Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Not the eyebrow but the nose left handed; I am right handed out of a tree stand. A good bit of blood. When I went for my physical in December my Dr. Said "you have broken your nose what did you do. This was November 2011, I w as shooting my .325 WSM. GRF

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You mean one of these? I acquired this gem from a combination of causes. I was shooting prone at an elk across a draw higher than me so my rifle was tilted upwards (300 WSM). Also, I'd put on a set of Blizzard flip-up scope caps which stick out the back of the scope almost an inch (I no longer have the rear cap in place). Put it together and whammo!

[Linked Image]

Heck RC- that's better than my magnum eyebrow, shooting uphill at a moose 16 yards away, with a .338 Mag with 270/275? gr. Speer handloads.. The bullet caught him frontally just under the chin as he was reaching up for a browse morsel. The bullet exploded when it hit his spine and darned near decapitated him. Did flip him rigjht over on his back (it was a yearling).

Didn't know I was bleeding until it started dripping off my nose.

The other 3 were all with an '06, 180 grain loads.. the SAME '06! ...target shooting, at different times. Ya gotta hang on to them things! smile

Last edited by las; 05/06/12.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I got my first and only scope rash from a 30-06 shooting 130 grain bullets. I had been sitting my stand all afternoon as the temp dropped down into the low teens over six hours. I sit very quiet and still. I had no idea how cold I was until the deer came out and I was shaking so bad I couldn't hold the cross hairs on him. I forced myself to relax and made the shot fine, but I didn't hold onto the rifle. When I went to gut the deer I had the rubber gloves on and the knife out when I noticed I hadn't started on the deer but I already had blood on my hands. Climbing down from the stand and walking out to the deer circulated enough blood through my cold arms and legs that I really got cold. Fortunately my partner showed up and took the knife away from me or I'd likely have cut myself too. I never felt the scope hitting me. Probably a good thing I was so cold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh yes. I have a collection of scars, and it took me quite a lot of shooting and concentrating to get over the flinch. Took that bushy 3200 off the '06 that and put it on my 10/22.

Got a 416 Rigby on the way. Don't think I'll scope it at all.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not me. It was a 45-70. My naive attempt at 458'ing a Ruger. crazy

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
300Win mag, 3-10 Shepherd, 200gn TSX, 1st attempt @ a very offensive looking white rock @ 700yds out the window, over the mirror, slightly uphill. I'd shot that rifle/load quite a bit and never so much as bumped my 'brow with any of the 1/2 dozen Leupold's I'd had on top. That Shepherd went away rather quickly after season ended.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It happened only once for me. I have never been one to shy away from recoil. So, I thought I would give 3" sabot slugs a try out of my 12 gauge scopped slug gun. No blood, but damn did it hurt. Why I thought I might need 3" slugs I'll never know. blush

Last edited by RS308MX; 05/07/12.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RS308MX
It happened only once for me. I have never been one to shy away from recoil. So, I thought I would give 3" sabot slugs a try out of my 12 gauge scopped slug gun. No blood, but damn did it hurt. Why I thought I might need 3" slugs I'll never know. blush
Blame Isaac Newton: "for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction". grin

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No blood yet...but I have repeatedly had to straighten my damn glasses frames out!

But my favorite is the "baseball cap bill karate chop" to the forehead. wink

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A magnum has never got me but my Rem 760 .30-06 with 180's got me when I was a teen. Blood dribbled all the way down into my mouth.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by McCray

But my favorite is the "baseball cap bill karate chop" to the forehead. wink

I've had a couple er three of those.

One at an especially inopportune time. I had jumped a buck one COLD morning and when I thru the rifle up, the hunting cap bill did the chop. Couldn't see nuttin but underside of cap bill. ughh.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag pkg rifle w/ Bushnell Sportview (was a poor college kid . . .). Anyway, was sighting it in just after I bought it, and go a little too comfortable - didn't hold it tight enough. Finished sighting it in once I got the blood to slow down to a slight trickle, then went to the infirmary at school - they put some butterflies (?) on it that I had to leave on for 3-4 days.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
my brother played hooky from work to hunt the deer opener. he wasn't sure what he was going to use as an excuse but when he sighted his rifle in he got scoped pretty good.

went to work the next day and had a great lie- hurt his head working on his house and that's why he called off.

the janitor walked by and said "you know, that looks like a scope..."

my brother interrupted him with "yeah, does sort of look like that huh?"

lol

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've shot all kinds of "Big Guns" 458, 375, 416 etc etc, but the only one that ever "GOT" me was one of those goofy Thompson contender carbines in 444 marlin, it hit me right between the eyes and buckled my knees and I saw stars. Didn't bleed a lot but I no longer have that little gun.

Bart

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
TC Encore in 405 win did the deed. Crawled the stock getting in position behind a tree. It is a thumper.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have plenty of scars on my young body. I just happen to have one partly hidden by my eyebrow from a 300 Winchester Magnum shot from an odd angle at a pig.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I have plenty of scars on my young body. I just happen to have one partly hidden by my eyebrow from a 300 Winchester Magnum shot from an odd angle at a pig.

You mean when you were shooting your daisy the other day..... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do have a scar from a BB that was shot at me by my older brother.

I ended up breaking the gun over his back. laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I do have a scar from a BB that was shot at me by my older brother.

I ended up breaking the gun over his back. laugh

That's TFF...... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He hit me in the shoulder from about twenty feet away, the look on his face when I started towards him was priceless. A "Oh chit" face.

It does not help I outweigh him by twenty pounds. grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 31 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.