Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks guys, I think I'll start looking at the sneaker/cross trainer type shoes, it makes a lot of sense when your going to be walking long distances. I was worried about sticky and pointy things in the bush.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Don't forget the gaiters! I spent way too much time picking stuff out of my sock tops.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Don--wouldn't it be easier to wear a non-insulated pair of 10" hunting boots? I hate having stuff scratching my ankles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't been yet, but think these Lowa would work great

http://lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=3105350411&Category=4&Type=M

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
That is essentially what all the trackers are wearing (although last year's model.)

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They have potentially fatal snakes. No joke. I wore Georgia 8" Lacer Velva G7013 boots bought at grand opening of Tractor Supply in August ME and was the envy of the continent. Still my favorite boots, shot a moose and 2 deer while wearing them. Made in #%@&%$^ China though.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker
Don--wouldn't it be easier to wear a non-insulated pair of 10" hunting boots? I hate having stuff scratching my ankles.

10" boots would be fine, but you still need to cover the tops of your socks.

donsm70

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jimone
They have potentially fatal snakes. No joke. I wore Georgia 8" Lacer Velva G7013 boots bought at grand opening of Tractor Supply in August ME and was the envy of the continent. Still my favorite boots, shot a moose and 2 deer while wearing them. Made in #%@&%$^ China though.

If the black mambas that we saw were "normal", the height of the boot didn't matter much. Those suckers are huge! eek

donsm70

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
In two trips to Africa, never wore gaiters, but then I wore long pants. I didn't/wouldn't huntin shorts. Your long pants will effectively cover your socks, with 6" or higher boots.

maddog

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Sorry for being a PITA, any suggestions on where to get the gaiters? Thanks. I'm also not very keen on snakes!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
NJelksmacker,

Where in RSA are you going, and when?

The odds of seing ANY snake during the typical South Africa hunting season are very low, because it's their winter. In fact I can't recall having ever seen any snake in RSA in a number of trips from late April to August, though anything's possible. If you do run into a black mamba, gaiters or even snake boots aren't like to do much good, as big one can easily raise its head to the height of a Land Cruiser's window, and even a small one can bite you on the thigh.

I've worn several different kinds of shoes/boots in Africa, depending on the area. My favorites if the terrain and vegetation are favorable are the ankle-height African shoe called veldschoen, with fairly thin rubber soles and one-layer leather. They're a lot cooler than any synthetic hiking or running shoe, especially when made of kudu leather, and very quiet. Some people who need arch support can't wear them, but I find them very comfortable. Unfortunately they're getting harder to find even over there, because of all the cheap Chinese hiking/running shoes, but they're good for at least 80% of typical safari terrain.

If the country is steeper and rockier I prefer unlined, leather bird-hunting boots. They turn thorns much better than any synthetic, and are also cooler. But even they are getting harder to find here, since everybody seems to think hunting boots HAVE to be lined with something, whether Gore-Tex or whatever.

On one safari in the Okavango Delta I took two pairs of Converse All-Star basketball shoes, the high-top model, on the advice of Craig Boddington. These were for wading the shallow lakes, and the two pairs were for switching them every day so one pair could be drying. They worked great, but you probably won't be doing any wading.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
JB sportin' the 'Chuck Taylors'. grin

He went over yonder way
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I'll be going the end of May into the beginning of June, I've talked to a bunch of PH's and they all say they hardly ever see snakes, I've read enough accounts from people who have hunted over there that have seen snakes to make me cautious. I'm going over there to hunt and enjoy myself, not worrying about being bit by a two stepper.

I've gotten a whole lot of recommendations on boots and I have enough time to check them all out, thank you. I'll let you know how I make out.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The wife & I hunted Limpopo Province in July of 2010; never saw a snake as it was to cool at the time (thankfully!). We both wore our Keen light weight hikers & long pants. Had gaiters but never had to use them. Our PH preferred the softer sole hikers as the typical "American" hunting boots are too loud to stalk quietly in for his taste.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
On all nine of my hunts in Tanzania I wore old Addidas racket ball shoes. They were quiet, comfortable, and easy to get the sand out of - just pull 'em off, turn upside down, put back on. Not "cool" boots but never let me dowm.

Terry

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I where Courtney when hot dry weather is expected and Vasque when wet and muddy condition exist.

As for snakes I ran across a Puff Adder in October in the Selous, and also one is SA Northern Provence in April. Both times really got my attention. eek

Jim
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I wear shorts the majority of the time when hunting Africa, finding them more comfortable whenever the PH's do. many of my American companions don't, some admittedly due to snake-phobia. They admit it makes no sense, but that's what they do!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have more fear finding a snake in the toilet than in the field. One night over cocktails the PH's enjoyed telling about all the snakes they come across in camp inside the toilets. Ruined my normal library time from then on. Sure adds an extra bit of attention to those late night nature calls

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,857 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,155
Posts18,465,109
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.