Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Unless ALOT has changed since I was in the Army, just 'cause the military uses something, doesn't mean it's good, reliable, etc. When I was in (15-20yrs ago), alot of our equipment was junk.

Listening to the actual users (like Formidilosus) experience/opinions/etc. gives better info on the stuff than just knowing that it's used by the military. Not saying Leupold is junk, etc. (I have several myself on hunting rifles and I like 'em), just saying don't think just 'cause the military uses something that it must be the best of the best.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Formidilosus,

Thanks not just for your service but the excellent info you've provided on this thread. I've used a lot of various brands of scopes but not usually on the same sorts of rifles you have experience with.

One of the things I found interesting was your comments on fixed 6x Leupolds for your own hunting. What's your experience with higher-X fixed Leupolds?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TXRam
Unless ALOT has changed since I was in the Army, just 'cause the military uses something, doesn't mean it's good, reliable, etc. When I was in (15-20yrs ago), alot of our equipment was junk.

Listening to the actual users (like Formidilosus) experience/opinions/etc. gives better info on the stuff than just knowing that it's used by the military. Not saying Leupold is junk, etc. (I have several myself on hunting rifles and I like 'em), just saying don't think just 'cause the military uses something that it must be the best of the best.

I agree with you completely. My career was in law enforcement, so I'm quite familiar with the concept of buying and using equipment from "the lowest bidder". I just think it's amusing that Eremicus is arguing with a guy who is currently in the military and speaking from his own experience. Frankly, Eremicus is making an absolute fool of himself.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RDFinn
...Frankly, Eremicus is making an absolute fool of himself.

Roy,

That's a rhetorical statement; one that goes without saying.

A fool can only be a fool regardless of how hard he tries to pretend otherwise.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Formidilosus
What would be your current favorite unit?

What would be your dream unit?

Say for out to 1000 yards

dave

Scope, rifle, or both?

Originally Posted by Jeffrey
So say someday my Mark 4 variable takes a dive, would I be wise in replacing it with the fixed 10x Mark 4?

That depends if a fixed power scope will meet your needs? To be sure the fixed power Mark 4's are more reliable. I would look towards another scope before running a fixed 10x scope again though. There are several variable scopes on the market that will be, and are as reliable as the MK4 10x40.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Formidilosus,

Thanks not just for your service but the excellent info you've provided on this thread. I've used a lot of various brands of scopes but not usually on the same sorts of rifles you have experience with.

One of the things I found interesting was your comments on fixed 6x Leupolds for your own hunting. What's your experience with higher-X fixed Leupolds?

I have a lot more experience with the 6's then any other, for good reason as you know, however, I have seen no issues with a couple of 8x's (or 7.5's?), the 10x's and a 12x or two. I do know that the bench rest crowd has "serious" problems with the fixed power competition models, but then again they will notice a tenth of an inch like it was a big pink elephant in the room. Of course you know this, but any fixed power scope is going to be more reliable and durable then a comparable variable all else being equal.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the info. I haven't tried the benchrest fixed Leupolds, but have been told by top benchresters of the "problems" getting the last few hundredths of an inch in group size. I do have a Mark 4 10x on one of my hunting rifles and so far it has worked very well. Time will tell!

My wife likes even more magnification in hunting scopes than I do, and has been switching over to the 8x36 M8 when she can find them. I kinda wish they made an 8x42 FX-III or something like that, but also doubt there's much of a market for one!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Fotis
I opted for the SWFA SS-HD 5-20x50mm. Just ordered it

Good choice.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm looking at shooting out to a thousand yards with my 700P. I have a 3.5x10 now, and I think it is plenty of magnification. Come to think of it, I don't really ever take it off 10x anyway.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the info. I haven't tried the benchrest fixed Leupolds, but have been told by top benchresters of the "problems" getting the last few hundredths of an inch in group size. I do have a Mark 4 10x on one of my hunting rifles and so far it has worked very well. Time will tell!

My wife likes even more magnification in hunting scopes than I do, and has been switching over to the 8x36 M8 when she can find them. I kinda wish they made an 8x42 FX-III or something like that, but also doubt there's much of a market for one!

If I had my dream, pre-64 300 H&H, the scope you just invented would be my first choice.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Formidilosus
If that picture you posted is your unit training we probably know a few people in common. On a side note we just picked up a couple of the new Schmidts with the Tremor 2 reticle for the 300 WM.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Formidilosus
What would be your current favorite unit?

What would be your dream unit?

Say for out to 1000 yards
dave

Scope, rifle, or both?

Both.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Will something like this do?

http://swfa.com/Leupold-8x40-FX-II-Riflescope-P50857.aspx

Gerry.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
After reading this thread, and what I consider to be expert opinion and actual use from Formidilosis, I have brilliantly come to the following conclusions:

1. If you're a sniper or tactical guy and shoot a whole lot,
use something besides Leupold.
2. If you're a hunter, you'll likely never wear out a Leupold

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
After reading this thread, and what I consider to be expert opinion and actual use from Formidilosis, I have brilliantly come to the following conclusions:

1. If you're a sniper or tactical guy and shoot a whole lot,
use something besides Leupold.
2. If you're a hunter, you'll likely never wear out a Leupold

Thats a good point but im reminded of guys I know that have what should be very accurate rifles.Say .5 moa kinda guns.But they can never quite get there.
The rifle hovers around 1 moa or more.
They play with loads and seating depths and screw around with all manner of crap.But never really solve there problem.
And almost everytime I've seen this, its got a loopie on top..
Granted the 2 box a shells a year kinda guy, will never be able to tell.
But with loopie, if you get out and shoot alittle more.You will either see it,or cause it to happen.

dave

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I dont' shoot my deer guns a whole lot compared to some guys here, but I probably put 100 rounds on them every year. I've had 3 different Leupy's, a Swaro A, a Conquest, and an old 4x Denver Redfield on a particular Tikka 695 7mag I like. I've shot.5-.750 groups routinely with every Leupold that's been on there, all with factory ammo. I haven't had a single hunter show up in camp (probably 75 or so) that's had trouble with a Leupold either. Coincidenc?, maybe so, but I don't think leupold failures on hunting rigs are very common at all. The SwaroA is the only one that gave up on me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JG

I have a old 24x friction style AO loopie that I've had for decades on a chuck gun.
Never a problem.
SO far.

dave

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
for my hunting, i MUCH prefer an 8# all up rifle wearing a leupold to a 10# rifle wearing a NF.

these are a couple of my .264s that i had chambered with the same reamer/gauges for different purposes. the heavy has a Lilja #7 and NF 3.5-15 NXS, while the lower one has a Brux barrel and 6x42 scope. the bottom one hunts

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nice

dave

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Formidilosus, any experience with the March 2.5x25x42?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Scope, rifle, or both?

Both.

dave

Issued- the 300WinMag M2010 is easily the pick. The 34mm tube 6.5-20x50 Leupold has been working very well but I would still go with the NF 3.5-15x50 F1 with H59 reticle.

"Dream"- Remington MSR or AI AX in 300WinMag with the S&B 5-25x56mm PMII with an H59 reticle or a NF F1.

Having said that, the M2010 is a great system. The sniper community made a very good choice with it and for out to 1,500M or so it's as good as anything available.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
769 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 89 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.