Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No problem fellas. I agree with you about having good ground. You still have to be able to make a 384 yd shot at very, very first light like he did with his 200" TX buck. My point was that if a VXII can still get it done, there are lots of scopes that can do the same. I think most us over analyze this scope stuff when it comes to big game hunting.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider
No problem fellas. I agree with you about having good ground. You still have to be able to make a 384 yd shot at very, very first light like he did with his 200" TX buck. My point was that if a VXII can still get it done, there are lots of scopes that can do the same. I think most us over analyze this scope stuff when it comes to big game hunting.

+ 1

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I think most us over analyze this scope stuff when it comes to big game hunting.

I totally agree, but what else are we going to do the other 50 weeks of the year? crazy

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I want to Thank all for the real world replies. This a new rifle and half of the enjoyment of this hobby is to come up with the perfect rig ( for at least a week anyway). My 3.5 X 10 has worked great three times out there but I wanted to touch base with those he hunt the west more than every other year. Back here in the Allegheny Mountains we see 100 yards as a long shot.
That being sais I have ordered a 4.5 X 14 with CDS. I will keep you posted.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You're gonna like it cbennett IMO. My neighbor put one on a 7STW and it works as advertized.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There isn't very much western hunting that can't be managed nicely with a fixed 6X.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BobinNH
There isn't very much western hunting that can't be managed nicely with a fixed 6X.

I think I'd want something smaller to go bear hunting, like 1-4x. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

To each his own opinion and way to get it done!

While we both have experience hunting our eyesight and methods may vary in a significant manner.

I was hunting here in New England on a very large farm. I saw something way off across the highway on the other part of the farmers land. It looked like it may have been a deer but I was not sure. I had venison and did not want to shoot a doe.

I turned my 3-9 Conquest up to 9 and I could not be sure if it was worth the hike to get closer. My binoculars were Leu 8X's which I liked up to then.

Thus I have purchased switch power binoculars that go from 7X to 12X.

I am not comfortable with a fixed 6X rifle scope for game hunting. My eyesight, while acute, does not handle fast moving game with that much magnification when up close. I have run and won running deer shoots and shot many moving deer up closer.

I have shot many pests with a fixed 6X back when its all I had on my .222. That was long ago. I find variables to be more useful to me.

To each his own.
[Linked Image]

To add:
I remembered when we were in school and checking out playing golf as a hobby. One of us said that he could do the whole course with a 5 iron. Suppose he could!

What was he thinking? Perhaps that he was better than any of us or the opposite and that he should wear a hair shirt?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Savage_99
[quote=BobinNH]..... Perhaps that he was better than any of us or the opposite and that he should wear a hair shirt?

This is such an odd place confused

I get your point but I have never previously run into the mindset that thinks using a fixed power scope was a manifestation of machismo or superior ability justifying chest pounding; or that using a variable ws a way for the visiually challenged to kill more game.....I always thought people used a fixed power scopes because they wanted something simple and rugged as sighting equipment;not to confer bragging rights....peculiar notion.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some hunters are better off with fixed power scopes.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you keep going west, things get thick again. Sitting here ~45 miles from the end of "west" it always cracks me up to hear tell of that more open western hunting. smile

Anyway, all kidding aside, I like the mid-power variables myself for hunting. There's a whole lot of perfect-for-that living in a good 3-9'ish scope. I refrained from extemporizing on this earlier in the thread and just stuck to the OP's question but for me, scopes in the 2.5-8, 3-9, 3-10 range git 'er done nicely from near to far without physically overpowering my light rifles. I like to practice at longer ranges and the 8,9,10x on the top end works fine for me.

HOWEVER, I do think that we all have our own eyes to please and so on, and, at least half the fun of the gun loon hobby is playing with new toys. To that end it's rare that a truly definitive statement can be made in the rifle optics world.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Savage_99
[quote=BobinNH]..... Perhaps that he was better than any of us or the opposite and that he should wear a hair shirt?

This is such an odd place confused ....

laugh

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I am a Leupold man, but for 35yrs or better I have been using
2x7 Leupolds on most of my guns, because I don't want to give up the wide field of view or the very generous eye relief, and I havn't found much that I couldn't kill on 7 Power, and even the difference between the fields of view of 2 power and 3 power is more then I want to give up, but then again, I have taken a lot of game on the run, at under a 100yds, so that is more important to me then the odd standing shot at 200yd plus and 300yds is the rare shot for me, but I have taken coyotes at the longer ranges with even a Leupold 1.5 x 5 although a little more power is a plus I just hate to give up the low end of things.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,150 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.