Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The Gen 4 19 does not fit my hand as well, but I heard the M&P accuracy was in general not as good as the Glock. I also read that the Gen 4 Glock had extraction and ejection problems. Anyone got an opinion or tried them?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My opinion:

Get a Gen 3 Glock 19 and be done with it.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been researching the same as of late. Both are top-notch pistols that anyone would be proud to own.

A Glock 19 is never a wrong answer. It was the standard in medium-size pistols for many years. There are tons of accessories and parts available for it. However, the reports of ejection issues in Gen 4 19s are very real and widespread. Regardless, I would be very happy with a Glock 19 as my only handgun if I had to make that choice.

The M&P 9 is a more modern version of the G19 with much better ergonomics. It seems to really fit most poeple's hands quite well. It is also ultra-reliable, and every bit as accurate as the Glock (in my hand, more accurate than the G19). It is also backed by Smith & Wesson, one of the truly world-class companies in terms of customer service and support. I love the M&P, and will be getting a Shield version shortly for my wife to carry and for me to carry while backpacking and fly fishing. I would also be very happy (happier!) with a full-size M&P 9 as my only handgun. If it has the new Shield trigger (which S&W says will start production this month), it would be an easy choice for me over the G19.

The Walther PPQ is better than both. It has even better ergos than the M&P and a superior trigger to both. According to reviews and my own personal experience, it is easier to shoot well than either of the other two. It really has to be handled and fired to be believed. It is an outstanding pistol comparable to the HK P30 but priced like the Glock. It's the best value in a semi-auto 9mm on the planet, if you ask me, and is also backed by S&W. Do yourself a favor and rent one. It'll make you forget the other two in about 30 seconds. To put it simply, it is the new reference standard in striker-fired, polymer-framed 9mm pistols.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 05/09/12.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M&P and if you wait for the new version of the trigger with the crisper reset there would be no reason to go Pro. My son and I have the M&P Pro 9mm, mine a 5" and his the 4 1/4" and they are great poly pistols.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
new version with crisper reset is available when??

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
new version with crisper reset is available when??

It already is available in the Shield. S&W has stated that compact and full-size versions will start shipping with the new trigger sometime this month. And MOGC is right .... no need to go with the "Pro" model if the satandard version has the new trigger unless you want the different factory sights.

It is very sweet and, IMHO, makes the M&P's out-of-the-box trigger a clear #2 in this market segment. Very, very nice, but still a distant #2 to the PPQ trigger.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 05/09/12.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The pro I tried today seemed to be a very nice trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is a nice trigger! However, the new Shield trigger has an audible, tangible click in a fairly short reset that some find preferable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been making the transition from a Glock 22 to an M&P .40 FS.

If I could have a Glock 22 with an M&P grip I'd be in pistol nirvana.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer the Gen 2 & 3 G-19, the 4 just don't fit and I do not care for the ergonomics of the S&W plastic guns at all.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Gen 4 19 does not fit my hand as well, but I heard the M&P accuracy was in general not as good as the Glock. I also read that the Gen 4 Glock had extraction and ejection problems. Anyone got an opinion or tried them?

I have an M&PL that shot 9mm Match into 5in @ 25yd. After the barrel was recrowned with a Manson crowning tool it shot the same ammo into 2in, which is better than any Glock will ever do. My point is, if you are picky, you'd better be having a no-schit gunsmith build what you want and just write a check or be willing to tinker. The state of the US firearms industry sucks and blows. The tenifer in the end of that barrel was just wadded up, no QC is the problem

Off of my soapbox now. You could just find a Gen III G19 and send it to ROBAR or Lone Wolf for a grip reduction, it'll be sweet. If I could only have ONE handgun, it'd be a Glock 19.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some good suggestions so far.

I have both gen 3 and gen 4 glocks. I really, really like glocks. They just seem to fit me perfectly. The trigger reset, the low bore axis, the simplicity, durability - all of it.

I had some problems with the gen 4s when I first got them. Those problems have since been ironed out with the new ejector and springs. I prefer my gen 4s to my gen 3s based on grip texture and size. Everything else is the same. I would not hesitate to recommend a new gen 4 to anybody now.

I prefer glocks to M&Ps...but that might change. The big selling point for me was I really like the trigger on the glock and I could never warm up to the M&P trigger. That said, I just bought a shield a few weeks ago, and I love that trigger. It's great. I'm excited to try the next gen of M&P's with the same trigger reset.

Regarding the PPQ, it too is a sweet gun. The trigger is the best of the bunch. I owned one for a while. I shot it many times side by side with my glocks and tried to convince myself it was better, but in the end, the glock was better for me. The PPQ had much more noticeable muzzle rise, while the lower bore axis on the glock just holds it in place and makes doubles and triples a breeze.

Bottom line is that you've got to shoot them all side by side and see which one tickles your fancy. They're all top notch polymer wonders and all will serve you well for as long as you feel like shooting them.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Roger the low bore axis, that is a key point.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am in a personal SD class right now with 4 others shooting, 3 Glocks and 2 M&Ps.The guns are one 19,a 17 and my 23.The M&P's are 2 9 compacts.Three of these are stock guns,the 17 and my 23 are tuned with 3.5 triggers,good barrels and sights.One of the M&P's is right out of the box and don't think it had been fired before the class?It started running better after 100 rounds or so. We shot 200 rounds last week and today we will run 200 or more.All seem to be running well in the hands of the owners.The one female(M&P) shooting the 9C is very comfortable with it,but not the Glocks? She has a very small hands? One guy has a 19/Gen 4 he's bringing today and we will pass it around for a round or two.Interesting to see how this all works out....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
...I have an M&PL that shot 9mm Match into 5in @ 25yd. After the barrel was recrowned with a Manson crowning tool it shot the same ammo into 2in, which is better than any Glock will ever do. My point is, if you are picky, you'd better be having a no-schit gunsmith build what you want and just write a check or be willing to tinker. The state of the US firearms industry sucks and blows. The tenifer in the end of that barrel was just wadded up, no QC is the problem...

TAK.....good info, thanks. I have two M&P's that I sent to Bowie Tactical, a .45 and a 9. Both are uber-reliable, but I don't think that the 9 is as accurate as it could/should be (i.e. I easily outshoot it with 1911 .45's and a Glock 17). Do you mind sharing who did your re-crown? Is it necessary to send the entire gun or just the barrel? Thanks.
Greg

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

The Walther PPQ is better than both. It has even better ergos than the M&P and a superior trigger to both. According to reviews and my own personal experience, it is easier to shoot well than either of the other two. It really has to be handled and fired to be believed. It is an outstanding pistol comparable to the HK P30 but priced like the Glock. It's the best value in a semi-auto 9mm on the planet, if you ask me, and is also backed by S&W. Do yourself a favor and rent one. It'll make you forget the other two in about 30 seconds. To put it simply, it is the new reference standard in striker-fired, polymer-framed 9mm pistols.

reviews on the PPQ are great, but I personally didn't like the trigger as well as a glock. I shot both guns side by side, and while I can shoot both just as good if I have a few rounds to get aquainted with the PPQ, the PPQ has a longer trigger takeup and is a little harder to stage when I first pick up the gun. bottom line if I haven't shot either pistol in quite a while its going to be easier for me to shoot a glock better faster than the PPQ. that short takeup that glock has makes it easy to hit a wall and get a clean break off it. I prefer it to anything on the XD's or the M&P although the M&P's trigger is pretty close to glocks. however the PPQ is the best fitting pistol in my hand of any of the polymer types. its feels amazing in the hand, I also like the mag release and slide release. for me if the PPQ had the glock trigger in it, it would be the best pistol in the world.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I compared the SW MP Pro again today against the Gen 3 model 19, I concluded that the Gen 3 19 was more my style. I liked the positive and short reset on the trigger, it was also tad lower bore axis than the MP, the trigger was crisper as well. I would not like the Walther with its high bore axis, I am positive of this. So I am going to lose money and trade for the Gen 3 model 19 on Monday. Then a crimson trace laser grip and call it good. I hate that they have gone to so many MIM parts in the Glock but it fits me better.

You all will be interested to know that they had 2 GEN 4 FACTORY REFURBISHED GUNS sitting on the shelf! I asked my friend behind the counter and she said "yes its odd and we are getting a lot of them" The Refurb Gen 4s were $50 less than the gen 3's and the gen 4s came with 3 mags. I asked to see one of them and she said "no" just get the one your holding.

so there you have it folks...Gen 4 model 19 factory refurbs already available.....for some reason.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ran down to the LGS at lunch to fondle a few prospects. I had the G19, M&P 9 and M&P 9c on the counter at the same time. The guy helping me was clearly a Glock fan boy and said his CCW was a G19. After messing with those three for awhile, I asked him to take out the Walther PPQ. He did, and we were instantly joined by every other guy working the counter (about six). They all started talking about how the PPQ had become the range's most popular pistol and that how each of them shot it better than their every day CCW.

All of them had already bought one and most had bought two, noting that their wives and girlfriends found it so easy to shoot accurately. All agreed it's the great trigger, the way the gun so easily handles recoil and the stellar ergonomics that make it so easy to shoot.

The range rental has had several hundred rounds put through it every day for just over six weeks without a hiccup.....all types of ammo. They cleaned it for the first time yesterday.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
thanks, I hear you and they are nice, just not for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You all will be interested to know that they had 2 GEN 4 FACTORY REFURBISHED GUNS sitting on the shelf! I asked my friend behind the counter and she said "yes its odd and we are getting a lot of them" The Refurb Gen 4s were $50 less than the gen 3's and the gen 4s came with 3 mags. I asked to see one of them and she said "no" just get the one your holding.

so there you have it folks...Gen 4 model 19 factory refurbs already available.....for some reason.

Refurb Gen4's already?
Hmmm, that is odd.

Oh yes, I second the idea of the Gen3 G19. I love mine. Last handgun I would ever part with-though I have to say that I have NO experience with the M&Ps.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
99 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,684 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.