-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like a Douglas #2 and the stock surely resembles a Brown Precision.

http://www.brownprecision.com/images/custom-high-country-180-700.jpg

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Featherweight action and bottom metal appear to be in good/nice condition considering it's vintage. After all it's 54 years old with little wear on the bottom metal, which went away with much carrying. From the pictures it appears that somebody took relatively good care of it when it was original. I suspect that it may have been re-barrelled due to a roached out barrel or someone really wanted a .280 Rem. on what appears to be a fairly clean mdl. 70 donor action. The action and bottom metal bluing looks better than most shooters I see in pawn shops and gun shows these days. The bolt has been jewelled, most likely by whoever built the rifle to its current configuration.
It's hard to venture a guess as to who made the barrel and smithed it together because I can't see any other markings besides the caliber stamping. It has a target crown though, which is nice. I don't believe there are that many synthetic stock makers for Pre's out there but if I was to hazard a guess, it appears to be an early Rimrock or Mickey, though some of the fitting looks to be a little rough for a custom smith's work. I subtracted the weight of the scope and mounts (about a pound)off the overall weight you mentioned and I'm leaning toward one of the better made lightweight stock makers. It's a fairly lightweight Pre-70 all up. I'm sure that that someone else here on the "Fire" will know exactly which stock it is.
Anyhow, without having it in hand, those are just my thought's about it based on the info and pic's you posted.
Again, hope the negotiations go well, keep us posted if you should get it, and if so, how it shoots.
Best,
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Karnis
That looks like a Douglas #2 and the stock surely resembles a Brown Precision.

http://www.brownprecision.com/images/custom-high-country-180-700.jpg

Good call on the stock Carlos, I didn't even think of the Brown Precision

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I got it, the pics were from my back yard. I'm going to clean it up and see if I can get a little more eye relief from the scope by flipping the rear base around. May load up a few rounds since I still load .280 for my BIL and see how she shoots.

Just under $625 out the door after tax. I called my GS buddy this morning and snapped a couple of cell pics and he told me to buy it right away and if I didn't want it he'd take it off my hands. He thought the same as Karnis on the stock and barrel profile. I didn't tell him what I paid though in case I have to do some horse trading with him down the road. wink

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you got a good deal! Congrats!

BTW, why do you have to clean up your back yard? smile

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow, great deal! The action looks clean and if you want to use it as a donor for a 338-06 it would be great...just remember the rule, don't shoot the donor! Someone took care putting that one together judging by the appearance. Bet once you clean the barrel and put a couple of foulers down it, it will no longer be a donor...

Talent is what you're born with, skills are what you earn. - Rod Smith

Time flies, but remember, you are the pilot!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thief!

That's great. Good for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll second that!!, and congrats on negotiating a real good buy.
Hope it shoots as well as it looks! If you perk it up a little bit fussing with acraglas here and there to fix some chipping around the inletting and possibly a fresh coat of stock paint of your choice, she's going to really pop some eye appeal. Carlos mentioned it earlier, and I very much agree, that the sum of the parts are worth quite a bit more than what you paid for the entire rifle.
Good for you as well!! Let us know how it shoots!!!
Best, BD

- Winston Churchill-

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I got it, the pics were from my back yard. I'm going to clean it up and see if I can get a little more eye relief from the scope by flipping the rear base around. May load up a few rounds since I still load .280 for my BIL and see how she shoots.

Just under $625 out the door after tax. I called my GS buddy this morning and snapped a couple of cell pics and he told me to buy it right away and if I didn't want it he'd take it off my hands. He thought the same as Karnis on the stock and barrel profile. I didn't tell him what I paid though in case I have to do some horse trading with him down the road. wink

You stole it....Good for you....Very nice snag...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's a Brown Precision...looks just like one of my rifles.Nice snag.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Let us know how it shoots. You got a great deal on that package.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Let us know how it shoots. You got a great deal on that package.

I won't be shooting this rifle unless my hunting partner's son will let me handle it again in the future. I had been tasked a while back to keep my eye out for a hunting rifle for my buddies son (10 year old), who just got his hunters safety card and will be going on his first deer hunt this year in Oklahoma. My buddy saw the rifle and asked what I had to have for it I told him to pay me what I had in it. It was a little more than he wanted to pay so I sold it for $325 and kept the scope, he had a VX-II 3-9 to put on it anyway. Besides I was needing a good scope for my new Whelen anyway.

He is an avid reloader and started his first boy out with a downloaded .284 Win in a Ruger 77 flat bolt, and he has taken a couple of elk and several deer and pronghorn with that rifle. It is going to a good cause so I'm not sad to see it go, besides how many of you guys out here would have loved to have a first hunting rifle like this one? I imagine when I see his boy enjoying that rifle and hopefully taking his first elk with it in a few years, I know I made the right decision to pass this rifle on. I didn't need this rifle nor was I too excited about it being a .280 but I knew that I couldn't leave that rifle sitting in a pawn shop.

I was going to have to add a recoil pad and move the scope forward to get it to fit me anyway. It currently has a 13" LOP and the scopes eye relief was all wrong for me to get a full sight picture. So it should be about perfect for his son in two years when he is able to start hunting big game here in Colorado. My buddy is stopping by after church today to pick it up hopefully he will be bringing his son so I can get a picture of his boy holding the rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keeps getting better doesn't it? Great thing you did there for your bud.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Here is a pic of my buddies son straight from his Hockey tournament still wearing his cowboy boots. He has some growing to do, but he was happy to get the rifle. He is already a good shot with his .22 lr and .223 Rem.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool pic there of the kid.
If I had a really shortened p64 stock floating around I'd send it over. Used to have some really used ones.
Good story all around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good on you!!!!

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

"Turdlike".... in record time

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome rig! I'd be in rifle nirvana if I was that youngster! Hope he kills a bunch with it laugh

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
taylorforce1, good friend indeed. If you need any more Vari X III scopes @ $300 a copy, let me know. I think I still have seven or eight (tongue in ckeek). jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thats a million dollar smile on that young man, This story couldn't get any better. Good and great on you!
Best,
BD

- Winston Churchill-

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jt402
taylorforce1, good friend indeed. If you need any more Vari X III scopes @ $300 a copy, let me know. I think I still have seven or eight (tongue in ckeek). jack

I lost a little on the scope but gained a lot on the back end, it was worth it I'd say. That was the first pre-64 I ever owned, I don't regret the decision to part with it at all. Maybe the next one will be a .270 fwt that I've always wanted.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.