Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I'm going to South Africa in 2013 and want to get a comfortable and durable boot. I have a pair of Cabela's/Meindel Alakan Hunting boots that I really like, I was looking at the Meindel Hikers and the Kenetrek Desert Guides and Hardscrabble Hikers. What do you African hunting veterans like to wear? Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking of getting these.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Uninsulated-Ultralight-Hunter-Boots-by-Meindl/1237095.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeindl%2B%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meindl+&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I need a boot that has very good ankle support. I figure given the experience I have with my 3 other pairs of Meindl boots/shoes, these would be great. Lots of support, yet uninsulated, light and supposedly quiet soles. The soles would be the only thing I would question.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AB2506
I'm thinking of getting these.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Uninsulated-Ultralight-Hunter-Boots-by-Meindl/1237095.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeindl%2B%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meindl+&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I need a boot that has very good ankle support. I figure given the experience I have with my 3 other pairs of Meindl boots/shoes, these would be great. Lots of support, yet uninsulated, light and supposedly quiet soles. The soles would be the only thing I would question.

I looked at those and wasn't too impressed with the construction. I didn't like the fact they use 'lace loops' for the area right across the ankle. Seems to me that's a high stress area and prone to failure. Also, these aren't German made Meindls. They are made in Vietnam.

I ended up with the Denali uninsulated and they are awesome IMHO.

Oh, when I went to RSA back in '09 I just wore my Justin Lacer work boots and had no troubles.

He went over yonder way
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Oh, and mine is an 'experience of one' so YMMV.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's why I'll head down to Post Falls,ID or Billings, Mt to place my Mark I eyeball on the boots before I buy. I don't expect our Canadian Cabelas in Edmonton will be stocking them. It's like we're in a third world country for sporting goods.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As for the lace at the ankle, I have a couple of different shoes that have a similar feature. So far, the nylon strap has held up, and works well. Nothing to be afraid of. Made in Vietnam, I guess a person has to judge for themselves when they eyeball them.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In Tanzania I have been wearing Meindl Air Lite 2 boots, and they have been great for me. Both dry and wet (walking in rivers) conditions.

In the jungle I wear Meindl Sambar boots that I buy in Aus.

Mind you, I have arthritis in one foot and I find the fit of the Meindls' superior to others I have tried recently. the foot limits things.

Good luck with your search and the hunt next year.

Cheers, Chris

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think most Africa-bound hunters take boots that are too heavy and rigid. These are too loud when you are trying to sneak. Africa is not steep and rugged like the Rockies or Alaska sheep country. The various scouts and trackers are typically wearing little more than sandals or tennis shoes. I am going back in August to Zim and will be taking more like light upland bird boots than my Kenetreks. I'll let you know how they work out.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lite weight boots, little more than ankle high and not of heavy lugg type sole will be best. Uninsulated goretex will work great. You won't need heavy socks either.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You don't need boots. Go to a running store and get a pair of trail running shoes. Have done the job for me on many trips. Remember you need to be able to walk quietly. Hard soles make this difficult.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Guys--thanks, keep it coming. I hear you on the light weight hikers. I was leaning towards a heavier hiker for a tougher sole. I normally wear Vasque Clarion's but they don't have the rubber toe and get scuffed easily, I've heard Africa if full of pointed things. I have a pair of the Merrell Reflex Gore Tex hikers and they are comfortable but I wore them in Colorado elk hunting and they offered no support going down hill. I see in Dangerous Game Hunting magazine Tim Herald recommends Cabela's Active Trail Hikers, I'll have to check them out at Cabela's, they appear similar to the Merrell's.

Last edited by NJelksmacker; 05/04/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might find this article interesting.

African Hunting Boots

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RinB
You don't need boots. Go to a running store and get a pair of trail running shoes. Have done the job for me on many trips. Remember you need to be able to walk quietly. Hard soles make this difficult.

My feelings exactly. I've done four safaris and soon to be five with Nu Balance trail shoes and leather gaiters. I've never seen a need for boots in Africa.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I wore Merrell light hikers in Namibia. In fact those were the only shoes I took. I like to travel light, so I wore them over, 12 days there, and wore them home. Perfect..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you get and take, make sure it has ZERO, and I do mean ZERO, NONE, NADA, IXNE, NOPE thinsulate or any other insulation. Feet get too hot in those. Light wieght, soft soles, leather and not nylon mesh (which will not keep out anykind of thorn) and over the ankle slightly. Add some lightweight short over the top gaiters and you are good to go. Break them in well long before you go. I have seen boots and shoede give up the ghost on a Safari (and one of them was a fresh pair of Merrels!) so I try to travel over and back in shoes that can be pressed into service as hunting shoes if my primary boots go ka boom mid trip. High top Tennis shoes or cross training shoes so long as they have 100% leather uppers and cover ones ankles are terrific for travleing and backup hunting shoes. Redundancy is a very good concept to keep in mind when planning and packing for such a trip.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RSA has a wide variety of terrains and weather can vary enormously depending on when you go so you need to ask your outfitter what you can expect in those regards and then choose your boots accordingly.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a pair of old (1996 vintage) Rocky mid-height, cordura, GoreTex, 200 gm Thinsulate very lightweight chukka-like shoes that I have worn all over the place in numerous hunts including Africa in 2002. They will again head to Africa in June. Wouldn't buy Rocky's today but I would want the same style shoe if I were looking.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What I wore for my hunt in Zimbabwe, last summer was the 6" soft toe Converse Military Desert Boot. You can buy them on line for about $90. I have feet issues, and these boots provided great support, comfort, and toughness, at a very reasonable price.

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been reading about boot selection for Africa for years with amazement. My feet are the same whether they are in Africa or at home here in Southern Arizona. I wear what is comfortable for my feet period. In my case that happens to be a pair of Russell High Country Sheephunters. To me walking is walking and since I don't really climb mountains or any other rather esoteric walking experiences I just wear what is comfortable. I have made 8 safaris to Africa but all were to Zimbabwe but I have then hunted almost all areas of that country and I actually did not find the footwear requirements any different from what I wear here in Arizona. Two of my favorite PH friends in Zimbabwe ,in fact, prefer to hunt barefooted if you can believe it. I personally don't even go bare-footed on the carpet in my home much less outside. People sure have funny ideas about footwear.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by utah708
I think most Africa-bound hunters take boots that are too heavy and rigid. These are too loud when you are trying to sneak. Africa is not steep and rugged like the Rockies or Alaska sheep country. The various scouts and trackers are typically wearing little more than sandals or tennis shoes. I am going back in August to Zim and will be taking more like light upland bird boots than my Kenetreks. I'll let you know how they work out.

My guide said the same. I used some sneaker type shoes with an aggressive sole quite effectively. Running shoes may have been better.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.