24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 30 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 29 30
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just realized guys that I was remiss when I posted pictures and thank you letters from the hand off of the rifle and gear to the boys. I apparently forgot to attach the thank you letter from their mom so I will do so now.

To all that were involved in the overwhelmingly generous gifts to my sons, THANK YOU! It's always a tough spot when you want to be able to do things for your children and you're not able to. Such as provide them with life skills (hunting) that will benefit with them forever and the means to carry them out.�
I would never have asked for anyone to do this for my boys, I'm just not that type of person. However, when Matt explained the situation to me and he had thought of Coy (my oldest son), I was very honored that he felt my son was deserving.�
You have /will receive a thank you letter from Coy himself, but I thought I might just share a little more of the young man behind the scenes. Coy is a very considerate young man, always willing to help out others and also puts others before him self. He has a plan of what he wants to do in life, which includes serving the USA in the Marines (not 100% confirmed) �when he graduates from high school. And, although he does complain occasionally, he puts his family first and really does try to be a positive role model.�
This past year has been especially tough. I was unable to do anything for him for his birthday, and only 4 days later we had to put our dog, his best friend of 14 years, down. This won't bring our beloved family member back, but it will leave a very positive memory of this year etched in his mind, and the minds of my other two sons, forever!�
Thank you to everyone who participated in creating these everlasting memories! Thank you for the showing that even when the world seems to be getting worse there are upstanding citizens from near and far that do make it a better place to live. I will never be able to thank you for all of your generosity you have shown towards my family, but I will do my best to make sure they grow up to be upstanding citizens like all of you have proven to be.�
Sincerely,�

Tamara

BP-B6

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's a great thank-you note. Thanks for posting it, Mallard!

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by joe6555
I have read thru this post (it took a while, as I had to wipe my eyes several times). This has to be the best bunch of people anybody could ask for. Amazing generosity.

I will add a boy for consideration. Trenton is an average student, and overall an average kid (I think he is 12, if I remember correctly). He has a bigger sister into pep squads and female type activities. He is into whatever sport is going on at the time. Last season, a friend of his mother took him deer hunting and it changed his life. He didn't get a deer, although I believe he shot a hog late in the season. All he wants to talk about now is hunting and shooting. He practices with his pellet rifle, and his mom was able to buy him a Mossberg 500 for Christmas this past year.

His mom is a single working mom, like so many these days. She did manage to get a deer this past year. Unfortunately, it was with her car. About a month after getting it repaired, a woman talking on her cell phone hit Amanda and totaled her car. Not long after that, she had to get her gall bladder removed, then got a staph infection. It hasn't been a great year for her.

Not sure what else I might relay at this time. Just another young man who looks to have fallen in love with the great sport of hunting.

joe6555,

Sure sounds like Trenton is a young man that would make good use of a 243... Any thoughts from around the campfire?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think Trenton sounds like a great canidate for that .243.

788's are tack drivers. Mine was my first deet gun but now does long range coyote gun duty. It is currently out on semi permanent loan to my brothers girlfriend.

Assuming other guys get on board with this plan I'm in.

Last edited by MallardAddict; 05/01/12.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If enough guys think it might be ok, I will talk to Amanda and be sure it is ok with her. I think another young man may be getting a dose of happy this year. I do not, however want to bump crockettnj's nominee. There are lot's of deserving youngsters, and I wish I was in position to help all of them. Since crockettnj posted first, I think he should be at the head of the line. That is only fair.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Joe6555,

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that crockettnj's nominee (Andrew) wouldn't be bumped by your nominee (Trenton) at all, since there are two different rifles that have been offered:

.243 Remington 788 (from oregontripper, FOsteology, and mistem)
.270 Winchester 670 (from taylorce1)

Taylorce1 has already said that Andrew has dibs on the .270, subject to confirmation by crockettnj (since Andrew may not be able to accept.) In both cases the additional goodies to complete the package would have to be coordinated, though, as well as the order in which they were given out. Not to presume anything, but do either of the two nominees have a particular urgency that would bump them up in terms of time priority? If it's just deer season, then there is some time to get everything ready. Perhaps the first one that can definitively accept the generous offer should just be kitted out first with whatever other goodies 'fire members come up with?

I know that crockettnj was saying he had to confirm that his nominee could accept. joe6555, are you sure that your nominee is good-to-go?

Assuming that is the case, maybe it makes sense to get in touch with oregontripper, since he is the rifle donor, and see if he's okay with everything. (He sure sounds to me like a kid who'd be thrilled to get his first rifle, and would make good use of it!smile)

Last edited by dclayton; 05/02/12.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dclayton, your take on it seems spot on.

joe6555, Like to hear from others, but to me, Trenton is an ideal candidate for the 243. Let's give it a little time and see how it unfolds...

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Update --->

Gophergunner has put together a pack for the 788 243 project...

Nice cammo daypack,
lensatic compass,
Winchester 2 kife set with lockblade and a swiss army style,
blaze orange ball cap,
stainless steel vacuum bottle,
waterproof matches and a waterproof match holder,
poncho,
small flashlight with batteries,
disposable hand warmers,
simple knife sharpener,
some paracord,
and an emergency blanket.

That's great GG!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I just realized guys that I was remiss when I posted pictures and thank you letters from the hand off of the rifle and gear to the boys. I apparently forgot to attach the thank you letter from their mom so I will do so now.

To all that were involved in the overwhelmingly generous gifts to my sons, THANK YOU! It's always a tough spot when you want to be able to do things for your children and you're not able to. Such as provide them with life skills (hunting) that will benefit with them forever and the means to carry them out.�
I would never have asked for anyone to do this for my boys, I'm just not that type of person. However, when Matt explained the situation to me and he had thought of Coy (my oldest son), I was very honored that he felt my son was deserving.�
You have /will receive a thank you letter from Coy himself, but I thought I might just share a little more of the young man behind the scenes. Coy is a very considerate young man, always willing to help out others and also puts others before him self. He has a plan of what he wants to do in life, which includes serving the USA in the Marines (not 100% confirmed) �when he graduates from high school. And, although he does complain occasionally, he puts his family first and really does try to be a positive role model.�
This past year has been especially tough. I was unable to do anything for him for his birthday, and only 4 days later we had to put our dog, his best friend of 14 years, down. This won't bring our beloved family member back, but it will leave a very positive memory of this year etched in his mind, and the minds of my other two sons, forever!�
Thank you to everyone who participated in creating these everlasting memories! Thank you for the showing that even when the world seems to be getting worse there are upstanding citizens from near and far that do make it a better place to live. I will never be able to thank you for all of your generosity you have shown towards my family, but I will do my best to make sure they grow up to be upstanding citizens like all of you have proven to be.�
Sincerely,�

Tamara

MA,

I must have somehow missed the pictures, were they in this thread? I've been traveling for the last week so I must have missed it. I'm in Germany now, en route back to AK for leave.

EDIT: I just read back through and found 'em. Awesome pics! grin

Last edited by AlaskanMatt; 05/04/12.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by joe6555
I have read thru this post (it took a while, as I had to wipe my eyes several times). This has to be the best bunch of people anybody could ask for. Amazing generosity.

I will add a boy for consideration. Trenton is an average student, and overall an average kid (I think he is 12, if I remember correctly). He has a bigger sister into pep squads and female type activities. He is into whatever sport is going on at the time. Last season, a friend of his mother took him deer hunting and it changed his life. He didn't get a deer, although I believe he shot a hog late in the season. All he wants to talk about now is hunting and shooting. He practices with his pellet rifle, and his mom was able to buy him a Mossberg 500 for Christmas this past year.

His mom is a single working mom, like so many these days. She did manage to get a deer this past year. Unfortunately, it was with her car. About a month after getting it repaired, a woman talking on her cell phone hit Amanda and totaled her car. Not long after that, she had to get her gall bladder removed, then got a staph infection. It hasn't been a great year for her.

Not sure what else I might relay at this time. Just another young man who looks to have fallen in love with the great sport of hunting.

Has my vote for sure...all of these kids are as deserving of our support as are our veterans...

the way I look at it at my age, we can't take it with us... so passing it on to someone young and deserving... we couldn't do any better than that!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey Alaska Matt....

here's to a safe journey home...

and don't worry about your son getting that Sig 22 LR...

there are plenty of rifles around, plenty of generous guys on the Campfire and plenty of deserving kids...

and no kid is more important than the other... they are all important...your boy has made his sacrifices, as have your family... with Dad serving his nation half way around the world..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Joe,

This sounds like a very deserving individual. Please advocate for him here so we can get this process rolling.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be comfortable with Joe's nominee-what say the others here?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guys-if we get to the point we have a gun lined up for any of these kids, and need stuff like scopes, rings, and bases, I usually have a hand full of stuff sitting around. Most the bases and rings I have now are Weaver style, but I do have a little bit of Leupold stuff I can go through also. Some are new, some are used, and it's a mixed bag, but I might have what we end up needing. Most of this is stuff I've picked up on the Pay It Forward site here. What better use for this stuff than to give back to one of our own? I also have a couple entry level 3x-9x scopes if we don't come up with better glass. Just let me know.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks gophergunner. It sort of appears either the summer doldrums have hit, or everybody is about tapped out on things they can give. There has been a lot given away for sure. I have a few bases and rings, but unfortunately not a lot else. I have been pretty much out of work for a while and ended up having to sell several things I would like to still have. If the guys decide Trenton is a good candidate, I can tell you that I have talked to his mom and she is both appreciative and amazed. Looks like both her young ones have birthdays this summer. Her daughter says she needs/wants a laptop. Trenton told her that he needs a rifle so he doesn't have to borrow one to hunt this year. Sounds like he has plans to get out there this fall. Amanda said that any hunting equipment would be a true blessing.

I have contacted a local knife maker who said that the next knife that had a blemish making it unsellable he would consider donating.

I haven't talked to Chris, the guy who will be mentoring Trenton, but I reload and would be happy to keep him in ammunition if components are available. I don't have anything in .24 caliber unfortunately,, but would be happy to teach the young man the basics of putting a load together.

The concept of what you guys are doing is just plain fantastic. There aren't many places, especially with the economy like it is, that would come together and provide a person with the equipment to go out with everything needed to enjoy an activity like hunting. And you have done it several times!

While I am a member of several forums, this is by far the best and has the best overall group of fellow members. Just wish I was able to contribute something, but hope that maybe the future will allow me to join in the fun of doing so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM sent to Joe.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's time for another thank you in this GREAT thread! I took Timothy to pick up the Sig 522 from FOsteology on Saturday. He was completely surprised, and not sure how to handle the sudden good fortune! I explained to him that there are some truly good people out there who are very supportive of soldiers, and their families. I told him that some of those people had chosen to do something nice for him, in appreciation for his sacrifice - that of going without his dad for long periods of time due to deployments.

It was right about then that Timothy and I both had a sudden attack of allergies, causing our eyes to water up. Funny how that happens occasionally. whistle

So I thank you - from the bottom of my heart: FOsteology for the rifle, MallardAddict for the sling and MurphysLaw for the ammo. The sling is on, and Timothy loves the fact that he can carry his 522 like I carry my M4. I let him choose his own ammo, only advising him to buy different brands and types at first so he can find out what works best in his rifle. He chose a brick of Winchester white box, some Remington bulk HPs, and 100 rounds of CCI stingers. (I had a little influence on those as well - always been my favorite hunting round in .22 LR.)

Timothy is a very happy young man, and we're leaving tomorrow on a family camping trip. We're taking his new rifle, and he'll get to shoot it on the trip. I'll make sure to get plenty of pics to share. Here's a scanned copy of a thank - you note penned by Timothy, and a pic of him with the rifle in the gun shop:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Matt,

It was an honor and my pleasure to be a small part of this thing...

I can't see the pics on my work computer, but will check them out when I get home...

...that said, I don't need pics to know that our children's smiles are priceless.

Chris

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Timothy and Matt,

My pleasure. I'm positive you'll put it to good use and have a great deal of fun shooting it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AlaskaMatt,

My pleasure, I'm just glad Timothy can use the sling.

As soon as we get our next canidate confirmed and we know what the needs are I will dig in the spare bins again or get to shopping.

Page 24 of 30 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
550 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.