Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like both... I've had situations where I misread my chart... can't say I've had that problem with a yardage turret. For longer range I prefer the precision of a chart.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I just tape a sheet to the buttstock. Yardage turrets do nothing for me.

Except cutting out the step of going to the chart.

Now, if you're using a bunch of different loads and bullets in the same gun, I can see that.

If you settle on one load, the yardage turret makes life simpler.

IMHO,

DF

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I like both... I've had situations where I misread my chart... can't say I've had that problem with a yardage turret. For longer range I prefer the precision of a chart.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Now, if you're using a bunch of different loads and bullets in the same gun, I can see that.

IMHO,

DF

I believe the precision is the same between the chart and the tape, I used my spreadsheet in 25 yard increments to create the tape. Drop in inches is converted to clicks at 1/4" per click. I simply took the data and put it where I need to see it and I don't have to think about it when I turn the dial.

With a chart or the turret tape, something will get taped to the rifle, both can be easily modified for different loads, I just prefer the turret tape.

Dave

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

IMHO,

DF

You have obviously never hunted at different elevations, temps etc.

Take you Louisiana yardage turret and play ball at 7000 feet.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDW
I want to use a rangefinder and quickly spin the dial to the yardage reading and not convert from yardage, to MOA. I also wanted inexpensive and the ability to easily switch between loads.

Multiple etched turrets will get expensive quick especially with multiple rifles and loads.

I agree! and well done, RDW.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's only a problem if shoelaces give you fits and feel the need to run velcro, just saying.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

IMHO,

DF

NM at 4,000'. I just remember the difference and dial accordingly. If I was all over and using different loads, sure I'd probably go that route. But my life and my turret system are both pertty simple... laugh

I kinda like it that way... smile

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I've seen mention of a "load tape or drop tape" mounted on the elevation turret to facilitate quick range adjustments.

I envision a tape with hash marks or something that allows quick zero changes on your scope without having to count clicks.

I have the M1 ele turret on a Leupold Vari X III 2.5x8.
How would this work on this set up? Pics would help..?

Thanks in advance.

This is what I do. That's a Conquest turret.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Post a picture of the "sheet" taped to your stock, I don't understand how it would work differently than a yardage turret.

Dave

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Taking my 7mag, 3021 fps, 200 yd zero, 168gr VLD Hunting, 1000 ft elevation I show a drop @ 500 yds of 34.1", at 7000 ft elevation @ 500 yds jbm shows a drop of 32.5". It appears almost irrelevant me, but I may be missing something.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
When I go to NM, which is 4,000' compared to 100' elev. in LA, I look at the ballistic programs and make note of the change. It's usually a click or two difference at 400-500 yds. Not enough to worry about at lesser distances. It's not hard to remember the difference and dial accordingly. I could have turrets made for each elevation, but have never seen the necessity to do so.

DF

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Taking my 7mag, 3021 fps, 200 yd zero, 168gr VLD Hunting, 1000 ft elevation I show a drop @ 500 yds of 34.1", at 7000 ft elevation @ 500 yds jbm shows a drop of 32.5". It appears almost irrelevant me, but I may be missing something.

You're not. There are several reasons that BDC turrets might not be the best choice for true LR work but sub 600 and one load/one rifle isn't it.

The biggest problem with the popularity of BDC turrets/reticles is that a great many believe they are all they need to kill reliably out to whatever marked range without actually learning to use them correctly or even learning how to shoot correctly.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by RDW
Ya'll would laugh at my experience at shooting beyond 300 but I made this tape last year after choosing a hunting load for my 300WSM. I used the average velocity for the 180 DC's and it was right on a 325 and 500 but off a bit at 700.

Now I just need room to practice!

[Linked Image]

RDW

Tape looks great, what did you use to print it out?

thanks

Ted
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by JGRaider

You're not. There are several reasons that BDC turrets might not be the best choice for true LR work but sub 600 and one load/one rifle isn't it.

The biggest problem with the popularity of BDC turrets/reticles is that a great many believe they are all they need to kill reliably out to whatever marked range without actually learning to use them correctly or even learning how to shoot correctly.

That was my initial reaction too; 500 yards isn't yet to the range that the little tiny stuff starts mattering-- or at least that's my experience. But I'm not really qualified to say it. So I'm glad to see it said by someone who is.

I think folks would be:

A) pleasantly surprised how easy it is to become reasonably proficient out to 500 yards, given decent gear and a good rifle, and;

B) very UNpleasantly surprised at how squirelly chit gets out past 625, 650 yds or so. There's a real line in the sand there- again, in my fairly limited experience.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jeff, neat fix on the Conquest.

I'll be looking at my other brands of scopes to see if they can be labeled in like fashion.

Again, my shooting range is limited: 500 to the furthest butt and gongs out to 600... after that an occasional rock will get a good drive by strafing, but that's about it.

On game: Each opportunity is a law unto itself and any shot that isn't right, will get a pass.

I had the opportunity to shoot a rather unique (to me) rifle a couple of weeks ago. It was a MG Arms Ultra Lite in 7mm Dakota. I was so fixated by the rifle I didn't notice what optic it wore.
I ran the trigger once to get the feel and then painted the 300 yard gong and rocked it. It was almost too easy! It made me want to play with my old .270 a whole lot more!!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I realize this is a little bit of an old thread, but how exactly did you make that tape? I can get our CAD guy @ work to make something similar I think. Mine would be std Zeiss turrets, not the target turrets. I can measure the O.D. of the turret, but how many clicks are there to a revolution on a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDW
Ya'll would laugh at my experience at shooting beyond 300 but I made this tape last year after choosing a hunting load for my 300WSM. I used the average velocity for the 180 DC's and it was right on a 325 and 500 but off a bit at 700.

Now I just need room to practice!

[Linked Image]

RDW, I'm loving the hell out of your yardage tape as well. My Zeiss 3.5-10 is also lacking in the turret department. I like what you did there. You could make money selling those grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just stick with MOA, and write it on a waterproof label that I hook to my sling.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I've seen mention of a "load tape or drop tape" mounted on the elevation turret to facilitate quick range adjustments.

I envision a tape with hash marks or something that allows quick zero changes on your scope without having to count clicks.

I have the M1 ele turret on a Leupold Vari X III 2.5x8.
How would this work on this set up? Pics would help..?

Thanks in advance.

Not exactly an M1, but this is how I have a few Conquests, a Swaro AV, and a 2.5-8 Leup set up:

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
18MOA per rev on a Conquest 3-9, so 72 clicks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 76 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.