Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Like I mentioned earlier, I tried it and wet lubes are still better.

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have never tried wax or powder. I have a bottle of One Shot and used it once. I have been using the RCBS liquid on a pad for a long time with good results. I use an old cleaning mop or a bit of cloth on a wire to apply some to the inside of the neck. I tumble as the last step in case prep to get the remaining lube off the outside of the case and out of the neck.

I can easily tell when the lube application is getting to be too light by the way they feel in the die. I do not stick many cases and have not dented a shoulder from lube in decades.

I have loaded many Federal cases with no more problems than with most other brands.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Interesting to hear bad feedback on one shot. I've used it for years and many thousands of cases with nothing but great results.

RLTW
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Normally I have always used One shot and never had any issues. Until now I have always loaded for short action length brass. Tonight I got the stuck case out of the die and lubed the rest of the 270 brass with my RCBS lube and pad and all reloaded good. Then I sprayed about 100 rounds of 223 brass with One shot and sized them with no issues. Maybe I wasn't spraying enough on the whole length of the long action brass?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I pretty much only use one shot. I use it with an old school lube pad. Spray one side liberaly and roll. It has worked for many years and not 1 stuck case. I usally only apply the majority of the lube to the neck and shoulders of the brass.

Aside from that, I like redding imperial for neck sizing! Its just easier to use and a little tin will last forever!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too have used One-Shot for several years both on the case and inside the neck. The only time I have had a problem was when I didn't let it dry before sizing. A case still wet with it will stick and also dent shoulders. Use whatever works for you.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by herschel34
So, if you use Hornady One Shot per the instructions (i.e. spray at a 45 degree angle to get it inside the case neck), how do you remove the lube fom the inside of the case neck?

What happens if you don't remove it from te inside of the case neck?

I load a tray and spray from about 45 above the cases from 4 sides. Just a quick horizontal motion that I can see contacts the cases well. Let it dry for a minute or so. This motion also lubes the inside of the neck. Hornady says the lube will not contaminate powder or primers and I take their word on it. I size the cases and seat the bullets with the lube in the neck then wipe the cartridges. One other thing Hornady says to do when you first start using it is to disassenble your dies, clean thoroughly then lube the inside of the die with One Shot before sizing the cases. It can be amazing what kind of crap accumulates in a die.

As far as cleaning the necks inside I usually chuck a bore brush in a drill and run the case necks up and down on that to knock out any rough particulate before lubing and sizing. Of course I'm not loading for an upcoming all day match or prairie dog shoot. Having a little One Shot inside the neck has not affected anything so far as I can tell.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had good luck using One-Shot. The only case I've stuck so far was one .30-06 when I accidentally grabbed one that hadn't been lubed yet. Almost didn't get that sucker out either. Kept it right there above the bench to remind me to never do THAT again!

I haven't had any trouble with Federal brass but so far I haven't yet made it past one reload in any.

Last edited by Mr_Saw; 05/14/12. Reason: Address original post

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Try some Lee paste lube. Been using it for the last 15 years w/o a hitch. Use a q-tip to apply inside the necks. One tube last for many thousands of cases. It's really easy to clean off as well, a hand towel for the ouside and an oversize nylon brush to the neck and your done.

I only use One Shot for bedding jobs.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've used over 50 cans of one shot and have never had a single problem! Shake it and spray all 4sides. LET IT DRY and proceed . It is the best for applying lube to inside necks. Tumbling for 1/2 hr removes wax. . I use imperial wax when using small base dies. If you stuck a case with one shot YOU did something wrong !!! I load 136 different cartridges and about 10,000 a year.

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Bella1
I've used over 50 cans of one shot and have never had a single problem! Shake it and spray all 4sides. LET IT DRY and proceed . It is the best for applying lube to inside necks. Tumbling for 1/2 hr removes wax. . I use imperial wax when using small base dies. If you stuck a case with one shot YOU did something wrong !!! I load 136 different cartridges and about 10,000 a year.

+1 Lots of One shot used here with a lot of Federal Brass. No problems.

wsmnut

Wsmnut

Belief is often the death of reason.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by boomtube
"What are you using inside the necks?"

I often use nothing inside, no case is going to get stuck in sizer because of a lack of lube inside the necks. The common idea of cases stretching due to expander drag is a myth, the thin necks will easily expand to let a dry expander out before the thicker shoulder brass will give way.

When I DO lube inside necks - and I sometimes do - it's usually with a bit of graphite added to a plastic pill bottle with a half inch of #9 bird shot; push the mouth of the case into the shot and withdraw it, inside is dry lubed. But, graphite IS messy so I keep a bottle of Windex handy to dampen the paper towel for cleaning both my fingers and the outside of the necks.

I also have and sometimes use the inexpensive MidwayUSA neck lube kit with plastic bore brushes and white Motor Mica. It's clean, but mica isn't quite as good a lube as graphite. Still, mica is really good enough.

I've used mica before. I've since put carbide xpander buttons in most of my dies. No need for any lube.

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 05/23/12.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've used mica before. I've since put carbide xpander buttons in most of my dies. No need for any lube.

Not in my experience. Carbide buttons are better, but I still get smoother operation and less runout with wet lube in the necks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,887 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,479
Posts18,451,860
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.