Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have had it happen with a couple of Cooper M52s, I am going to try medium rings and see if that helps.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sounds like the location of the turrets and turret housing may be important

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gramps, I got my Featherweight in 30-06. The quality really amazed me. The absolute only thing I did before shooting it was adjust the trigger. Out of the box it released at approximately 3.75 pounds. Just using the weight of pull adjustment screw, I brought it down to approximately 2.75 pounds. I removed the barreled action to looks things over and every last square millimeter of the inletting had stock finish on it. Most other rifles I have bought during my life, I have at least had to finish sealing the stock under the barrel/action. I hope FN holds up this kind of quality in the long run.

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Gramps2
mlg,

This problem seems to be more acute in long action cartridges. In my case with .270 Win. If you don't mind, would you please tell me what is the scope set up on your rifle. The bases, ring height and type of scope you are using. I would appreciate the information.

Thank you,

G2

Gramps

Using 25mm Low Sako Optilok Ring Mounts (no bases) and the scope is a Conquest 2.5-8x33 (now discontinued).

Rgds

mlg

Last edited by mlg; 05/09/12.
G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Spot,

It will do both, it may eject, but leave a dent on the mouth of the case or on the bullet with a live round, or it will hit and leave a case or live round lying on the magazine follower or on top of other rounds in the magazine. It also leaves a deep ding where the case begins to slope down for the bottleneck. If you work the bolt at just the right speed you can see the round hit the left inside of the loading port, so mine is not just hitting the scope, the extractor is allowing the case to actually flip to the left before it comes back to hit the ejector. My scope set up is: Sako optilock bases, low optilock rings, Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40. There is almost a 1/2" inch between the bottom of the objective and the barrel. What I consider "faulty" is the fact that Beretta/Sako had to know that this would happen especially with long action guns, because of the position of the ejector. Beretta should have stated up front the following: BERETTA RECOMMENDES THAT ALL LONG ACTION MODEL 85 RIFLES BE FITTED WITH OPTILOCK BASES AND HIGH OPTILOCK RINGS TO INSURE PROPER EJECTION. If the consumer had been given that information up front, then I can see where "buyer be aware" would be appropriate. That was not the case however, and Beretta even put low rings in with the bases supplied. I can't tell you why some long action 85 owners have not experienced this problem and others have. The brand of scope must make some difference, and the height of ones rings has to factor in. Please don't think I am out to bash Sako rifles, as I own six. Three pre 75 models, a 75, the troubled 85, and a Sako .22. I consider Sako rifles to be very good overall, but I do think that they "screwed the pooch" with the positioning of the ejector in the 75 and 85.

Have a good day,
G2

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GaryVA
However, I'm still of the opinion that if you are not crowding the port and the round is ejecting straight out the top, then the extractor must not have a proper grasp of the fired case as it is being overpowered by the ejector. I could see a number of things that could weaken its hold on the case. Otherwise, the case should pop up high enough to clear the lip of the port and be flipped toward the extractor at its position on the bolt face. Keep us posted.

I believe this to be the issue. The extractor doesn't have enough strength to pop the case out of the action before it hits the scope. I had 85's in short and long actions, short was perfect, long not so much. Try having the spring in the extractor changed, as I think a stiffer one will help this problem.

IMO its still a design flaw though, and Sako is not alone. Coopers also had 3 lug bolts with the blade ejector and had similar issues, but they were smart enough to switch current production to a plunger ejector design.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 7mm-08 Nosler 48 used to hit the scope turret area too. Empty cases hit, then flipped facing backwardsown in the mag/port area......LOL. Extra low Talley UL to blame here. Lows where better!

Last edited by Melvin24; 05/09/12.

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't really see a problem. Either use taller mounts, flip your scope so the turret knob is on the left HS or hold your rifle angled down when ejecting .....LOL wink

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Should you have to make those concessions for using a rifle that costs that much money?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rj308
Should you have to make those concessions for using a rifle that costs that much money?

Yes you should.
I have had my fare share of rifles over the years...... As most here have.
With some of the $$$ units giving issues, & the cheaper ones not so much. But that also works in reverse too wink

I had dramas with my Sako 75 Stainless Hunter & the key concept lock. What a PITA system!
Had problems with Blaser R93 trigger, after hunting in the wet for 1 season......Too many rifles to mention LOL

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
OK. I'll rephrase that. You should NOT have to make those concessions for using a rifle that costs that much money! If you buy a rifle costing that much and have those issues, shame on the manufacturer. If you buy another one of those rifles costing that much and have those issues, shame on YOU! But if you like your rifles doing this, enjoy.

Last edited by rj308; 05/09/12.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I think this discussion is quite interesting....I have had 6 Sako�s in my lifetime and still have 4 and I have never had any ejection problems what so ever�.! I talked to a lot of guys at the range and they were all very surprised and nobody had ever heard of this Sako ejection problem and Sako is by far the most popular rifle around here. I thing the reason might be that �we� Europeans in general mount our scopes higher than Americans do and in general mount scopes with bigger lenses to that require higher mounts. Also the vast majority of Sako owners I know use Sako Optilock, Apel or Recknagel mounts that are higher than these American made aftermarket �extra� low mounts.

I don�t see the problem....just put higher rings on your Sako and the problem is solved !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rj308
OK. I'll rephrase that. You should NOT have to make those concessions for using a rifle that costs that much money! If you buy a rifle costing that much and have those issues, shame on the manufacturer. If you buy another one of those rifles costing that much and have those issues, shame on YOU! But if you like your rifles doing this, enjoy.

I know what you are saying.

I am onto my third Kimber ATM. First 2 were lemons........
This example(84L) has passed all the tests so far. But will it shoot smirk. hehehe range day in the next few days wink

If it doesn't I will never buy another!

PS- The same could be said about the NULA safety system. As I find it knotchy, & when comparing it to my Browning, Tikka & Kimber. It is not in the same league...... Meaning. Life is full of compromises.......... Other than that. It is classy!

Last edited by Melvin24; 05/09/12. Reason: typo

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spot,

It will do both, it may eject, but leave a dent on the mouth of the case or on the bullet with a live round, or it will hit and leave a case or live round lying on the magazine follower or on top of other rounds in the magazine. It also leaves a deep ding where the case begins to slope down for the bottleneck. If you work the bolt at just the right speed you can see the round hit the left inside of the loading port, so mine is not just hitting the scope, the extractor is allowing the case to actually flip to the left before it comes back to hit the ejector. My scope set up is: Sako optilock bases, low optilock rings, Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40. There is almost a 1/2" inch between the bottom of the objective and the barrel. What I consider "faulty" is the fact that Beretta/Sako had to know that this would happen especially with long action guns, because of the position of the ejector. Beretta should have stated up front the following: BERETTA RECOMMENDES THAT ALL LONG ACTION MODEL 85 RIFLES BE FITTED WITH OPTILOCK BASES AND HIGH OPTILOCK RINGS TO INSURE PROPER EJECTION. If the consumer had been given that information up front, then I can see where "buyer be aware" would be appropriate. That was not the case however, and Beretta even put low rings in with the bases supplied. I can't tell you why some long action 85 owners have not experienced this problem and others have. The brand of scope must make some difference, and the height of ones rings has to factor in. Please don't think I am out to bash Sako rifles, as I own six. Three pre 75 models, a 75, the troubled 85, and a Sako .22. I consider Sako rifles to be very good overall, but I do think that they "screwed the pooch" with the positioning of the ejector in the 75 and 85.

Have a good day,
G2

Mine is a long action, my scope is bulkier, and my Optilock Ringmounts are lower. The extractor on my rifle does not perform as you describe yours and mine feed near flawless. You'd be hard pressed finding any production rifle that feeds as slick and reliable. If your extractor is losing the ejected case prior to hitting the ejector, sounds like you have either faulty out of spec cases, and/or a faulty out of spec extractor. You may have solved your own problem.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gramps,

My 75 270Win does the same thing. I had never experienced it on the range, so it never crossed my mind. The first time I hunted with it I shot a nice buck at 270yds, he fell down, and tried to get back up. I quickly bolted and the damn thing was jammed!!! The empty fell back in the port and when the next round started fwd, I was in a pickle. I pulled the bolt back to the stop, flipped the rifle upside down and beat on the stock til the empty came out. The buck was done, but had he made tracks, I wouldn't have been able to make a follow up. That was the first time it happened and I had not heard about the issue on the web or from any friends, so I just chalked it up to a freak accident. I didn't use the rifle any more that season, switched to another. The following spring I played with the rifle a good bit and it ejected fine at the range and while in my loading room ejecting empties. I still just chalked it up to a freak accident. That fall I carried it to TX and the same thing happened again. I shot a 10pt chasing a doe, he fell down, and tried to get back up, so I bolted and the damn thing jammed again! That was it for me, it's been sitting in the safe ever since. Need to study it a bit closer to define the problem, but have far too many good rifles on hand to worry with it at this time. I would imagine it's probably hitting the scope as yours is. It wears a 4.5-14x40 VX3 in Talley rings. It's a shame a rifle of this class has these issues.

Looking fwd to seeing what they do to fix yours.

Have a good one,

loder

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Spot shooter, so Gramps is the only one you have heard "complaining" about Sako ejection problems? Really?

G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Reloader 7RM,

I am sorry to hear that you have the same problem. If you are lucky, you may be able to move your scope fore and aft and may be find a position where it will not hit your scope. I moved my scope and never found a position where it did not hit. I have my fingers crossed hopeing Beretta will find a miracle cure for mine, but I am not holding my breath. To be honest with you I really see no cure except a massive factory recall of long action rifles. The extractor needs a much stronger spring and the fixed ejector needs to be in the 8:00 to 9:00 position, which would require a new bolt with an ejector cut through the left locking lug. Since the 85 has three locking lugs, an ejector cut would not take away from the locking strength of the three lugs. If you look at a pre 75 Sako you will see that they were two lug guns with an ejector cut through the left lug, and fixed ejector at 9:00. As you have probably read, most short action 85 owners don't seem to be experiencing this issue. Puting the ejector at 6:00 on a rifle THAT YOU MUST USE A SCOPE ON then providing you with low Optilock rings to go on your Optilock bases is insuring failure to eject.(I am not going to higher rings) I know that all firearms are subject to some type of failure (usually at the most inopportune time), but I doubt this obvious flaw would have left the factory in Finnland before Beretta ownership of Sako. I will still look for older collectable Sako rifles, but I won't sink any more money in what they offer at this time. Take a good look at yours, and see what I am talking about. If you have an idea of what might solve this issue I would sure be happy to hear it.

Have a good afternoon Reloader,
G2

Last edited by Gramps2; 05/10/12.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Gramps
My problem with many of the older guns is they're HEAVY and the stocks feel like they were built for gorilla hands. Don't fit me well at all. If you get a good functioning 85 there's nothing better IMO. Not even customs.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Reloader 7RM,

I am sorry to hear that you have the same problem. If you are lucky, you may be able to move your scope fore and aft and may be find a position where it will not hit your scope. I moved my scope and never found a position where it did not hit. I have my fingers crossed hopeing Beretta will find a miracle cure for mine, but I am not holding my breath. To be honest with you I really see no cure except a massive factory recall of long action rifles. The extractor needs a much stronger spring and the fixed ejector needs to be in the 8:00 to 9:00 position, which would require a new bolt with an ejector cut through the left locking lug. Since the 85 has three locking lugs, an ejector cut would not take away from the locking strength of the three lugs. If you look at a pre 75 Sako you will see that they were two lug guns with an ejector cut through the left lug, and fixed ejector at 9:00. As you have probably read, most short action 85 owners don't seem to be experiencing this issue. Puting the ejector at 6:00 on a rifle THAT YOU MUST USE A SCOPE ON then providing you with low Optilock rings to go on your Optilock bases is insuring failure to eject.(I am not going to higher rings) I know that all firearms are subject to some type of failure (usually at the most inopportune time), but I doubt this obvious flaw would have left the factory in Finnland before Beretta ownership of Sako. I will still look for older collectable Sako rifles, but I won't sink any more money in what they offer at this time. Take a good look at yours, and see what I am talking about. If you have an idea of what might solve this issue I would sure be happy to hear it.

Have a good afternoon Reloader,
G2

Will do and I agree, this will be my last Sako. Too many other options to deal with this BS.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Horseman
If you get a good functioning 85 there's nothing better IMO. Not even customs.

Agreed.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,852 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,346
Posts18,468,775
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.