24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On rifles that were accurate enough to tell,I never had a loopie go over 1500 rounds without issues.Most dont make it that far.
Seen it time and again.
The loopie erector will die in increments.
The scope itself will still function but have .3 to .6 of crap in the erector.
Sometime more.
Very commen.
Not something the 2 box of shells a year kinda guy would notice.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Dammit! I wish I had known this before I put a Mark 4 on my 700P. So far so good, but I haven't put more than probably 500 rounds through it yet. What do you guys do when you have this problem? Scrap a thousand dollar scope? I hope there is a less painful way...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well i've never seen it but I do hear of the odd loopie that will hold up.
Maybe you'll get luckey.
Education can be painful.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When it breaks, just send it in and they will fix it. They have had plenty of practice to get their customer service to a level that other brands can't match. crazy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'll keep my fingers crossed. Or maybe I can get my money out of it on ebay. If I do that now, I can honestly say there is nothing wrong with it at least.

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Leupold will always fix it then you can trip it...no big deal!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have never lost a cent buying Leupold glass. When ever my needs changed and needed to sell one I have always at least broke even and a few times almost doubled my money. History has proven investing in Leupold has shown to be a better place for my money than a savings account. It would be interesting to hear what long time users of Night Force are getting back on their investment.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Last I heard, every scope mfg had a customer service/repair department......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Formidilosus
Like You I have been a slotted sniper for several years. And have seen/used all the scopes you mention, by far the most problems we have seen are with the MK 4 M2 3.5-10 SASS scope.
The M3 LR has been relatively trouble free comparatively.
I saw my first Nightforce failure the other day. One of the 3.5-15 F1 H58 reticle. Have to send it back to find out what happened.
To the OP I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice for your stated purpose. Personally I prefer Nightforce, but would be happy with with the Leupold.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I opted for the SWFA SS-HD 5-20x50mm. Just ordered it

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Formidilosus, so now Leupold does make scopes that work, but most of other Leupold scopes fail at a 20-30% rate which is unacceptable for military use ?
Want to explain why the military uses such scopes ? Or do they ?
Again, 20-30% fail ? Again, which Leupolds ? Even you have posted that the much cheaper 6X42, FX3's work fine and are reliable.
Oh, BTW, how about the MRT series ? The military didn't request their development and they are not used by them ?
I'll grant my informnation about how many Nightforce scopes the military buys is incomplete. I believe I alluded to that. Wonderful.
You odviously know more about military sniping than I do. That's fine. But I know a few things about Leupolds. When you start telling us they fail at a 20-30% rate, I have to question what you are refering to. Because that's a very long way from what I've seen.
Apparently "failure" means the scope didn't track perfectly each and every time. But, again, even you admit that some of them do. But you keep insisting on saying that they aren't reliable w/o describing which ones. Hardly fair to compare a cheap hunting scope to a far more expensive tactical scope. And to call all of them unreliable because their cheaper models don't measure up to the rigors of tactical use. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 04/26/12.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I love my Mk4 LR! I have it on a .308, so hope it is the minority. From a one vet to another, thanks!

Good Shooting!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any amount of failure is unacceptable on a two way rifle range.
Im reminded of the picture of the Nightforce that ate a bullet,
and kept on ticking.

dave

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Haven't got to play with one of those yet. I almost bought one, but the lack of a zero stop pushed me in another direction. I have been bit by the one full revolution under in a match a couple of times. (slow learner I guess)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
+2

Hate war

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Who the [bleep] loves war anyway? Do you also hate rainy days traffic lights and rude people? kee-rist. Otherwise a great informative thread.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Formidilosus, so now Leupold does make scopes that work, but most of other Leupold scopes fail at a 20-30% rate which is unacceptable for military use ?...//...And to call all of them unreliable because their cheaper models don't measure up to the rigors of tactical use. E

E, he posted which models were having a 20% to 30% failure rate. Go back and read for comprehension this time rather than just posting more inane drivel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
+2

Hate war

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Who the [bleep] loves war anyway? Do you also hate rainy days traffic lights and rude people? kee-rist. Otherwise a great informative thread.

Some hotheaded wingnuts (Jorge!) mistake my desire to see the US engage in much less war, and my willingness to criticize recent politicians for engaging us in adventurous wars, as being anti-military and, by extension, anti-soldier. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Soldiers are the best. Now STFU and let a good thread continue without your hysterics, please.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Formidilosus,...//...Even you have posted that the much cheaper 6X42, FX3's work fine and are reliable.

Funny how you picked THAT sentence out of his post, but missed entirely when he listed which Leupold scopes were experiencing a 20% to 30% failure rate. Must be a case of selective comprehension and/or blindness. You're a mullet E...a plain ol' muck sucking mullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eremicus, if you are going to break this guys balls with unsubstantiated BS, at least you could read his posts......you know...extend the guy some freakin curiosity.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus

These are the Leupolds issued in the military.

Ultra M3A (or MK4) 10x40
MK4 LR M3 3.5-10x40
MK4 4.5-14x50 M1
TS-30 A2 3�9�36
MK8 1.1-8x24 CQBSS
MK4 34mm 6.5-20x50

There are/were a few others in limited numbers.

The only ones that don't have consistent problems are the fixed 10x, the MK8 CQBSS, and the new 34mm 6.5-20x50.

The rest fail at an unacceptable rate for military sniper use.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Funny you mentioned reading skills here Dood. He commented that the Leupold posted would not be as good as the Nightforce mentioned. Then he says later that Leupold variables aren't reliable. Then he lists the Mk.4 3.5-10X40 variable as in service by the US military. But we are suppose to believe that Leupold variables aren't reliable......
Oh, I nearly forgot. Didn't he mentioned the new Mk8 scopes as also being in service with the military ?
All I can say is that our poor military guys sure do shoot alot of unreliable variable Leupolds.
Funny they don't wise up and use Nightforce scopes instead.
Most of the serious tactical shooters and ex military guys I've run into over the years say they are both excellent. The trick is to buy the NXS or the Mk.4 Leupold that meets your requirements. Try to get by with a cheap Leupold converted to tactical shooting by adding a few dials and it might not work under heavy use.
On the other hand, don't believe that NXS scopes will last forever under any conditions. Their very long waiting time proves that isn't so. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 04/26/12.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (12344mag, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.