Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They were illegaly on his land. case closed

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

personally, I find it absurd that the government has put its citizens in the position of facing the choice of being overrun by the invaders or risking civil liability if they do the government's job for them.
Well said--you speak for all of us down here on the border! Come see us sometime, we would be honored to have you at Quemado Lake in July!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

personally, I find it absurd that the government has put its citizens in the position of facing the choice of being overrun by the invaders or risking civil liability if they do the government's job for them.
Well said--you speak for all of us down here on the border! Come see us sometime, we would be honored to have you at Quemado Lake in July!

I'll damned sure second that.

"Kidnapping",.....sure, something we've all embraced.

That old SOB Rob Krentz was the worst, in that regard

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
They were illegaly on his land. case closed

well, unfortunately not....and that is very old law going back to the spring gun and railroad turntable cases in the 1800s. just because someone is trespassing doesn't give the landowner the right to injure them with impunity. there is a reasonableness standard.....I can't booby trap my toolshed with a spring gun, because that's an unreasonable response.

that's why the facts....very specific detailed facts....which are usually hotly disputed, play such an important role in decision for juries and judges, and why it's hard to know what findings are behind some of these rulings.

but the border residents are being ratfucked by the government, and marginalized as racist by the MSM when they point it out, and I'm heartily sick of it. Romney can play this issue for a lot of votes if he does it carefully....border security is very popular, outside the Aztlan/reconquista fever swamps.

I would be happy to visit the border rats....thought I was headed down there when my son was looking at AU, but he got shortstopped in Austin and we never made it.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
And what can/will Romneys handlers do about $4.2 billion of IRS refunds to illegal aliens?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
And then there was this little faux paux, where Roger stepped on his dick.... Roger has a problem out there for sure, but his zeal will come back to bite him some time, Ron and his Dad showed extreme restraiant, he's lucky Ron didn't drop him at the first shout of "you [bleep]' meskins"
Will Gun-Toting Vigilante Get the Justice He Deserves?
Arizona rancher Roger Barnett became an anti-immigration icon by claiming to have detained 12,000 border-crossers. Then he terrorized a family of U.S. citizens.
April 30, 2007 | LIKE THIS ARTICLE ?
Join our mailing list:
Cochise County, Ariz. -- Crouching low, Ronald Morales and his 11-year-old daughter moved quietly and quickly, hoping to escape detection. Stealth was vital as they crept around the boulders and scrub brush that clutter the Sonora desert just north of the Mexican border.

It was Oct. 30, 2004. Morales, a 37-year-old Department of Defense employee, was deer hunting with his father, Arturo, and three little girls: his daughter, Vanese, who was then 11, her little sister Angelique, 9, and Emma English, a friend who was also 11. All were Mexican-Americans -- U.S. citizens since birth.

The way Ron Morales tells the story, around 4 p.m. he and his eldest daughter left the rest of the party at his truck to stalk a buck they had spotted.

Vanese had the deer in her crosshairs when the sound of a distant ruckus in the direction of the truck alarmed her father. Morales took the rifle, slung it over his shoulder, and they hurried back.

They arrived to find another truck parked near their own. Next to it, Morales says, an angry white man with a pistol strapped to his side paced back and forth, shouting obscenities. "You're [bleep] trespassing! You guys need to get the [bleep] out of here!"

"I have a hunter's permit, I have a map," Morales protested as he walked to his vehicle, set down his rifle, grabbed a Bureau of Land Management map, and tried to reason with the man.

Morales, a Navy veteran, says he addressed him as "sir" and asked his name. The man reached in the cab of his truck, yanked out an AR-15 assault rifle, and gave Morales his answer.

"My [bleep] name is Roger Barnett! If you don't get off my property, I'm gonna shoot you and shoot you and shoot you!"

Then, Morales says, Barnett chambered a round and pointed his weapon at Morales' chest.

The clash

Two years later, Ron Morales and Roger Barnett met again, two men sitting stoically at opposite ends of Judge James Conlogue's stark courtroom in Cochise County, which ends at the Mexican border in southeastern Arizona. Outside, November winds whipped the streets with impunity.

It was to be a momentous confrontation, probably the most dramatic yet seen between anti-immigration hard-liners and those who oppose them. Closely watched by reporters and other observers from near and far, the clash would unfold at ground zero of the increasingly virulent battle over illegal immigration.

More people trudge across this ruggedly beautiful part of Sonoran Desert, which stretches from Mexico north into Arizona, than any other section of the 2,000-mile-long border. It is here that Roger Barnett brought national attention to the immigration situation with his loud and public complaints about illegal migrants who trespass on his sprawling ranch. It is also here that Barnett, a man who boasts of having personally apprehended 12,000 border-crossers, effectively sired the entire citizen's border patrol movement -- a movement once characterized as "vigilante" by President Bush, a Texan intimately familiar with the borderlands.

A rancher since 1996, Barnett's a swaggering, silver-haired, ruddy-faced product of the desert sun whose militant reputation -- like the vigilante movement he inspired -- stretches far beyond Cochise County.

"Humans, the greatest prey on earth," Roger Barnett told a reporter from London's Independent in May of 2000, six months after he was photographed for Time magazine brandishing an M-16 -- and a full 16 months before Chris Simcox would leave his California kindergarten classroom to form the Arizona militia that would eventually become the Minutemen, now the best-known citizen group to carry weapons to the border in an effort to halt illegal immigration.

"A vigilante goes out, rounds up people, holds a trial and executes them. I haven't done that yet," Barnett told USA Today that same year. "But bloodshed could happen."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So were they trespassing or not? Just wondering.

Last edited by poboy; 05/12/12.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
BLM land(our land), leased to Barnett ranch...and why would it matter? If that was your elderly father, your daughter and her friend, and the rancher pulled up, started screaming obscenities,shaking and stuttering and blabbering and aiming an AR15 at you, threatening to shoot you and your whole gawd damned family, while cursing your heritage, does it really matter if it was private property?

Last edited by JefeMojado; 05/12/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by eyeball
And what can/will Romneys handlers do about $4.2 billion of IRS refunds to illegal aliens?

I guess that means they overpaid their US taxes by that much.....but it does sort of beg the question, doesn't it? if they know where to send the refund checks they know where to send ICE to pick them up, don't they?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Jefe- Thank you for your reply.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
BLM land(our land), leased to Barnett ranch...and why would it matter? If that was your elderly father, your daughter and her friend, and the rancher pulled up, started screaming obscenities,shaking and stuttering and blabbering and aiming an AR15 at you, threatening to shoot you and your whole gawd damned family, while cursing your heritage, does it really matter if it was private property?

Being private property makes a BIG difference - however - common courtesy seems to have been badly lacking!
It could, and should, have been handled differently, IF this is actually what happened! ( No one actually knows, except the participants )
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,991 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.