Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's been over 30 years since I had a Ruger bolt action rifle. The last one was a heavy barrel .25-06 that wouldn't group under 2" to save my life. That made me very wary when hitting the "buy it now" on this one. So how come nobody over the past 30 years told me they were this good? (or someone probably did and I just wasn't listening sleep )

Have had the lefty SS short action Model 77 .308 for a few weeks now, long enough to get to know it. By all accounts I shouldn't like it as much as I do.

That stock is just weird. Why couldn't they put a normal salt and pepper laminate on it instead of this funky green-black-brown combo? But after living with it a while the combination is becoming "interesting". wink

The forearm shape is great but the pistol grip is all wrong for me - too flat on the sides, no swell at the bottom at all, too short, yada, yada. The rifle is heavy - just 2 ounces shy of 8 pounds with the Ruger rings and a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40. It could probably shed about 2 pounds with someone else's rings. wink But the weight keeps the recoil down and helps it hold steady, and even at 8 pounds it balances very well so it doesn't feel overly heavy.

But the main thing is - it shoots. Boy, does it shoot! Had it glass bedded and free floated and the smith worked on the trigger so it breaks really cleanly at a very consistent 3 pounds. the action is smoothing up and I've figured out I have to put a tad downward pressure on the bolt handle to keep it from binding.

The proof is in the pictures. Both groups below are the load it loves, Winchester cases, Fed 210, 47.5 grs. RL-15 and a Hornady 150 Spire Point seated .030" off the lands. It averages 2817 fps which is just perfect, it can take more without strain but I like it right where it is.

Two weeks ago working up loads - 7 shots, blustery windy day, wind shifting from 8 to 12 o'clock and gusting from from 2-3 to 15 mph. The flyer is my fault but those other 6 went into .570"

[Linked Image]

Today - another cold and windy day but it was steady at 9 o'clock and a pretty constant 15 mph. These were for sight-in, three shots into .404". two of those shots are right on top of each other.

[Linked Image]

And here it is. The ringer was the result of practice this morning, all shots at 200 yards, most from kneeling with a few from offhand. You can see the wind pushed most shots to the 3 o'clock side but the weight and steadiness of the rifle was a real help.

[Linked Image]
(Just noticed but that stock does camouflage nicely against my muddy ol' weedy back yard.)

To say I like this rifle is an understatement. Despite all the stuff that's "wrong" about it I really, really like it.

Damned if I'm not having a heck of time deciding whether to get another one. Don't need another .308, got two already so it'd have to be a rebarrel, but I'm thinking with that 2.9" magazine box I could be the first kid on my block with a left hand, stainless steel short action M77 in .257 Roberts. Somebody please talk me out of this... grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd do it if I was you and had your money.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice looking rifle. I'm really sold on these newer Rugers. The one's I've had even from a few years back all shoot. Can't imagine someone not having two or three.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good shootin'. It is clear you got that Ruger performing well and your enthusiasm is not lost on those of us who own Ruger 77s that do the same. Like your idea of a .257 Bob.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I own a LH SS laminate hawkeye in .270 win, .25-06 and .300 win mag. I almost jumped on the limited run of .308's but I'm tapped out on funds right now.

They are definitely good shooters. I bedded the 25-06 and will eventually bed the other 2, although I'm not sure they need it. I need trigger work on 2 of them, the .270 is perfect as-is.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the most part, I think since Ruger started making their own barrels ( in the early nineties I think ) accuracy has been a lot better. They won't compete on the lightweight circuit, but they are tough as nails. I like the few that I have.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the Ruger's I have is their Target rifle version and they sure enough are shooters. Haven't had a bad one yet.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They's good rifles. Have a few myself and all shoot more than well enough. Some ridiculously well. wink

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Very nice rifle w/ extraordinary results! I really like the color of that stock, personally.

Sounds like a great idea on the Bob! Do it up!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
its the result of cold hammer forging.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
All of my LH Ruger,s SS shoot well. Some better than others take a little to get them just right, and they all need to be bedded IMHO. I prefer the LH SS MK 2 06 to a LH SS Win 70 06 I owned.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dan360

You've already got one of those All Weather Hawkeye's in 308 so you know what he's talking about..... grin. You probably already sold it off though didn't you.......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It's been over 30 years since I had a Ruger bolt action rifle. The last one was a heavy barrel .25-06 that wouldn't group under 2" to save my life. That made me very wary when hitting the "buy it now" on this one. So how come nobody over the past 30 years told me they were this good? (or someone probably did and I just wasn't listening sleep )

Have had the lefty SS short action Model 77 .308 for a few weeks now, long enough to get to know it. By all accounts I shouldn't like it as much as I do.

That stock is just weird. Why couldn't they put a normal salt and pepper laminate on it instead of this funky green-black-brown combo? But after living with it a while the combination is becoming "interesting". wink

The forearm shape is great but the pistol grip is all wrong for me - too flat on the sides, no swell at the bottom at all, too short, yada, yada. The rifle is heavy - just 2 ounces shy of 8 pounds with the Ruger rings and a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40. It could probably shed about 2 pounds with someone else's rings. wink But the weight keeps the recoil down and helps it hold steady, and even at 8 pounds it balances very well so it doesn't feel overly heavy.

But the main thing is - it shoots. Boy, does it shoot! Had it glass bedded and free floated and the smith worked on the trigger so it breaks really cleanly at a very consistent 3 pounds. the action is smoothing up and I've figured out I have to put a tad downward pressure on the bolt handle to keep it from binding.

The proof is in the pictures. Both groups below are the load it loves, Winchester cases, Fed 210, 47.5 grs. RL-15 and a Hornady 150 Spire Point seated .030" off the lands. It averages 2817 fps which is just perfect, it can take more without strain but I like it right where it is.

Two weeks ago working up loads - 7 shots, blustery windy day, wind shifting from 8 to 12 o'clock and gusting from from 2-3 to 15 mph. The flyer is my fault but those other 6 went into .570"

[Linked Image]

Today - another cold and windy day but it was steady at 9 o'clock and a pretty constant 15 mph. These were for sight-in, three shots into .404". two of those shots are right on top of each other.

[Linked Image]

And here it is. The ringer was the result of practice this morning, all shots at 200 yards, most from kneeling with a few from offhand. You can see the wind pushed most shots to the 3 o'clock side but the weight and steadiness of the rifle was a real help.

[Linked Image]
(Just noticed but that stock does camouflage nicely against my muddy ol' weedy back yard.)

To say I like this rifle is an understatement. Despite all the stuff that's "wrong" about it I really, really like it.

Damned if I'm not having a heck of time deciding whether to get another one. Don't need another .308, got two already so it'd have to be a rebarrel, but I'm thinking with that 2.9" magazine box I could be the first kid on my block with a left hand, stainless steel short action M77 in .257 Roberts. Somebody please talk me out of this... grin

Very nice rifle and very nice shooting... I've got a righty SS/walnut 308 Hawkeye that does the same thing...........great rifles. I got rid of a new winchester model 70 fwt 308 and kept the hawkeye if that tells you something....About time you listened up...... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You've already got one of those All Weather Hawkeye's in 308 so you know what he's talking about..... grin.

No he doesn't.

You probably already sold it off though didn't you.......

Yes he did.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK

You've already got one of those All Weather Hawkeye's in 308 so you know what he's talking about..... grin.

No he doesn't.

You probably already sold it off though didn't you.......

Yes he did.

Dan Dan Dan,,,,,what are we going to do with you.... grin I like all of my Rugers, they are the work rifles in the family...... whistle. Even the tang safety 300 win mag was shooting awesome yesterday.......

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wont be without one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wont be without one.

Please tell me you still have your pre 64 300 winny....

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Go for the 257 Roberts. I bought a M77 tang safety recently and it shots great with my reloads of 100 gr Sierra PH's and IMR 3031 (right our of the Sierra Manual). I didn't really need this rifle but I got a good deal so I bought it or at least thats what I told my wife when she saw it hidden in the back of my car.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ackleyman
Go for the 257 Roberts. I bought a M77 tang safety recently and it shots great with my reloads of 100 gr Sierra PH's and IMR 3031 (right our of the Sierra Manual). I didn't really need this rifle but I got a good deal so I bought it or at least thats what I told my wife when she saw it hidden in the back of my car.

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger's accuracy definitely improved when they started making their own barrels.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 3,032 guests, and 1,411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.