was a Savage I proudly showed my Dad years back .... took him all of 10 seconds to point out barrel markings later than rifle.
Lesson learned ... I haven't made that mistake again.
BillR

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lessons worth learning usually cost. You just want to keep the tuition down. I've had two costly Savage lessons so far. One of them still is here to taunt.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Acceptance is the answer to all of our problems today....

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The first, "big dollar" (for me at the time) Winchester I bought was a M1886 SRC in .45/90 (gunshow in Houston, TX). My Dad's '86 in .33 WCF is the gun that started it all for me when I was a very young boy. Anyway, when I started collecting (in my late teens) I wanted to add 86's to my collection. The time came where I had added a few rifles but the SRC was a holy grail for me - and one in a .45/90 really got my blood going. I ended up selling two nice Winchesters at the show (one was a M1895 .405 takedown) just to get the cash to buy this '86 SRC. I got it and later discovered that two tap holes had been welded up for a Lyman receiver sight. Sometimes guns can be very forgiving and the cost of tuition on this incident turned out to be zero. I got my money back out of it - with full disclosure of the holes!
By the way, back to LBK's gun, I will say that we are looking at pictures here and pictures are not always completely accurate. I noted that Rory's very first post that poses the question about LBK's wood possibly having been sanded, acknowledges this:

"gorgeous rifle but that picture does make it look sanded."

Originally Posted by Longbeardking
There are secrets to beating the crowd!!!!!! grin grin

Mr. LongBeardKing,

I go to some shows but I get easily discouraged by the lines and the such. I would be interested to hear your secrets to beating the crowd. Is it "knowing" somebody at the door or on the inside? Is it being "that guy" that most are jealous of and have ill feelings toward because they have an "in"?

Please share. I am interested. If PM is more comfortable than please feel free to use that medium Mr. LongBeardKing.

Thank You!

Fireballredux

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

� John 3:16
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hes turkey hunting be gone till next week!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

Mr. SaddleRing,

Thank you.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The best way I know of to beat the crowd and actually get at the best deals is to purchase a table and essentially not use it. That allows you to be there for the all important set-up where the dealers scoop up the best deals before the public ever sees them. And, it is less crowded.

Thank you for your advice Mr. Boltman. I appreciate your time.

fireballredux

B
B
I havent been here for a long time and just now saw this on the 'Cuse show. Strange, no one mentioned the near mint 99 EG in 22 HP that was at the Cuse show. Smoker gun with a price to match. 7 or 8,000 as I recall. Did any one else see it and what did you think ?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Must have been Ralphs rifle!! been talked about here a bunch of times!! its a bit over priced!!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This thread reminds me of something. Up until my Dad died last December, every time I visited him I would always bring at least a few of my most recent firearm acquisitions to show him. He always enjoyed this. My Dad was a perfectionist by nature and this flowed through to about everything he did. As he examined the pieces I would show him, most all were antique or vintage firearms and virtually none were new in the box condition. As he examined each gun his fingers would quickly move to whatever sort of defect the gun might have - like a small nick in the wood, rub mark in the blue etc. and he would always say, "too bad it has this." I was always quite annoyed by this as 1) it was painfully obvious to me that the gun would be better without the defect, and 2) often except for a small defect, the gun was a really fine specimen and one to be proud of. Like a lot of us, my Dad knew what perfect was and if something was short of perfection, it got noticed. It's just a natural orientation to the world. I think all of us agree that even if LBK's gun is a notch short of perfect, that doesn't mean it's not a very nice gun and he should be proud to own it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone thought it was worth the money as it has sold.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I remember long ago reading that the guns to cherish are not always the ones that are perfect; it may be that they were owned by someone who just wasn't interested in them, or they may have been woefully inaccurate. While I can appreciate a mint gun, I like to think that those who owned them before me enjoyed and cared for them.

If you make it through life without any scars on your body or your soul, have you really lived? Same with a firearm.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That's a good perspective to have Dave. For some rifles, it is the use they have received that is their biggest appeal. I have a an old Winchester M1894 .32 spl. that no doubt was owned by a cowboy or someone who at least used it plenty. It looks like the butt probably stirred more than a couple of campfires. Yet it remains a clean and honest gun which clearly has some fascinating stories it could tell. I would say I wished it could talk but I suppose if it did start talking it would really freak me out wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff,
Good to see a couple of very thoughtful posts. Maybe peace and tranquility will start breaking out all over the place!
I thought about you at the OGCA display show last weekend. There was a Ross pistol. Gene B and I talked about the fact that you would probably appreciate the display. Maybe he will get on here and be able to recall more detail about it.
john

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
241 members (300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.