Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My stepson is 13 and he wants me to take him deer hunting.He is small framed and recoil is an issue with him.I hunt in a county where centerfire rifles arent allowed.I want to get him a muzzleloader and thought a smokeless would be better for him because of the ease of keeping lt cleaned.I have never shot a smokeless and wonder if the recoil is any harder or is the same as blackpowder.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Recoil is usually lighter because of lighter powder charges. Smokeless rifles are quite expensive compared to regular muzzleloaders. Consider an inline that will shoot Blackhorn 209. It cleans up a lot easier than the usual stuff and no crud rings. You can put off cleaning for a day or so without any damage. It also generates more velocity per charge by volume. A CVA Wolf or Accura 2 or a TC Impact with BH 209 is worth looking at.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If money is not a concern, go smokeless. You can turn a CVA Apex or Encore into a nice smokeless rifle fairly reasonably.

The thing with smokeless is you can tailor a light load with many different powders. Not having to clean the thing as often is a plus as well.

If you just want something fast and less expensive go with the BH209 like the previous poster mentioned.

Don

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Are your CF guns shooting heavy bullets easy on recoil?

Muzzleloaders in general are not light on recoil unless you're shooting squirrel loads.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hi remrug77, smokeless would be a good route to take. Cleaning is easier, you achieve higher velocities, cheaper to shoot, and like mentioned the recoil can be easier on a person. Now don't get me wrong, you can really work up a load that will kick you like a mule if you want. You can convert a Encore, Apex, or NEF fairly easy and cheap with just having a 45-70 barrel converted or even going the custom barrel route. My gun kicks about like a .243 with a 200 grain bullet and I would say my load is about the middle of the road to what can be done with smokeless. You could develop a "youth" load that will be very easy with recoil but still achieve the same if not more velocity than what you can with blackpowder. If if is legal in your state I say it is your best option if you are open to it and don't consider it to ruin the spirit of muzzleloading like some.

IC B2

T
T

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Are your CF guns shooting heavy bullets easy on recoil?

Muzzleloaders in general are not light on recoil unless you're shooting squirrel loads.

Barnes .40cal Expander 195gr in a Harvester Light Blue Sabot out of a .45 bore. You can make it rattle your teeth, or be as gentle as a .243 just depends on how fast you want to go and how far you want to shoot.

I can tell you one thing, deer don't like them slow or fast.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Like I said. Squirrel load. smile

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 05/21/12.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Some are running that load through elk. Awful big squirrel.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Do you have a smokeless muzzleloader? I'll answer that for you, NO. You just like to post in threads you know nothing about to get your post count up. So a squirrel load to you is a 195 Barnes moving 2500fps? That's a mild recoiling load. Keep posting. Gives me something to laugh about.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by omega45

Do you have a smokeless muzzleloader? I'll answer that for you, NO. You just like to post in threads you know nothing about to get your post count up. So a squirrel load to you is a 195 Barnes moving 2500fps? That's a mild recoiling load. Keep posting. Gives me something to laugh about.

Humor was the point of my post stupid, but everything goes over your head. So, no surprise.

Maybe if you stop following me around like a little puppy you won't come off as an idiot all the time.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Your halarious. Keep going maybe you can break 2000 posts soon.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's it? Post count? Maybe if you had something worthwhile to say. You'd have more posts too.

On second thought. After reading your posts. A low post count is good.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Be sure to let everyone know how good your Wolf shoots after Jon sights it in for you. Later Muley.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jon has never seen my Wolf. More of your lies dimwit.

I was sighting in guns before Jon was born. Way before it. Way before you were born too.

However, if it makes you feel big to make up stuff. So be it. Don't expect me to take it like I did on Jon's forum. I let you get away with way too much out of respect for Jon.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
These groups were shot my me, myself and I at 100yds with my 700ML .45 Pacnor. All are mild smokeless loads.

195gr Barnes MZ
[Linked Image]

Barnes 155gr TAC, 5 shots
[Linked Image]

Sabotless Barnes 250 TEZ's, 5 shots.
[Linked Image]

Loads used in these groups recoil less then 110gr BH209 and are running between 2400-2500fps.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Your name calling gets you nowhere. Just shows the real you. Bye Muley

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You don't seem to have a grasp of what a smiley means. It means someone is not serious.

Someone told me you shot those targets at 25 yds. See how worthless pictures are.

If you're going to continually say goodbye to me. Why don't you stop posting to me? I really have no interest in talking to a liar like you.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
25yds is maybe the distance you shot the tree with a PRB to scare off a frisky bear. My range is not even set up to shoot 25yds. Like I said before your halarious. Keep thinking of ways to discredit me. It ain't working.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I thought you said goodbye?

Keep in mind. You came to this thread to do nothing but rag on me. If you don't like the insults. Don't piss in my direction.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,279 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.