Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Opinions? Would love to hear from the guys that have used both scopes. How do these two compare?

Thanks
Jordan

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan, I can't help you with any experience on them (you knew that), but the guy that runs the site ballisticstudies.com is a huge believer (and dealer) in the Sightron stuff. He has some TREMENDOUS LR goat and pig shooting videos on youtube, and seems to think those Sightrons are the bee's knees.

They've got a bunch of internal adjustment too and some nice mildot reticles!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, the problem is that I'm torn between the two. The PST has a zero stop (not necessary but a nice feature) and is FFP, which makes using the MOA reticle easier. The Sightron has more internal elevation adjustment, supposedly has better optics, and more reliable tracking, but is SFP meaning that I can only use the reticle on 24x, doesn't have zero stop, etc.

If I had experience with both scopes, that would probably tip the scale one way or the other, but I'm pretty well stuck on the fence.

Although, the Sightron SIII scopes have been gaining a lot of ground in recent years in the competition community up here in Canada. They're getting to be quite popular, along with NF, S&B, March, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I can get the Sightron for about $1050, and the PST will cost me $935 for the SFP version, and $1140 for the FFP version...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FFP would be really handy, especially on those pesky wind-holds. That's almost a deciding factor in itself.

Seems like you can't really go wrong either way...

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I can get the Sightron for about $1050, and the PST will cost me $935 for the SFP version, and $1140 for the FFP version...

When the PST's were $850 they were a decent value. At $1140 I personally would look elsewhere. You can get illuminated mil/mil FFP Bushnell Elite Tactical for much less.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They're $1140 in Canada. I'm sure they're a couple few hundred bucks less down in the US...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
FFP would be really handy, especially on those pesky wind-holds. That's almost a deciding factor in itself.

Seems like you can't really go wrong either way...

Yeah, no kidding!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weaver makes a mil/mil FFP scope line that is in the same price category as the others you are considering. I've got a 3-15X50, but haven't shot that rifle yet. Just a thunk.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-Tactical-Rifle-Scopes-C1815.aspx

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pointer
Weaver makes a mil/mil FFP scope line that is in the same price category as the others you are considering. I've got a 3-15X50, but haven't shot that rifle yet. Just a thunk.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-Tactical-Rifle-Scopes-C1815.aspx

I've had both Viper PST and the Weaver Tacical and the Weaver has better glass. Reticle isn't as nice though.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have never had one of the Sightron's but did buy into the initial buzz for the Vortex. I have had 4 Vortex Vipers and thought the PST was going to be the cats meow. I waited about 3 months to get it and was hugely disappointed. Now bear in mind this is for me only and my experience before I start getting all the hate mail!

It wouldn't focus for my eye at all. Had tunnel vision and a distortion in the sight picture that neither eye focus nor parallax would fix. I turned around and sent it back. I've heard from some others that they had the same issue but it wasn't very common. Vortex stands behind their stuff in a fantastic way and maybe this isn't even an issue at all with today's scopes. I got mine a little over a year ago so that should give you a timeframe. Honestly, since then, I've gone to a Weaver for that long range target rifle.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Sightron SIII 6-24x50
[Linked Image]
Have not owned the Vortex.
Interesting features on the Vortex.
In general I like FFP and a zero stop for big game or target work.
For plinking and chucks I can live with the Sightron.
No problem.Depends on what your trying to do.
Sightron used to have a replacment policy.If the scope breaks you get a new one.Not sure if they still do that.Im thinking ...not.
The Sightron has excellant tracking the the clicks are spot on.I would call it a competent optic.
I rate them higher than loopie because of clicks and tracking
as the glass is a wash.
A Sightron is not alpha glass.Not at all.But it can and will get the job done.
Hard to beat for the money.
I think the best all around big scope per dollar
Is the Nightforce BR.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Dave,

This scope will be used for hunting, LR steel smacking, coyote and gopher shooting, etc. I appreciate the feedback on the Sightron. I did speak with a Canadian retailer who sells more Sightron than anything, and he mentioned that if the scope has a problem, it gets sent it to the repair facility, and then it gets either repaired or replaced. About the same as every other warranty that's worth its salt.

Keep the comments coming, fellas!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like my S-III's
Two 6-24's and one 8-32
I also have a Razor HD 5-20
For the money, I like the 6-24 S-III with the MOA Reticle.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use the Sightron SIII 3.5-10 models here in Alaska for big game.From personal experience,I can tell you these are tough ,the scopes hold their zero and their adjustments are spot on.I will be buying another next week,the 3.5-10x44 moa ret model or the 6-24 moa model.Until I step up into the stratosphere $$$ wise for a Zeiss Diavari or Henny,the Sightron SIII is hard to beat,JMHO.

Enlisted Men are Stupid, but Extremely Sly and Cunning, and bear Considerable Watching.

US Army Officers Manual of 1894
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Opinions? Would love to hear from the guys that have used both scopes. How do these two compare?

Thanks
Jordan

I looked thru a Viper back in Jan and was not impressed, I do love the view I get and the eye relief I get from my new SIII 8-32x56mm LRMOA scope, very impressed indeed! Id buy another in a heartbeat, and Im a dyed in the wool Burris user.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by gorskij; 05/31/12.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just curious, which model of Viper did you look through?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I have seen with Vortex scopes is some are better than others. I was comparing about 4 of the same model PST and I was split down the middle, 2 of them seemed to stand out from the other 2. Not sure why ,something to do with quality control, quality of lenses. I just got another PST 6-24x50 and the glass is excellent. I just can not like sightrons they feel really cheap to me, in terms of the contruction/ quality.I think Vortex brings alot to the table for the price.

1 and done
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just curious, which model of Viper did you look through?

It was the 4-16.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.