Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here are some pictures of the unit to wet your appetite. I've used Arnold Aviation in Cascade a few times with great success.

Pungo
[Linked Image]

Mitchell Ranch
[Linked Image]

This is where they live. I found rams in the green timber almost at the top.
[Linked Image]

Rams
[Linked Image]

More Sheep
[Linked Image]

Good luck.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the second trip in, we flew and rafted. That was an adventure!! We didn't fly out a different airstrip, but floated to the take out at Corn Creek (I think that's where the Middle Fork joins the Main) above Shoup.

We found rams were the poster above did as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also drew bighorn for '12...20a in Idaho not too far from your unit...All I can say is wow.
I killed a billy last year in ID and wife did in '09 so we know tough country, but these rocky mountain bighorn units in central Idaho are a whole new meaning of challenge.

I've talked to two successful hunters from my unit and they said it was among the toughest things they've ever done. And their hunts were loooong. Two to three weeks at least to find the sheep.

Get in the best shape of your life, and then train even harder.

Also, I noticed you mentioned a mid October hunt...could mean heavy snow in there. Snow can happen anytime that high, but mid-October seems like tempting fate...I'll be hitting it opening day.
Goats---hunt later for the hair; sheep?--get in there and git'er done. Just my '02...

Good luck, be safe!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IIRC my pard shot his sheep on about the 30th day hunting for it. It was not all straight through, but he spent a lot of time and the one he shot was the first legal ram he spotted. The country is rough, but IMO the mental side of the hunt in that country may be even tougher. Here are some more pics from that country to keep you going... wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm pointing at the rams (7) that we spotted a long way away...
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hey Pointer, I recognize that last picture there:) What issue was that anyways? Ive been looking thru my old Eastmans and cannot find it. Thanks for the advice guys. I believe if I dont get a ram it wont be because I am out of shape. It will be because I either hurt myself over training or just not the right place at the right time. Ive spent a decent amount of time in sheep country and have photographed them from Montana to Oregon. This will be my longest "bush" hunt tho. Ive had my share of challenging hunts already, but this will be the best and biggest challenge I have gone into. I feal its a guys responsibility to know what he is getting into before he puts in for one of these tags. If not you are cheating other hunters that are prepared out of a tag they deserve more than you. Its not something you should do unless you are ready to at least give it every thing you have. From research to preseason effort, to effort during the hunt. It is a tag for the experience not for the success rate. I knew that. I am not in it for the prize but for the challenge. I ran cross country in high school, raced mountain bikes after that. Got into body building till I broke my back. They told me that I would never backpack again. Ive since packed numerous 300 class bulls out of some serious nastyness. None of which were mine. Just went along with buds to help. I look at my office wall now and I dont have a book animal to my name. I have a bunch of unimpressive horns. Three point buck here, a five point bull there. All of which mean something to me. Not to impress, just because of the different accomplishments along the way. This is just the next step in my hunting evolution. I will plan to leave nothing on the mountain. If everyone thaught of it that way hunting wouldnt be for everyone. Its that way for me. I tend to be less "successful" than most guys but only by the pile of horns in the garage or the horns on the wall. I dont care though. If I did I would get used to hunting from my office chair or spend alot more money than sweat. Right now I take the opportunities I can and do what I can with them.

Thanks for the pics and good words guys. I am getting pretty excited, and the tag hasnt even shown up in the mailbox yet!

Hey Good luck to you Broomed. I hope to hear a story from you when its all over. Remember central Idaho is a gamble of fate anytime. Early you may have fires. Late you may have snow. Try and figure out what the animals habbits are and prepare for the rest. Thats all you can do.

Added: That is funny. I just found the article. Ironicly it is titles "leave it all on the field". Eastmans april/may 2010. Good read for sure!

Thanks again

Jason

Last edited by strictlyRUM; 05/22/12.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I forgot about that picture being in the article. Not sure on the issue, I have a couple at home but nothing at hand.

Good luck! I think you are going in with a great mindset and know that if you tag out or not it will be an adventure you won't forget. Just to keep you interested, this was was the "path" we packed the sheep back to the river.
[Linked Image]

Scrambling over those rocks with a loaded pack was not much fun for this fat guy...but I'd go again if I could!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldn't worry too much about snow, Jason. Your tag ends 10/13. I've been in 27-1 twice in late October with snow. The ridge tops might get 6+ inches but river level will only get a dusting.

In fact, you should do an Indian dance and pray for snow. It'll push the game from the back country into the winter range along the river front.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Temperate + dry = mo betta.
Don't "snow dance" for my unit.
I've been blessed (and lucky) with many successful sheep hunts and 'ice on rocks' should never be a part of any of them...maybe it's just me, but FOR SHEEP HUNTING, especially at 8-9000'+, I'll take the warmer weather. Elk, deer, etc, I'll take the snow.

I hunt goats late in the season for hair, so snow and ice can't be avoided then.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Broomd has it exactly right. I guided sheep hunters in Alaska for many years and when the snow came in it plum got scary. I used to carry a pair of crampons and used them many times, maybe thats why I'm still around. A backpack full of boned meat changes your center of gravity a lot. Keep the "snow dance" for Christmas when the meat's on the table. hunting sheep in snow and ice makes a good story to tell friends about but it can take the fun out of it real quick!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These are affordable, light insurance if snow is a possibility in that type of country. Kinda like chains for your truck.

http://www.kahtoola.com/crampons_details.php

My pard above has worn out one pair (literally, Kahtoola asked to keep them when sent in for a strap repair) and won't be without them.

IC B3

J
J
jason--i drew a tag in 27-1 also. wondering what your plans are. i have narrowed the area down to some likely spots. get a hold of me--307-250-5083--jeff

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
17 days till I head out! Just wanted to bump this. I had to pull it up to look at the pics. Google earth is just about burned in my head. Thanks again guys. I hope to have a success story soon. I have seen alot of nice sheep getting taken this year. So far I know of one taken out of this unit this year.

Jason

Jeff I didnt even see your post until now. I hope you are already successful but I will try and call.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Keeping an eye on this one. Spent a good deal of time in there chasing muleys.
GOOD LUCK!

R
R
I just drew the same tag and have been saying the same thing, "holy crap!"

Hi everyone, new guy here. Trying to get all the info I can on 27-1. Hunt of a lifetime and I certainly want to be prepared. Anyone willing to part with their knowledge on the area?

Let me know. Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats.....I think. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RPoutside
I just drew the same tag and have been saying the same thing, "holy crap!"

Hi everyone, new guy here. Trying to get all the info I can on 27-1. Hunt of a lifetime and I certainly want to be prepared. Anyone willing to part with their knowledge on the area?

Let me know. Thanks

I posted some info earlier in the thread. The success rate for the unit has gotten better in the last few years. You should start your research by calling the Salmon office of IDF&G and asking the biologist for the kill site info for the past five years. Mark these on a map and start plotting your hunt from there.

Good luck!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The easiest way in is by skydiving. Then you can go downhill all the way out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Thanks for the chuckle! I've backpacked some of the areas up there, but never hunted. The old adage that "the work starts after you pull the trigger" is multiplied at least 10X in that country.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Congrats on the draw!

Did strictlyRUM ever check in as to the outcome of his hunt?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by NTG
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Thanks for the chuckle! I've backpacked some of the areas up there, but never hunted. The old adage that "the work starts after you pull the trigger" is multiplied at least 10X in that country.

Yep. I made the mistake of killing a buck 5 miles from the airstrip. My 5 mile return hike turned into 15 miles...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

401 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 16penny, 31 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,575
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.