Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I have a PTR-91 GI Model (an H&K-91 clone). Any special instructions/recommendations for cleaning and lubing it?

[Linked Image]

ARIC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two great-looking guns there Hawk. No school like the old school.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a CETME, pretty much the same operating system. Be sure to get the flutes in the chamber clean, and get as much crap as p;ossible out of the inside of the receiver where the bolt carrier rides, then a few drops spread over the spring, a drop or two spread over the firing pin, and a drop for each locking roller and you're pretty much good to go. Some guys put a very light touch of grease on the locking piece where it hits the rollers.

Personal preference as far as the trigger group goes. I put a tiny touch of grease where the bolt resets the hammer, and on the sear surfaces as well.

Because of the carbon byproduct that is a part of the ejection system, run the rest of it pretty much dry.

Very nice rifle BTW, my uncle had one when I was a kid, it was my first "big boy" gun that I shot.

Last edited by 68injunhed; 04/25/12.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 68injunhed
I had a CETME, pretty much the same operating system. Be sure to get the flutes in the chamber clean, and get as much crap as p;ossible out of the inside of the receiver where the bolt carrier rides, then a few drops spread over the spring, a drop or two spread over the firing pin, and a drop for each locking roller and you're pretty much good to go. Some guys put a very light touch of grease on the locking piece where it hits the rollers.

Personal preference as far as the trigger group goes. I put a tiny touch of grease where the bolt resets the hammer, and on the sear surfaces as well.

Because of the carbon byproduct that is a part of the ejection system, run the rest of it pretty much dry.

Very nice rifle BTW, my uncle had one when I was a kid, it was my first "big boy" gun that I shot.
Thanks EE and injunhed.

I actually had an original H&K91 back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. I sure wish I hadn't sold it. Sold it just before the George H.W. Bush ban on their import, so right after I sold it the prices on them went up to two or three thousand dollars a pop.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have you shot this one yet? How's the kick?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The delayed blowback, roller locking style is the softest shooting .308 I've ever shot.

It doesn't defy physics, so the recoil energy is the same, but the pulse is spread out more because you have to unlock and accelerate that heavy bolt carrier assembly first.

Last edited by 68injunhed; 04/25/12.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Here's a tip for reassembly in the case that you don't know. Assuming you've disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the bolt assy, some have suggested you put the carrier in the receiver backwards to get the bolt head to extend so that the rollers can retract. If this is done frequently it can flare the end of the receiver and a stock won't go back on nicely. Instead, turn the bolt head 90 degrees (one way it comes off, so turn it the other way smile. Pull it out and turn it back to the original orientation.

How do you compare the PTR to the HK91? I had a 91 just before the Bush EO89 (which was not law, but...) and then three Springfield SAR3's afterwards. I've been shopping for another just this week.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Have you shot this one yet? How's the kick?
I will be shooting it this week. As yet, I've just been familiarizing myself with handling and field stripping. Today or tomorrow I'll give it its initial cleaning and lubing. I have to admit it doesn't handle nearly as nicely as the STG-58 Austrian FAL, but frequent handling has made it feel more natural than when I first picked it up.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kletzenklueffer
Here's a tip for reassembly in the case that you don't know. Assuming you've disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the bolt assy, some have suggested you put the carrier in the receiver backwards to get the bolt head to extend so that the rollers can retract. If this is done frequently it can flare the end of the receiver and a stock won't go back on nicely. Instead, turn the bolt head 90 degrees (one way it comes off, so turn it the other way smile. Pull it out and turn it back to the original orientation.

How do you compare the PTR to the HK91? I had a 91 just before the Bush EO89 (which was not law, but...) and then three Springfield SAR3's afterwards. I've been shopping for another just this week.

Thanks, I did that reversal install trick to get the rollers in the first two times I reassembled, but then I read the instruction more carefully and discovered how to assemble it so the rollers stay in and don't require being slammed in backwards first. I think that's the method you're referring to.

I think it compares well, so far, to the original H&K91. The only difference I see is the trigger assembly being a one piece plastic unit rather than stamped steel and plastic. Seems a high quality part, though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 68injunhed
The delayed blowback, roller locking style is the softest shooting .308 I've ever shot.

It doesn't defy physics, so the recoil energy is the same, but the pulse is spread out more because you have to unlock and accelerate that heavy bolt carrier assembly first.
Thanks.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My 91 and CETME are both the softest kicking 308's that I have shot to date. My STG-58 is sweeter to handle and points more quickly/naturally, but the 2 afore-mentioned rifles are more accurate than the FAL I have. My CETME was one of the early Special Weapons Stainless Steel receiver built weapons, and it was sweet right out of the box. It takes some training, but after a while, I got to where I actually prefer the HK over the FAL. I can dis-engage the safety with my thumb without releasing the grip, and I have become accustomed to the sights. It slings the brass a long way, dents it a bit too, and there is no last round hold open, so mt last 2 rounds are tracers.

I bought a boat load of nice magazines for $1.99 each, and for 5 bucks got 2 mags with a decent double mag belt pouch. If only the FAL mags were that cheap.

The PTR is well made, and it hits where it's pointed very nicely too.

I have wooden furniture on my FAL, and it's butt-ugly, but functional.It kicks twice as hard as the delayed roller actioned rifles do. They are all a good time at the range though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run the HK91 clones the same as an AR, wet. Once the inside of the receiver and bolt group are scrubbed clean, I coat the inside of receiver and everything but the bolt face with Mobile 1. Has worked well for years.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 86thecat
I run the HK91 clones the same as an AR, wet. Once the inside of the receiver and bolt group are scrubbed clean, I coat the inside of receiver and everything but the bolt face with Mobile 1. Has worked well for years.
Interesting. Thanks. Good info, folks.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I shot it yesterday afternoon for the first time. Sixty rounds (three different loads) fired, and three mags tested. Reliability was 100%. Trigger a bit spungy, but not bad for a military rifle. About like an AK-47. I ran it pretty wet.

Best groups were not particularly impressive at about 2.5" at 100 yards off the bench. That was with Federal white box (mil spec) 130 grain ball marked T762TNB1 7.62x51mm. The next best was with the Lake City (mil spec) 147 grain. Groups were just a little bigger with those (about 2.70" average). Worst groups (about 3.5" average) were with American Eagle 168 grain ball marked 7.62x51mm "For M1A Use." Looks like it prefers the lighter bullets.

A
A
From the moment your baby is born, there is nothing you will enjoy more than holding your baby close. Babies love to hear the sound of your heartbeat and feel your warmth.

ergo baby
infant insert sale
ergo petunia pickle bottom

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by aaronnobu
From the moment your baby is born, there is nothing you will enjoy more than holding your baby close. Babies love to hear the sound of your heartbeat and feel your warmth.

ergo baby
infant insert sale
ergo petunia pickle bottom
You sure you posted in the right thread?

Welcome to the Fire in any event.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.