Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#6512350 05/17/12
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I was in the "upper midwest" this week and once again as I met people I had never met before and told them in the course of conversation I lived in Atlanta and/or was born and raised in south Louisiana the comments started. It's like it's a script... "You don't have an accent?", always said with a perplexed look. I realize that is what they say and I realize that most probably mean it as some sort of compliment but after about the 10,000th time what I hear is "It must be some sort of evolutionary charitable fluke that you can formulate an intelligible sentence." Likewise with other comments in an ever so subtle way it's apparent far too many invariable still believe all southerners are knuckle dragging racist inbred illiterates (no offense to knuckle draggin racist inbred illiterates intended by the way). It's also invariable, that after questioning many that hold such derrogatory stereotypical opinions, that they in fact have never set foot south of the Mason Dixon and many have never left their home state.
All I'll say to the whole affair is... "Bless their hearts." wink

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
"Bless their hearts."

One of my favorites! I wonder if they'll ever figure out what is mean by it? whistle

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My favorite stereo type is Sony. laugh

Last edited by RS308MX; 05/17/12.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
"Bless their hearts."

One of my favorites! I wonder if they'll ever figure out what is mean by it? whistle

+ 1. I was born in WVA.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
half a minute into a conversation, and it's plain as day that I am from the Deep South laugh

Sam......

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hard to feel sympathetic actually. It's not like Southerners don't do more or less the same for those "damn yankees"

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Well bless your heart. grin

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EWY

Ernie

grin

John

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
So I was in the "upper midwest" this week and once again as I met people I had never met before and told them in the course of conversation I lived in Atlanta and/or was born and raised in south Louisiana the comments started. It's like it's a script... "You don't have an accent?", always said with a perplexed look. I realize that is what they say and I realize that most probably mean it as some sort of compliment but after about the 10,000th time what I hear is "It must be some sort of evolutionary charitable fluke that you can formulate an intelligible sentence." Likewise with other comments in an ever so subtle way it's apparent far too many invariable still believe all southerners are knuckle dragging racist inbred illiterates (no offense to knuckle draggin racist inbred illiterates intended by the way). It's also invariable, that after questioning many that hold such derrogatory stereotypical opinions, that they in fact have never set foot south of the Mason Dixon and many have never left their home state.
All I'll say to the whole affair is... "Bless their hearts." wink

I can't read most of that, you must type with an accent.

You must have interfaced your keyboard with your racist, inbred, callused, southern knuckles?

Is you that swamp gator feller from off'n the tee vee?

LMAO!! grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stereotypes are wrong. Texas really is better.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I drinks my coffee from one them new fangled stereo-fome cups....

But I never was much good for typing....

Stereotype, you fellers with yer big words.

Just cause I can't type in stereo (bofe hands and no peek'n) It aint mean I'm not a sasphyxticated man.

grin

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by EWY

Ernie
Why thanks. Right nice of you, Ernie.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD
Hard to feel sympathetic actually. It's not like Southerners don't do more or less the same for those "damn yankees"
The difference being this Southerner, and most I associate with, extend the courtesy of letting a person EARN the title of 'damn Yankee' before awarding it (granted, it may not take long for someone truly worthy of it). Seems the 'ignorant southern redneck' is a default assumption by many "not from 'round here" and worse yet "never been here".

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
half a minute into a conversation, and it's plain as day that I am from the Deep South laugh

You don't type with an accent.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Everyone knows that anyone living north of Indianapolis is a born azzhole, it's written in stone, someplace. That's the common belief here in Louisville, anyway.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Stereotypes exist for a reason. Witness Swamp people and Michael Waddell.

Just kidding of course. I was raised in Southern Maryland the folks from Pax River call us SMIBs Southern Maryland InBreds.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"Bless their hearts." wink

Shouldn't that be, "Bless their little ol' hearts."?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife's uncle was born and raised in Idaho. He worked for two years in Atlanta and came home with an accent that makes people think that he was from there.
That was over twenty years ago and he still talks funny.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great Grandma used to say "well bless your little pea pickin heart"....

She was from a different era though.....she still called some folks "darkies"....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It's also invariable, they in fact have never set foot south of the Mason Dixon......

Nor, can they likely even tell you where it is.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.