Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter
There was Wild West Guns and another I can't remember..Talk is once the Buffalo guys get the big .500 S&W fixed right in there levergun,they will make the 454 Casull in a levergun.

Here is one prototype..I think it was Wild West guns..Don't quote me but it is the action that fails in a levergun with a SAAMI of 65,000 PSI.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Wow.
That thing looks like it's built like a bank vault.
Impressive.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, WHB - you win!

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The problem was with Wild West Guns 454 Casull if memory serves me...It would not take the pressure of the 454 Casull(65,000 PSI) as beefed up as it is.....

Think about the Sammi "Proof" on a 65,000 PSI cartridge.

Jayco

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Doc,

I'd hate to be so limited but were it to occur, there are many variables to consider. A handgun, to my way of looking at this topic, would primarily be for self-defense. So I'd look at the utility of rifle first. I'd want a rifle that can harvest most North American game. I'd go with a .454 Casull. I'd use very stout rounds in it. For my handgun, I'd use .45LC ammo, not necessarily anything other than standard factory stuff. In self-defense applications, sight picture retention and quick follow-up shots are mandatory.

A very good argument could support either a .44 Rem Mag or .41 Rem Mag. I wouldn't consider a .357 Mag. But that's merely my opinion.

In any case, one would have to become a damned good hunter were one limited to using a rifle chambered for a handgun round.

Take care,

R

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All you would have to do is learn to hunt like a bowhunter. Getting inside of 100 yards on most critters is not as difficult as some would make it seem. The right large caliber handgun is effective at that range and you do not have to go through the motion of drawing it like a bow.

The rifle would just be "guilding the lilly" to an already potent
handgun cartridge, and adding range. Remember Elmer was able to call his shots at 600 yards with a 4" barrel M29. Took game at unbeleivable range with the same. Pay your dues, practice, practice, practice and you will be amazed at what an accurate LC handgun can accomplish.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Raisuli

In any case, one would have to become a damned good hunter were one limited to using a rifle chambered for a handgun round.

If we're hunting for sport, being "damned good" is what it's all about - and failure to harvest game is inconsequential.

If we're hunting to survive, different rules apply - and success is more likely (especially if you can follow rule #1 - "have a gun"...which is mostly the point of a "single cartridge combo, IMO).

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I put an entire magazine ( 20 rnds ) into a standard combat man silohette ( #27 ? ) at 75 feet offhand with the FN5.7 Saturday.
then rested across my range bag and held them in a 4-5 " band across the same target, same range.

I can't imagine what a PS 90 can do.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

Bob

Dang it Bob, you have done it again. I am drooling all over the keyboard.

Is that SS laminate really a 41? Where ever did you find it?

I admit that I could never claim to be a "Real Pistol Guy" as I only own one. But I did, several years ago, receive some great advice from the Campfire Compadres. I still owe a debt of gratitude to Bob and some others who are no longer among us for their help in picking my first handgun, as shown below.

Yes, another pair of 41's.

[Linked Image]

I do love the Marlin 1894, as do my kids and Grandkids. I shoot either one of them with 210 gr bullets loaded over 6 gr of Universal at a reduced COAL for plinking or 23.4 gr of H110 for serious target practice.

My eight year old grandaughter is posing here to demonstrate that she had recently been shooting the SBH with no ill effect.

[Linked Image]

I wish I could wholeheartedly recommend the 1894, but as much as I love shooting it, I can not.

Mine spent most of its first two years in the gunshop. It took three tries by a VERY experienced and reputable gunsmith to make it run correctly. The 1894 has a reputation for feeding two at a time and jamming until certain retrofits are done. Mine worked for a couple hundred rounds before it completely failed the first time. After the first attempt to make it like factory new I got two mags full through it before it went back to the shop. The third time back, it was there for a while, but it has not failed me since.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Davidson's had Marlin do a run of SS/lam rifles many years ago. 357, then 41mag, then 44mag. Then years later 30/30 and 45/70. I scored the last three.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
One of those SS/laminates would sure look nice beside my SS SBH.

I will have to keep an eye out for one.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Hypothetically speaking: if you were able to have only ONE pistol and ONE rifle, and they both had to be chambered in the SAME caliber, what would you choose?

I get the interest, and the concept... but, if i'm carrying a rifle, i got no use for a handgun... if i'm carrying a handgun, it's because i'm somewhere that a rifle would be unhandy or out of place...

If i just gotta pick a pair to shoot the same ammo, they'll be .22 LRs...

but if i were limited to owning one rifle and one handgun of my choice, the rifle would be my remington 581 .22... make the handgun my 1911 .45...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Hypothetically speaking: if you were able to have only ONE pistol and ONE rifle, and they both had to be chambered in the SAME caliber, what would you choose?

I get the interest, and the concept... but, if i'm carrying a rifle, i got no use for a handgun... if i'm carrying a handgun, it's because i'm somewhere that a rifle would be unhandy or out of place...

If i just gotta pick a pair to shoot the same ammo, they'll be .22 LRs...

but if i were limited to owning one rifle and one handgun of my choice, the rifle would be my remington 581 .22... make the handgun my 1911 .45...

I get what you're saying, but you never need something till ya do. It's all in the context of the question I guess.

Both threads didn't really specify the circumstances of WHY you're only going to have two guns in the same caliber and HOW you're going to use them. I think that's why there's so many different responses. Besides just personal preference anyway.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.