Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have never been and I never will probably but I do have a brother that is plaanning one for next year. He and his son. They are getting a German spotting scope, Swar something or other, with a Cannon mount for their long lense. I think that it's over kill but they are pretty sure it's not.

If you've been on one, would you get a scope like that for what might be a one time trip?

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been twice and got some pretty darned good photos with a Nikon D70 and an AF VR-Nikkor 80-400mm 1:4.5-5.6D ED telephoto (that I bought from CameralandNY). In the car, I used a Swarovski window mount. I shot a few frames while hiking or hunting and just rested the lens on the shooting sticks.

I used the same lens on a D200 a couple of years ago on a float trip on Kodiak Island and got some decent bear and eagle pictures. I think that they will be happier with something similar from Canon and the picture quality will be noticeably better. It will darned sure cost less than a Swarovski spotter.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I agree with Mudhen. A true telephoto lens will give much better pictures, and much more flexibility and control, than a digiscoping setup using a spotting scope. For instance, it is virtually impossible to do digiscoping without a tripod or other kind of steady mount whereas a camera lens with VR technology can give surprisingly good results (if maximum sharpness or very large enlargements aren't required) when used handheld.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree, they would be better off buying a good telephoto lens and if they dont want to keep it sell it when they get back...recoup some of the cost and they will get some very good pics.

Rob
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks guy's. That's about what I though. Gonna see if I can talk him into maybe a 100-400, I think Canon makes that.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don, another option for your brother may be to rent a lens for his photo safari.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes, just rent lenses. They can rent a boatload of stuff for half the cost of that spotter.

RLTW
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
They will need to be concerned about theft. I bought insurance on my camera equipment prior to going to South America years ago and that reduced my heartache a great deal after you see people rummaging through your stuff a few times. For me, the insurance is an automatic thing now if I intend to go outside the USA but especially in 3rd World areas.

I also agree with the big telephoto recommendation over trying to use a spotting scope and adapters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. If fine pictures are the goal then spend the money on lenses. Most spotting scope images are marginal.

1Minute
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How to get hundreds of out-of-focus photos in Africa?

Take equipment you aren't familar with and click away,

If you are going just to shoot photos - DON'T! The results you will get with even the greatest, most expensive telephoto lenses in the world won't get you photos that are in focus and even just interesting. Photography, with long telephoto lens, is a speciality that requires understanding the capabilty of the lenses & the techniques needed to achieve at least "good" focus results.

Any responses that actually talk about equipment choices are like making suggestions to someone who hunts rabbits with a single shot JC HIggins shotgun and asks "will 3" 20ga slugs be OK for elephant or should I borrow a friend's 12ga slugs?"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they are familiar with the operation of their camera body and purchase or lease an AF telephoto (especially one with vibration reduction technology), they will probably get more than enough good shots to justify the expense. They won't be selling their images to National Geographic, but will have some pictures to cherish over the years.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Good review.

M2, M3, Rolleiflex 3.5 B, Yashica Mat 124G, Nikon D90, Nikon F100, Nikon FM, Pentax K1000, digital hd video camera..... Advice and constructive criticism always welcome..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,360 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.