Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like it, glad mine has it. Great to pop the extractor over the rim if you follow the charging handle a little too much. Hell of a lot better then pulling the mag and dropping the bolt again.

Used it a couple times varmint calling the other night as a matter of fact.

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
ARIC

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
They are. If you buy one with out it, you are throwing your money away...

Battle is an orgy of disorder. George S. Patton, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, V/R Chris https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...12828/gonew/1/Call_to_fellow_Vets#UNREAD
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I now have four uppers without the FA and haven't had an issue. I can't even stage the sort of malfunction in my Colt that would require the FA, despite having fired 1400 rounds without cleaning since I got it in 2010.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cmr287
They are. If you buy one with out it, you are throwing your money away...

I don't know why your are doing drive by's on all these old posts tonight, but at least give good advice. Everyone has been wrong.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FA sure does make quiet chambering when hunting a lot easier.

And for the dust storms we ride around in at times... just a bit more peace of mind for chambering rounds when we find a yote/hog etc...

I especially wouldn't pay MORE for a stripped upper with LESS on it...

And no one ever decided to do away with FA on the M1, M1 carbine, AK, SKS, M14 etc....(well that could make initial chambering a bit rough though...)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When it was first added to the rifle the FA was an increase in cost of 5%. Now economies of scale favor the FA, but that will change as uppers without FA become more popular.

As to chambering quietly, I can do that without the FA too, but I'm not in the habit of running around with an empty weapon.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
No.

But I wouldn't have an AR without it.

It's one of those things you never need, until you do.

+1

No reason to not have it. I've seen magazine problems cause stoppages that were easily fixed with the slightest nudge on the FA many many times. Same can happen with a dirty & dry rifle.

RLTW
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd be curious to know what magazine issues can be fixed by pushing on the bolt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bottom line - If you don't like it, then don't buy a rifle that has it. I like to use it to ensure that the bolt is locked in when predator calling. Depends on what you use your AR for I suppose. I see no reason not to have it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like not having it because it is seven parts, two springs, a significant number of machining operations, two ounces and it protrudes dramatically from my rifle.

But, that's just me.

FWIW Rainier has been selling 100 of those uppers a month since they brought them out, with the rate increasing dramatically as time went on.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nope. Doesn't hurt anything, but if I got a good deal on a receiver/rifle without an assist I'd jump on it.

If your AR isn't in battery you should be pulling the charging handle, not hitting your FA, anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the idea is to not make any noise, racking the charging handle is counter productive.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ranger1
When the idea is to not make any noise, racking the charging handle is counter productive.

I can lower the bolt on a live round slowly and get it ready to go without a charging handle. The real question is, why can't you?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I see upper recievers some with and some without, are they a must have?

No.

Yup.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RyanScott
Originally Posted by ranger1

I can lower the bolt on a live round slowly and get it ready to go without a charging handle. The real question is, why can't you?

When someone is trying to kill your a$$, the noise isn't an issue.

If you are slowly lowering an AR bolt, and not checking for crossover, you are fundamentally ignorant of how to operate the weapon. Just because stupid schit works most of the time doesn't mean it isn't still stupid.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When coyotes start shooting back, I'll take this "schit" more seriously...

In the mean time I load at the truck and I'm pretty sure they heard the truck rolling in anyway. I also know how to load a magazine (push/pull) and have never had one of my guns not pick up a shell.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
WTF is crossover?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Checking the magazine for which side the top round is on, inserting and chambering then removing mag and feeling that the top round is on the opposite side.

It is to ensure that a round has in fact been chambered... Like a press check only different.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think he's referring to checking the mag to see which side the shell is on and after loading a round, removing said mag to see if the next round is on the other side now. I know the GP is to keep from having to press check but I could be wrong.

Push/pull is quicker and doesn't double the chance of a mag not seating.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
When coyotes start shooting back, I'll take this "schit" more seriously...

In the mean time I load at the truck and I'm pretty sure they heard the truck rolling in anyway. I also know how to load a magazine (push/pull) and have never had one of my guns not pick up a shell.

Just wait 'till them "tactical" coy dogs get after you.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.