Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
We have a Rockwood travel trailer and it has a hose with a quick connect on the side of the trailer (for a grill that came with the TT, but we only use wood/charcoal for grilling). I would like to be able to connect a small 2 burner stove to it to use for outdoor cooking (especially for cooking breakfast in the mornings rather than being stuck inside the camper). I know I could use the 1lb cylinders, but heck we have two 30lb tanks on the TT so it'd be nice to use those. The small stoves I've seen that use the 1lb cylinders have a small regulator - it appears that I just forego that regulator and hook the stove directly to the trailer.

Anyone done this? Any idea on what fittings would be needed and where to find 'em?

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Check Coleman's website. They used to sell all the parts.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You can get the proper regulators at an RV store.

IIRC, most RVs are something like either 10, 18, or 20 PSI regulated at the bottle for the internal system (i.e. any heaters or inside stoves - the main regulator steps down from bottle pressure to one of those PSI numbers depending on size of camper, manufacturer, number of appliances, etc.)

You will need to find out what your stove takes as far as inlet pressure and step down to the appropriate amount.

Most gas grill regulators come from bottle pressure (@ 250psi) to about 7-11" water column (roughly 1.7-2.5 psi).

Last edited by burner; 05/21/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What burner said! I had a 1 lb bottle fitting fail on a Brunton stove last year. Hose connection was proprietary. I had our local propane place install an adjustable regulator on mine.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As an additional point, bottle pressure in the small regulators is basically the same as bottle pressure in a larger cylinder.

The reason for the small regulators seems to be convenience and the fact that they often have the special fitting that the 1-lb bottles thread into.

I have added that threaded fitting to a regular grill regulator and used it with great success.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If your 2 burner stove has a regulator for a 1# bottle, just get the bulk tank adaptor. If you need a regulator for it as well, get a hose with adaptor attached

[Linked Image]
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by burner

IIRC, most RVs are something like either 10, 18, or 20 PSI regulated at the bottle for the internal system (i.e. any heaters or inside stoves - the main regulator steps down from bottle pressure to one of those PSI numbers depending on size of camper, manufacturer, number of appliances, etc.)

You will need to find out what your stove takes as far as inlet pressure and step down to the appropriate amount.

Most gas grill regulators come from bottle pressure (@ 250psi) to about 7-11" water column (roughly 1.7-2.5 psi).

Thanks for the info! I'll do a little more digging as I thought the regulator at the tanks was dropping it down to final pressure (under 1psi as you mentioned), that's why I thought I could go direct from the quick connect hose to the stove with no additional regulator. Note, 27.7" water column = 1psi. So does each appliance then have it's own regulator to drop down to final pressure?

I found a little info on some RV'ing sites that have mentioned doing what I'm thinking, but they talked about getting the fittings made at a propane "store" and they did not use an additional regulator.

Originally Posted by M99ER
If your 2 burner stove has a regulator for a 1# bottle, just get the bulk tank adaptor...

I don't really want to come directly off the tanks as I already have a hose with a quick connect fitting on the side of the trailer that is run from the tanks, but I may have to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're beating this thing to death, Man.

Listen to what Burner just told ya'.

He knows his chit.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't tell you where to get one, because I've had mine for too many years, but mine is an adapter made expressly for my Coleman 2-burner; has the same long tube as the white-gas tank, w/ several feet of hose attached to the regulator. Have a 3-lb aluminum propane bottle, for camping out of my PU, but the adapter works on all tanks.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TXRam

Thanks for the info! I'll do a little more digging as I thought the regulator at the tanks was dropping it down to final pressure (under 1psi as you mentioned), that's why I thought I could go direct from the quick connect hose to the stove with no additional regulator. Note, 27.7" water column = 1psi. So does each appliance then have it's own regulator to drop down to final pressure?

I found a little info on some RV'ing sites that have mentioned doing what I'm thinking, but they talked about getting the fittings made at a propane "store" and they did not use an additional regulator.

When I was working with RVs, one of the issues was that the fixed stoves, etc., were made to operate on higher pressures, because unlike a grill, where you might have maybe a foot of rubber hose between the regulator and the burner, you might have 15-20 feet of tubing between the gas bottles, etc.

So the stove inside of an RV will generally need a higher pressure supply than just "grill regulator pressure."

What I would do in your case is get a dual regulator set-up with a "T" where one regulator continues to feed the inside appliances as normal, but there is a switch or second fitting so that you can use a grill regulator as well, outside of the camper, to use your Coleman stove.

Keep in mind that Coleman back in their heyday in the RV world did lots of dicky things to make their product harder to use universally, so you may need to find an adapter or different thread style for your Coleman outdoor grill to hook it up properly. IIRC the ones we had left over at the RV store took a different threaded fitting.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

He knows his chit.

GTC

Thanks man! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

7-11 inches W.C,

7"x.036 =.252, about a 1/4 lb. psi.
11" x.036=.396

Are we on the same page here?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TXRam, take a look at this site and see if they might have what you need. I searched for over a year for a specific hose that would connect to my 2 burner Brunton camp stove that I use in my enclosed trailer.

I needed a hose with a male quick disconnect on one end and a propane bottle connector on the other and found it on this site. Good luck.

https://caloreequipment.com/products/cl/

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

He knows his chit.

GTC

I agree. burner has helped me out on RV stuff in the not too distant past.

Thanks again for that Derek!

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oldie �

Flier in mid-air, falling fast beneath a flopping parachute, meets a man going up.

"Do you know how to make a parachute open?"

"No. Do you know how to light a gas stove?"

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They have everyhting you need at Academy to do what you want to do.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Kenneth

7-11 inches W.C,

7"x.036 =.252, about a 1/4 lb. psi.
11" x.036=.396

Are we on the same page here?

My fault for using an online WC-PSI conversion table.

Sorry about that. I needed the answer in a hurry, didn't have it off the top of my head.

My point was to demonstrate to him the drastic difference between a "whole RV regulator" like the high-pressure output ones we sold at the RV dealer, from the average grill regulator.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No problem!

Now if I could just remember how to convert PSI to " WC without googling. wink

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
OK, coleman stoves (don't know about grills) operate at 15psi per coleman. So, if my camper's propane supply is about that (sounds like it should be per burner's post above), I should be able to run it straight off the trailer's supply without adding another line, regulator, etc.

Keep in mind that Coleman back in their heyday in the RV world did lots of dicky things to make their product harder to use universally, so you may need to find an adapter or different thread style for your Coleman outdoor grill to hook it up properly. IIRC the ones we had left over at the RV store took a different threaded fitting.

Thanks again! This (the fitting(s)) was what I was trying to ask in my initial post - sorry if it wasn't clear.

For the others, I know I can get a coleman adaptor to come straight off of the large tank at high pressure, but this is not what I'm trying to accomplish. My camper already has a propane hose with a quick connect fitting on the side of the trailer - just need the fitting(s) for the coleman stove to connect to a hose from that quick connect - cleaner/easier connection. The fitting to connect directly to the stove is not available at Camping World, Academy or my local RV place - off to check with a propane supply house next, surely we can make something work.

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
No problem!

Now if I could just remember how to convert PSI to " WC without googling. wink

Just remember - 27.7"WC = 1psi.

Also, just another tidbit of info that alot of other folks probably are not aware of - the pressure in a propane tank varies GREATLY due to ambient temps - at 0F, it's only ~25psig and at 100F it's up to ~180psig!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,620
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.