Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good shoW Gentlemen!!...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's awesome and generous, Oregontripper--good on you! The generosity keeps rolling here at the 'fire. Some kid is going to have real cause to thank you pretty soon!

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would like to contribute to Oregontripper's effort. PM sent to him.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Absolutely fantastic. You're going to make some lucky kid extremely happy!

Look here, this was all your idea and you know it! laugh

This evolved today from FOsteology's generosity and I just happened to fall in line with it. blush

It's meant to continue the trend for a 'next' and yet to be identified recipient. Thanks for the kind words - now let's gett'r done.

Last edited by oregontripper; 04/27/12.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Absolutely fantastic. You're going to make some lucky kid extremely happy!

Look here, this was all your idea and you know it! laugh

This evolved today from FOsteology's generosity and I just happened to fall in line with it. blush

It's meant to continue the trend for a 'next' and yet to be identified recipient. Thanks for the kind words - now let's gett'r done.

Indeed! My son is the lucky recipient of FOsteology's generosity, and I should have pics and a thank - you penned by Timothy up in less than two weeks. I should be getting home roughly sometime next weekend for two weeks leave, and Monday the 7th is the day I'll be surprising Timothy with the Sig 522. I got the word from my buddy that it's arrived and waiting in his shop. cool

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
well done!!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another outstanding example of Campfire generosity!

Excellent work OT and FO.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've been away training for a new job so I haven't been able to participate in it, but I've been following it as close as I can. I don't know where we are at but I want to play along helping a kid out. Well I'm home for the weekend and looking through my safe I have a rifle I can donate as well. I have a barreled action M670 Winchester in .270 Win and a Bishop stock that will fit it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll be honest the rifle has a couple of problems that maybe someone here on the fire can help fix, first off it is missing the trigger guard (it didn't survive the shipping when I bought this rifle). Plus if it is going to a kid it could use a decent recoil pad instead of a plastic butt plate. I'd hate for a youngster to develop a flinch from their first hunting rifle.

I have as well a Lee "C" press that I would donate with this rifle. I'm sure I can throw in a box of 130 grain bullets and 1X brass to get the young man/woman going with some reloading supplies. I've asked for help from Campfire members and they have came through for me in the past and now I can pay it back.

So let me know if this item works for you guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I would like to contribute to Oregontripper's effort.

It's fun isn't it? Youz guys have done good!

OT: if you need anything done to that stock make sure to let me know. Cut to length, pad, webbing, matte, texturing, etc. I'll take care of it for our next youngster........

It'll jump to the front of the line. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I've been away training for a new job so I haven't been able to participate in it, but I've been following it as close as I can. I don't know where we are at but I want to play along helping a kid out. Well I'm home for the weekend and looking through my safe I have a rifle I can donate as well. I have a barreled action M670 Winchester in .270 Win and a Bishop stock that will fit it.

I'll be honest the rifle has a couple of problems that maybe someone here on the fire can help fix, first off it is missing the trigger guard. Plus if it is going to a kid it could use a decent recoil pad instead of a plastic butt plate. I'd hate for a youngster to develop a flinch from their first hunting rifle.

I have as well a Lee "C" press that I would donate with this rifle. I'm sure I can throw in a box of 130 grain bullets and 1X brass to get the young man/woman going with some reloading supplies. I've asked for help from Campfire members and they have came through for me in the past and now I can pay it back.

TF1:

Send me the stock, I'll take care of the guard and the pad. PM sent.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This if more fun than a barrel of monkeys! I'm sure there will be a few more pages to read through by the time I get home for leave, given close to week of travel time. Keep it going Gents!

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by taylorce1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll be honest the rifle has a couple of problems that maybe someone here on the fire can help fix, first off it is missing the trigger guard (it didn't survive the shipping when I bought this rifle). Plus if it is going to a kid it could use a decent recoil pad instead of a plastic butt plate. I'd hate for a youngster to develop a flinch from their first hunting rifle.

How's about the nomination from Crockettnj? High school senior, etc.?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Excellent idea! I felt bad when my son took the Sig 522 from him, but this one makes more sense for a bigger kid anyway. A 270 is an excellent all-around cartridge for any North American game, and a high school senior could likely handle the recoil just fine, especially if he's fired rifles before and knows what to expect. I'll second (Or third) that nomination!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wow, a 270 and a 280 err 7Express!

gophergunner has generously offered up another daypack to go with the 7Express.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Karnis

What a thread,and what generosity.

Tough keeping a dry eye here reading this thread, I gotta admit.

I appreciate your keeping Andrew in mind. I do think, perhaps, that it'd be wise for me to ask his parents first and also to make sure he has a F.I.D. card or else transfer will be a bit.. difficult! NJ isn't all that friendly in this regard.

Lets bump Andrew down the list again and help out another youngster until I can be sure. (but that 270 sure would be awesome!)

Last edited by Crockettnj; 04/29/12.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by Karnis

What a thread,and what generosity.

Tough keeping a dry eye here reading this thread, I gotta admit.

I appreciate your keeping Andrew in mind. I do think, perhaps, that it'd be wise for me to ask his parents first and also to make sure he has a F.I.D. card or else transfer will be a bit.. difficult! NJ isn't all that friendly in this regard.

Lets bump Andrew down the list again and help out another youngster until I can be sure. (but that 270 sure would be awesome!)

No need to bump him down the line the rifle is Andrew's when he is ready. Karnis is going to work over the stock and update it a little. So do what you need to and we will do the same on ours. Please find out if Andrew wants to attempt reloading or not?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Up for the Hunting Rifles Forum is Project 24/7. This rifle has been through a few variations inspired by 24hourcampfire and today FOsteology and I decided to make it available to a deserving youth. I'd like this to be called Project 24/7 until a recipient is identified.

It's a 1979 Remington 700 BDL Custom Deluxe 7mm Remington Express with 22" barrel. Seems a good cartridge for a growing shooter as it can be loaded down or punched 280AI. It's wearing a 1993 700 BDL SS takeoff stock that is stiffer than an SPS, its functionally bedded and free-floated. The rifle's color scheme is not complete, it was inspired by one of FOs' rifles he had posted awhile back. Basically going for a black barreled action with brown stock with silver bolt handle and trigger. I painted the stock with some texture and then Krylon Fusion and clear coats. I'll cover the bolt shroud and triggerguard/floorplate flat black to match the barrel to complete the look and just leave the receiver polished blue unless there is a consensus that something else is needed, like professional coating shocked ! The rifle has put out several sub .6" 3-shot groups when I was using Federal brass and usually hangs 3/4-1" with 139gr Hornady BTSP loads. Comes with 50 2x fired Nosler cases. Rifle is good to go as is, the trigger is light and crisp, however, it has some creep that I can't adjust out.

Anyways, there it is. Ready to ship Priority mail when the time is appropriate.

Folks - I hope ya'll will understand... I have been trying to sort this out, ever since FOsteology offered to sponser a rifle, from me for the giveaway... Wanting to make it a rifle that is most suited for a youth. We went from a Rem 721 30-06 with 14" LOP that is a good rifle, but maybe not best suited for youths, with its LOP and extractor rarity caveat... So - then came along my 7Express. Well - 280 ammo is not so easy to come by most places and brings a premium price. I was raised on shortaction light recoiling rifles myself... So - I propose the following ---->>>>>

Up for the Hunting Rifles Forum deserving youth project is a Remington 788 in 243 Win. This is now a three-way donation from FOsteology, mistem and myself. Unless there is outrage from ya'll well make this available. Have had an offer of a daypack from gophergunner and stockwork (buttpad hint) from Karnis.

Hope everyone understands the reasoning and agrees with the logic. Now we need a candidate...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rig.

Let me know when the pad needs to be installed via PM and I'll relay the addy. Will prolly need the LOP as well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When this all gets worked out I might just have a Sightron SII 3.5 X 10X 42 that could use a good home. Let me know.
Ron

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have read thru this post (it took a while, as I had to wipe my eyes several times). This has to be the best bunch of people anybody could ask for. Amazing generosity.

I will add a boy for consideration. Trenton is an average student, and overall an average kid (I think he is 12, if I remember correctly). He has a bigger sister into pep squads and female type activities. He is into whatever sport is going on at the time. Last season, a friend of his mother took him deer hunting and it changed his life. He didn't get a deer, although I believe he shot a hog late in the season. All he wants to talk about now is hunting and shooting. He practices with his pellet rifle, and his mom was able to buy him a Mossberg 500 for Christmas this past year.

His mom is a single working mom, like so many these days. She did manage to get a deer this past year. Unfortunately, it was with her car. About a month after getting it repaired, a woman talking on her cell phone hit Amanda and totaled her car. Not long after that, she had to get her gall bladder removed, then got a staph infection. It hasn't been a great year for her.

Not sure what else I might relay at this time. Just another young man who looks to have fallen in love with the great sport of hunting.

Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (338Rules, 338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,637 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,110
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.