Print Thread
Hop To
#6434231 04/23/12
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Can anyone give me some information on the breed? I really don't know much about them at all. I remember talking with a pretty gal a few years ago at the Home Depot I worked at, saying that her Airedale had pinned a coyote to the ground and was "playing" with it. I like the idea of that as I would like to use it as a coyote dog possibly, but my main use would be protection around the house for the Mrs. and step daughter when I am not home.

Can anyone please provide any experience or knowledge of the breed?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other than a hyper German Shepard, I don't think there is a better guard dog than a Dale.
There are two kinds in this country, big ones and little ones. Stay away from the show breeders as they tend to endorse the smaller lines that conform to breed standards. Chenk out some of the breeders that offer hunting lines as those dogs tend to be a little bigger and will suit your purposes better.
They tend to be territorial but they are also a very active dog that needs something to do (lots of exercise). It's important to start obiedence and socialization early because they can be very stubborn at times because they think they are smarter than you and often times they are.
[Linked Image]
I don't even bother to lock the doors at night.LOL

Last edited by manydogs; 04/23/12.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have a 8 month old Airedale. He is the 3rd airedale we have had. With out question one of the toughest dogs I have ever seen.
We have used them for as pets/ retrievers, they love to be loved and the center of attention. They swim very well, they don't get cold, they love children, I mean the absolutly love children every dale i have ever seen loves kids, any kid. But are very leery of Adults without there master being present. and like manydogs says, they are smart,sometimes too smart, but I do have to lock my doors, to keep him in, all my door knobs have teeth marks.
Once you learn and understand an airedale you will love the breed

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I love Airedales, but keep in mind that you are getting a big aggressive dog (sounds like what you want!) and they need some control--serious obedience training. They are essentially a giant terrier and the males can be very aggressive with other male dogs. That leads to fights, then humans try to break up the fight, then they get bitten, you can see where I'm headed. So if you get one, you need to be in control.

What I just said goes for lots of breeds. Owning a big powerful dog is just about like owning a firearm. You need to be REALLY responsible, 24/7.

And don't let your dog run coyotes, except to run them out of the yard. Dogs that run after coyotes out of control of their owners end up as coyote s--t; there is no such thing as one coyote and two or three coyotes are more than a match for ANY other dog. DON'T ask me how I know this.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mesa
They are essentially a giant terrier and the males can be very aggressive with other male dogs. That leads to fights, then humans try to break up the fight, then they get bitten, you can see where I'm headed. So if you get one, you need to be in control.

So true. However most of the males I've worked with will only try to show their dominance initially and rarely throw the first bite. But when the other dog tries to stand up to them and bites first, then it's game on and the dale will usually win. They have such a high tolerance for pain that they can usually out last anything.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Don"t know where you are in AZ but just FYI none of my Airedales handled the heat very well. The cold, yes,; one actually used to sleep outside on the cement walkway in 20 below temps (by choice). But if it got much over 60 he'd find a spot of shade and dig until he hit moist dirt. Then he'd curl up in there and wait until the temps dropped.
I filled in lots of holes smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I was raised by Airedales.
I have known/owned 8+, all males but one. They have pretty much been summed up above, although each is unique in some way. Having one with a hunting heritage would be best.
They were often run with hounds to handle things when the bear or lion took a stand.
They don't usually start a fight or lose one.
They are very protective of their household and family and great with kids. Usually very well tempered, but on a rare ocasion one is not and should be handled appropriately.
They have/can be trained to do about anything.
If you get a male, you will have to work at being the alpha, females not so much.
Large litters and long lived.
An Airdale will always have your back.
jmho
Tim
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just to clear up what a "coyote dog" is.

I assume you are talking about using a dog to get coyotes to chase it, the dog, back to you, within shooting distance. Correct?

This is great fun with a big running dog. I have a friend that does this with great success.

Best

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I love Airedales.

Was on the verge of getting an Airedale pup this spring but decided I wanted a more dedicated pointer/retriever. The protection part, for me, was important but I figured warning barks from my Schnauzer would be plenty. Lil' bastard ain't letting anything come around without barkin at it.

Everyone I've been around has been a combination of a pitbull, an alligator, and a clown all wrapped in a curly azz jacket.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We own a female, 3y.o. She is a great dog. She hunts with me,fur and feather. She loves kids, it seems that is one of their greatest attributes. Highly protective of home, her pack! They bark very little...not on chase, but on strike. Nor do they bark at wind or nonsense, but will bark to warn/protect should some one approach home. I have never seen a dog this physically tough. She can run all day it seems, real long-legged and fast as lightning. Lots of folks say they aren't too smart...they are damned smart but just won't do stupid stuff! Great teeth, like a land shark. She will track w/nose down and run at gallop. Just a great dog to enjoy.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Any of you boys have a breeder that you would recommend?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've tried on big game, bear and lion, without success.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Forgot to mention above but..
I had one male airedale that would not let the neighbor man beat on his wife and kids when he came home drunk. I also had one that I killed quite a few pheasants, rabbits and grouse with.

As noted above. They are smart. When some think they are stupid the reality is an airedale just don't care to do stupid stuff.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Any of you boys have a breeder that you would recommend?

http://www.hkairedales.com/ This is were the current Airedale sleeping on my feet came from, I love my dale, just got to break him from opening doors

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
They are smart. When some think they are stupid the reality is an airedale just don't care to do stupid stuff.
jmho
Tim

exactly an Airedale will not to stupid dog tricks, but turing door knobs and gate latches are an Airedale specialty wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rod Ross, Wyoming e-mail address rsrossrangeweb.net
phone# 307-737-2356

Airey Mountain Airedales- Clint Stubbe, http://www3.telus.net/airedales/

I got one in February and love him. Smart, easily trained. As others have mentioned, they are great character judges, and mine will not allow any fighting/rough housing, he gets between the two participants and voices his displeasure. He usually takes issue with the dominant of the two participants.

Should have added this to begin with http://traditionalairedale.proboards.com/index.cgi

Last edited by WVBlue; 05/08/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They are smart. When some think they are stupid the reality is an airedale just don't care to do stupid stuff.

I have to admit; they were so smart they wouldn't even put their nose in the track. smile

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.