Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
The HK tool for adjusting elevation on the HK91 and other HK rifles/carbines goes for over $80.00. There are cheaper knockoffs, but even they are $50.00 and up. I discovered a YouTube that demonstrated a cheap and easy alternative. You just need to find a pair of needle nose type pliers with a really small tip (and I mean MUCH smaller than average). This generally means something designed specifically for either jewelers or electricians. It allows you to engage the two spring loaded locking plungers around the inner barrel. Then you can raise or lower the rear sight by turning it clockwise or counterclockwise. Works great. I have to wonder why HK made elevation adjustment so difficult on their rifles and carbines, though, considering its intended application being military. Maybe they didn't want ordinary grunts messing with them once their training officers supervised the sighting-in procedure at the range.

ARIC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Or just another case of whatever it costs is what it costs when it comes to government entities. Stuff that individuals just have to go without if it is too high is no problem for a government, just print more money or raise taxes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't looked at an HK91 recently, but Snap Ring pliers will frequently have small tips as described. There both internal and external ring-type-pliers, and some come with interchangeable tips to get the exact size needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-in-1-Snap...iers&hash=item4ab5094c50&vxp=mtr

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Haven't looked at an HK91 recently, but Snap Ring pliers will frequently have small tips as described. There both internal and external ring-type-pliers, and some come with interchangeable tips to get the exact size needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-in-1-Snap...iers&hash=item4ab5094c50&vxp=mtr
Yep. That was my thought, too, but I didn't realize that gripping those snap ring pliers opens them up instead of closing them. I bought a set and only found that out when I got it home. Ace Hardware was nice enough to give me a refund, but they didn't have anything suitable, so I went to Home Depot and found a small pair of electrician's needle nose pliers that had a sufficiently tiny tip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then you need internal snap ring pliers, which are designed to squeeze the ring smaller, to loosen it in its groove.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Then you need internal snap ring pliers, which are designed to squeeze the ring smaller, to loosen it in its groove.
OK, good to know. Problem solved by the electricians needle nose, though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The HK tool for adjusting elevation on the HK91 and other HK rifles/carbines goes for over $80.00. There are cheaper knockoffs, but even they are $50.00 and up. I discovered a YouTube that demonstrated a cheap and easy alternative. You just need to find a pair of needle nose type pliers with a really small tip (and I mean MUCH smaller than average). This generally means something designed specifically for either jewelers or electricians. It allows you to engage the two spring loaded locking plungers around the inner barrel. Then you can raise or lower the rear sight by turning it clockwise or counterclockwise. Works great. I have to wonder why HK made elevation adjustment so difficult on their rifles and carbines, though, considering its intended application being military. Maybe they didn't want ordinary grunts messing with them once their training officers supervised the sighting-in procedure at the range.

The mindset in Europe at the time the H&K was invented was that armorers should zero rifles, not soldiers. Most European soldiers at that time got very little marksmanship training, so the thought was that 9 out of 10 times the individual soldier would adjust his sights incorrectly, making his weapon less effective. Elevation adjustments are accomplished by the diopitor only. It has been that way in Europe for about a century. Elevation of a tangent sight only, but actual zeroing of a weapon was done at the depot level.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The mindset in Europe at the time the H&K was invented was that armorers should zero rifles, not soldiers. Most European soldiers at that time got very little marksmanship training, so the thought was that 9 out of 10 times the individual soldier would adjust his sights incorrectly, making his weapon less effective. Elevation adjustments are accomplished by the diopitor only. It has been that way in Europe for about a century. Elevation of a tangent sight only, but actual zeroing of a weapon was done at the depot level.
Interesting. That explains it.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Sell the HK and just roll with your custom cocobolo nunchucks.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
In case anyone's interested, I just discovered that the type of pliers you need are called "tweezer-nose" pliers. It would have saved me a good bit of looking around had I known that sooner.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.