Page 31 of 71 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 70 71
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy, It kind of looks like your 30-06 doesn't it. Pad and all grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
...[URL=http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/chiefbsa/media/022_zpsc826920e.jpg.html]...

[Linked Image]

Your checkering is better. grin And the Alaskan came with a pad.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
See, I told you. It's almost your fwt's twin. If it makes you feel any better, that isn't the original pad on the Alaskan.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That doesn't make me feel any better. And this rifle find deserves a big "You suck!" grin

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well I bedded the barrel channel yesterday and freefloated it from the recoil lug out. Kind of like I did with the std wt I sold to EricM. Here's how she turned out:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I loaded up some 225gr. Hornady sp interlocks last night and took her out for a test drive today. Brass was new so load development for accuracy was kind of a moot point. However, Now I know a few things: The rifle functioned flawlessly, it's showing good potential for accuracy, and I don't like shooting in the damn rain and wind!!!!!:

First group fired with ol betsy's (my old faithful Ruger m77 mkII) pet load of 67gr. IMR4350 and 250gr. sierra gameking bullet. I used these bullets to get the scope adjusted. This was the actual first group fired with the '59 Alaskan (scope was not dialed in at this point):
[Linked Image] 3 shot group @ .950". Always a good thing when your first group with a new rifle is right around 1 MOA.

Here are some of the other groups shot today:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/009_zps0f157367.jpg[/img]

Shows some pretty good potential I think....It should do better next time out with some fireformed brass. Hopefully the weather is more cooperative as well. I think I'm going to love this ol girl grin

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks good bsa, get it ready for elk next year!

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ole 'Carlos' got to bark late today, 168 gr winchester black box BT's, 170 ish yds,never stopped walking, the SW GA rut has started, this last cold front,low got the peters hard !!
[Linked Image]
very best

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 12/01/13.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome buddy!!!! Congrats to you and "Carlos H".....Nice buck too!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks buddy. I have over 11 months to get her ready. Hopefully it doesn't take me that long laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA, congrats on your 338 Alaskan. One of my favorite pre-64 calibers! Too cool! cool

I need to find your pre-64 source!!! whistle

It looks like a real find. The few mods probably saved you from paying much more for collector's value. Your bedding work looks great and I'm sure with time and load workup it will be performing just like your 30-06 fwt. The groups look very promising!

Eric

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ive never shot a .338 win mag but my father in law used one to take an elk in Wyoming in the mid 60's. He was impressed with the mod 70 and the cal. He felt it was the perfect elk gun, His sister was head of Game and Fish for the state back then. Some way I got hold of a 338 win mag cartridge and I have rolled it over and dreamed of elk,moose and big bear many times. You guys out west get to enjoy an awe full lot or great country. My wife just corrected me this hunt happened in the 70's and Doc's sister Francine Osborne was a director on Game and Fish board. very best
+

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 12/02/13. Reason: fact correction
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well I bedded the barrel channel yesterday and freefloated it from the recoil lug out. Kind of like I did with the std wt I sold to EricM. Here's how she turned out:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I loaded up some 225gr. Hornady sp interlocks last night and took her out for a test drive today. Brass was new so load development for accuracy was kind of a moot point. However, Now I know a few things: The rifle functioned flawlessly, it's showing good potential for accuracy, and I don't like shooting in the damn rain and wind!!!!!:

First group fired with ol betsy's (my old faithful Ruger m77 mkII) pet load of 67gr. IMR4350 and 250gr. sierra gameking bullet. I used these bullets to get the scope adjusted. This was the actual first group fired with the '59 Alaskan (scope was not dialed in at this point):
[Linked Image] 3 shot group @ .950". Always a good thing when your first group with a new rifle is right around 1 MOA.

Here are some of the other groups shot today:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/009_zps0f157367.jpg[/img]

Shows some pretty good potential I think....It should do better next time out with some fireformed brass. Hopefully the weather is more cooperative as well. I think I'm going to love this ol girl grin

BSA, Do you take in any work or just buy em , bed and tune to suit you and sell em if you already have one? I learned early on with cattle,airplanes and guns that if you have the right 'no excuses . cattle,plane or gun they will dam near 'sell themselves' . Good looking bed and seal job, Ive been wanting to find something good to seal my barrel channels with. Any suggestions on sealers?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My unmolested barrel channels get custom pro oil or regular ol tru oil. That usually seals them up tight after a couple coats. This 338 barrel channel was kind of hacked on (see previous pics), so I just used a quick set epoxy on it. The guy that owned it before me did a fantastic job on the bedding under the receiver, so I'm kinda glad I don't have to do it myself. I feel it's almost imperative to glass bed these magnum/heavy kickers. If you don't, you run the risk of the stock splitting. A collector who doesn't use/shoot their rifles will probably strongly dissagree, but I use my rifles, so that's how I roll.. To answer your first question: Let me think about that one grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
BSA, congrats on your 338 Alaskan. One of my favorite pre-64 calibers! Too cool! cool

I need to find your pre-64 source!!! whistle

It looks like a real find. The few mods probably saved you from paying much more for collector's value. Your bedding work looks great and I'm sure with time and load workup it will be performing just like your 30-06 fwt. The groups look very promising!

Eric

Thanks buddy. I threw that old burris on her since I know it's a proven scope. It worked very well on the std wt I sold to you. Thanks for selling that scope back to me grin..

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Your loads are too low, use H-4350-70-250NP, same brass/primer and 72.5 with 225 grs.

Go to RE-22, the rifle will take 77 grs. under the 250 NP, my Dakota shoots bugholes with this, but, I drop to 76 in my four of these old Alaskans and they USUALLY do UNDER MOA.

These rifles were intended to shoot BIG GAME, with BIG BULLETS and to not be "babied".

Maybe, you just better send it to me, as I have some 47 years with these and know how to "stroke" them....... wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey Kute ol buddy. 71 gr's is book max for the Hornady 225's. I don't mind going over that to get better accuracy. But once I see pressure signs, I'll be backing off a bit. There's a big difference in the Hornady and Nosler bullets, damn sure can't substitute one for the other or you might end up with pieces of rifle instead of 1 good rifle. I've been doing this for a while too buddy.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is one of my FN made M70's on a 2 day hunt in public land in NC.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1955 243 FWT
Leupold Mountaineer
Lyman Tru Lock rings and bases:

[Linked Image]

My other rig shows its use:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 12/03/13.
R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
This one has been in here more than once, but it IS kinda nice, and it's "correct" for the period. M70 standard grade from '49, with steel Redfield Jr mounts and an older Lyman 4X. I'm putting the same scope and mounts on a '52 .270 standard I just bought...stay tuned for the pix. I really like this combo for a vintage 70.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 12/03/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alright, here's my latest find. 1959 Alaskan 338 win mag. It's in very good condition, but has been pillar/glass bedded and whoever did it did a damn fine job. I will re-do the barrel channel eventually. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a shooter:

As usual your stuff has me drooling

Last edited by southwind; 12/03/13.
Page 31 of 71 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 70 71

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (41rem, 300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,438
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.