Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
An article in Precision Shooting a few years back, said the Ruger barrels are made on exactly the same hammer forging machinery used by Remington and Winchester.The machinery is "one source",out of Germany and there are not many in the US,although that might have changed by now.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty fond of the MKII boat paddle model I have, I've handled a few of the new stainless laminate ones and liked them a lot. A lot of rifle for the money. Hope to add s few more to the spafe over the years.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
An article in Precision Shooting a few years back, said the Ruger barrels are made on exactly the same hammer forging machinery used by Remington and Winchester.The machinery is "one source",out of Germany and there are not many in the US,although that might have changed by now.

"Things that make you go Hmmmm"...right there....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've not had a bad Ruger myself. They are a good rifle from a great company, IMO.

However, I prefer to spend my time with others.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jim, some of us have been telling you for years they are very good rifles, but you were not listening.

Last edited by cole_k; 05/05/12.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the look of that gun too. It sure does shoot great, my LH 375 Ruger sure shoots well too.

Last edited by gerrygoat; 05/05/12.

Gerry.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do they put good triggers in them now?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The rifle is heavy - just 2 ounces shy of 8 pounds with the Ruger rings and a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40. It could probably shed about 2 pounds with someone else's rings. wink But the weight keeps the recoil down and helps it hold steady, and even at 8 pounds it balances very well so it doesn't feel overly heavy.

I don't consider an 8lb scoped rifle as being heavy. I am actually surprised your Ruger came in that light.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

... Don't need another .308, got two already so it'd have to be a rebarrel, but I'm thinking with that 2.9" magazine box I could be the first kid on my block with a left hand, stainless steel short action M77 in .257 Roberts. Somebody please talk me out of this... grin

That would be a great rifle; you should do it. Just be warned that I have a LH blued Hawkeye in .260 Rem, so you wouldn't be the first if you went that way. Sorry. grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Remington and winchester dont use CHF barrels that I am aware of. Maybe on 22's which is how ruger got started using them. The 10-22T madel had Steyr bbl.
Ruger owns thier machine. bought it in '93 I think, used from CZ when they upgraded. It cost ruger something like 9 million.
Think about the difference between a Japanese tanto and a CSA calvary saber. The hammering. the folding. The temering.
You cant take a piece of tubed carbon steel and drag a button thru it and get the same exact dimensions each time like you can hammering steel over a carbide mandrel.

I have been shooting Steyr's , almost exclusivly, since my forst one in 1998. They amazed me and I started learning about the CHF prosses.
Steyr, SAKO, A zoli, Blaser, Tikka, CZ....
When you hear thosenames does inaccurate ever come to mind?
Ruger barrels are very good. very fine examples of CHF and more smooth off the machine than the best handlapped remington.
But their trigger SUCKS. The last ruger I bought, AND I MEAN THE LAST, was a hawkeye SS.
I shot it beside a 1942 bring back, 100% factory configuaration K98 shooting Nazi stamped ammo.
The out shot the ruger by a large margin using iron sights against a burris 3-9 on the ruger.
The problem. The trigger was 75% the weight of the rifle. theres no way to pull 75% of the rifles weight in the trigger without disturbing sight picture.

here is the article the came out in PR mag...
Precision Shooting Magazine November 2005

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The upper right hand group settled load development for my Ruger M77 SS 308. Came with a laminate stock but swapped Dad (Dave in WV) for a boat paddle one. Bolted it on and called this load the hunting one. 46.5gr of RL-15 and 150 gr Hornady SPs. R-P hulls and WLR primers.
[Linked Image]

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Remington and winchester dont use CHF barrels that I am aware of. Maybe on 22's which is how ruger got started using them. The 10-22T madel had Steyr bbl.
Ruger owns thier machine. bought it in '93 I think, used from CZ when they upgraded. It cost ruger something like 9 million.
Think about the difference between a Japanese tanto and a CSA calvary saber. The hammering. the folding. The temering.
You cant take a piece of tubed carbon steel and drag a button thru it and get the same exact dimensions each time like you can hammering steel over a carbide mandrel.

Remington uses hammer forged barrels. And you're way off base about button rifled barrels. For example, a Douglas premium air gauge barrel has .0001", one ten thousandth, or less variation in diameter throughout its length.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ringworm

I have been shooting Steyr's , almost exclusivly, since my forst one in 1998. They amazed me and I started learning about the CHF prosses.
Steyr, SAKO, A zoli, Blaser, Tikka, CZ....
When you hear thosenames does inaccurate ever come to mind?
Ruger barrels are very good. very fine examples of CHF and more smooth off the machine than the best handlapped remington.
But their trigger SUCKS. The last ruger I bought, AND I MEAN THE LAST, was a hawkeye SS.
I shot it beside a 1942 bring back, 100% factory configuaration K98 shooting Nazi stamped ammo.
The out shot the ruger by a large margin using iron sights against a burris 3-9 on the ruger.
The problem. The trigger was 75% the weight of the rifle. theres no way to pull 75% of the rifles weight in the trigger without disturbing sight picture.

here is the article the came out in PR mag...
Precision Shooting Magazine November 2005

Sorry to hear you had problems with your "last" Ruger due to a bad trigger (on a Hawkeye with the LC6 nonetheless).....but the trigger is one of the easiest things to fix on these rifles....Too bad they couldn't go back to the oldstyle adjustable trigger the M77R (tang safety) model had......My hawkeye 308 has a pretty sweet trigger after just replacing the spring and polishing the sear (I don't mean hone or file either, just polish)......Now the M77 MKII's had the worst triggers I've ever seen, you had to either hone to reduce sear engagement, change an angle or 2, polish, and change the spring or replace the whole unit to end up with a nice trigger..what a PITA they are......One thing about a Ruger M77 rifle though, is once you bed them, and refine the trigger they usually end up good shooters. My most recent cheap rifle find was an old tang safety model 77 (300 win mag) that I had cerekoted last week since I knew it was a good shooter (even though they are known to be inacurate sob's). I threw the scope back on the rifle (since I had the rings cerekoted too) and proceeded to check where the POI was so I could adjust the scope. With my last 5 cartridges I had loaded up from the last outing I let them fly and this is how the old girl did (180gr. winchester powerpoint load):

[Linked Image]

This is it after cerekoting:
[Linked Image]

The rifle is bedded with factory pressure point left in, trigger is great and action is slick as my winchester model 70's....Going back to the 308 Hawkeye like the OP first posted, mine shoots just as good as my 300 win mag tang safety shown above......maybe even a tad better grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, Remington has been using hammer-forged barrels on their mass-production centerfires for years. The barrels on Rugers have been more consistent since they started making their own, but a lot of the barrels before then shot quite well too.

One thing I have noticed in the past few years is Ruger's barrels look like they've been lapped--not as much as a hand-lapped custom barrel, but enough to take remove some of the rougher spots. Or at least that's what they look like through my bore-scope. Some look absolutely perfect.

The triggers on the Mark II 77's and the slightly improved version on the Hawkeye may not be perfect out of the box, but they're really easy to fix. Even I can convert them to a safe, crisp 2-3 pound pull in about half an hour.

Usually any of the Ruger centerfire bolt-actions shoots better if the barrel's free-floated. I don't know why they don't just do that at the factory with all their models, but for some they don't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's been over 30 years since I had a Ruger bolt action rifle. The last one was a heavy barrel .25-06 that wouldn't group under 2" to save my life.

A huntin' bud had that same experience with his new M77V in that cartridge, about 15-20 years ago. Finally gave up and had it rebarreled in 6mm-06. While I've seen a few tang safety M77s that weren't all that great, mine in 25-06 gets it done, but it took a few different loads to get it there. It loves 100gr Btips over 54grs of IMR 4831, just like all of my other 25-06s.

My impression over the last few years at our club's ranges, is that most are tickled with their new Rugers.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dan360
I wont be without one.

Please tell me you still have your pre 64 300 winny....

YEP smile

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Some joker put the bolt handle on the wrong side of an otherwise very useful rifle.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's a neat little three shot, 100 yd. group shot out of my Ruger Hawkeye African 375 Ruger, with 300 gr. Barnes TSX bullets.

Well within 'minute of buffalo' accuracy.......

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never seen one of those. IMO it looks good, a lot better than the description of it. Nothing wrong with the way it shoots either.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I arranged for the FFL transfer on one of these today- now I just need to heal up from the two back surgeries I got the last two weeks in a row. I can't wait to get this Ruger tuned up; it's the first left bolt I've treated myself to. cool

There are still four left, if anyone (including Jim getting his second one) is interested.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283682719

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 280shooter, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,950 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,669
Posts18,399,400
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.