Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Checking the magazine for which side the top round is on, inserting and chambering then removing mag and feeling that the top round is on the opposite side.

It is to ensure that a round has in fact been chambered... Like a press check only different.

Thats what I do and I call it a press check.

ARIC

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RyanScott
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Checking the magazine for which side the top round is on, inserting and chambering then removing mag and feeling that the top round is on the opposite side.

It is to ensure that a round has in fact been chambered... Like a press check only different.

Thats what I do and I call it a press check.

Well, it ain't.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
so maybe I am wrong (not being a smart ass) I put the gun on safe, put the mag in, release the bolt while looking at the bolt and watch it chamber a shell. If it looks and sounds like it always does, I figure it will shoot. I have also pulled back on the charging handle and released the bolt slowly, again same sight, slightly different sound. I have not ever had to use a FA but all my carbines have them.

R
R20 Offline
R
I've got a 6.8spc AR-15 that was my first build. Built it mainly for a Hog/Deer Rifle. I built it without the forward assist because I didnt really see the use for one(also liked the way it looked). Used A les baer stripped upper for the build. That being said I've got one on my M&P 15, and my 300BLK. If I had the choice though. probably wouldnt have gotten them.

I guess in a combat situation it may be handy. But even when I've had jams I've never used it(no form of tactical training).

The forward assist on a rifle is a button found commonly on M16 and AR-15 styled rifles, usually located near the bolt closure, that when hit will push the bolt carrier forward, ensuring that the bolt is locked. In order to ensure that the extractor is clipped around the rim of the shell, the forward assist is usually struck rather than pushed. It is commonly incorporated into standard loading procedure to prepare a weapon for a life threatening situation, or to close the bolt when the weapon is excessively dirty. It can also be used to close a bolt that was gently let down, rather than released under full spring compression, to keep the noise of closing the bolt to a minimum.

The forward assist is generally not necessary as a standard procedure on any weapon with the exception of the British L85A1 version. Having realized the frequency with which the weapon jammed when taken outside of the clean environment of the test range, the forward assist was implemented to save the operator the potential danger of aiming the rifle and pulling the trigger and the rifle not going off because the bolt is not fully forward (a safety arrangement called a "safety sear" stopping the hammer from being released and the weapon firing, because of the dangers of firing with the bolt not fully closed). The design of the L85 makes the forward assist quite awkward as the left supporting arm must come off the hand grip and reach over the top to strike the bolt forward with the left edge of the left hand, much like a "karate chop". A redesign of the L85, known as the A2, alleviated this problem by reducing the number of locking lugs on the bolt and strengthening the recoil spring. However, the "forward-assist" is still often taught simply as a matter of course.

I guess what it comes down to is personal preference. Heck it's cheaper to have one than to order an upper made without the F/A.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (12344mag, 11point, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 79 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,863
Posts18,403,157
Members73,824
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.