Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How well do you like your bullets to kill exactly?

Defend the Constitution
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John,

I am disappointed in you that you have lost the argument about common sense and and used insults and name calling.

That proves that you have lost.

You wrote:

Most of the time they will kill deer-sized game very well, especially in larger diameters like 7mm and .30.

The above quote from you means to me that you, like myself, have found that larger bullets going as fast or faster kill game better than small bullets.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Savage_99
John,

I am disappointed in you that you have lost the argument about common sense and and used insults and name calling.

That proves that you have lost.

You wrote:

Most of the time they will kill deer-sized game very well, especially in larger diameters like 7mm and .30.

The above quote from you means to me that you, like myself, have found that larger bullets going as fast or faster kill game better than small bullets.

You have lost your mind for sure -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
rather than mince words you would do well to read Simpson's article.

generally do not read his stuff but did this one and was a bit surprised, but I imagine guys who kill game with them already know that...

Defend the Constitution
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Genius...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me? I'm going to the range to try some new loads with this .257 to see how the rifle shoots with a free floated barrel and a trigger adjusted down to two pounds.

[Necked down 7mm Mausers and necked up 250-3000s are still fun rifle to shoot and no deer have ever complained about my shooting no how. wink (I wonder how 140 grain Hornady MonoFlex bullets designed for 30-30s or 303 Savage lever guns will shoot out of a 300 Savage?)]

Thanks for the input JB. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're evidently what Dean Wormer might have called s double-secret nitwit--except you didn't keep it a secret.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You're evidently what Dean Wormer might have called s double-secret nitwit--except you didn't keep it a secret.

laugh laugh

Good one, John.

The Layne Simpson article, titled, "493 Dead Deer, Which Calibers and Bullets are the Best?" starts on page 64, Petersen Publications' Hunting Magazine, Oct, 2011.

I don't have a link, but I saved the magazine. I'm offering to send photocopies of this article to whomever wants one. Just send me a PM.

DF

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Now don't go bringing evidence and common sense into this... Or Sav99'll have to repeat his stupidity over again!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Damn John, coffee everywhere! Laffin here. laugh Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by efw
Now don't go bringing evidence and common sense into this... Or Sav99'll have to repeat his stupidity over again!

If he, like most of us, is looking for information and likes that info based on facts, this article is a nicely done piece with some data, not conclusive evidence, but at least a fairly educated opinion on the best Whitetail rounds and bullets based on one man's documented observations and experience.

If he's just stirring crap, as is all too often the case on the Fire, then he needs to get an even bigger boat paddle and stir away... shocked

But, too much of that kinda activity and one's credibility goes the way of Larry Root and Swampy. I don't think Sav99 wants to be mentioned in that vein or added to that list... frown

DF

edited to add "bigger" to boat paddle. Had left it out.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/01/12.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think if I'm able to get to camp this year I'm really going to handicap myself. I'll use my Remington 700 Classic in 250 Savage and Leupold M8 6x36. Maybe I'll back off the usual 100 grain bullets and use the 87 grain Speer Hot Cor.

Anybody think I'm worried? grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
I think if I'm able to get to camp this year I'm really going to handicap myself. I'll use my Remington 700 Classic in 250 Savage and Leupold M8 6x36. Maybe I'll back off the usual 100 grain bullets and use the 87 grain Speer Hot Cor.

Anybody think I'm worried? grin

Better take your skinning knives... laugh

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. I never am with that bullet.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have two .257 Bobs. The first is a Ruger #1B I found at a gun show. (Mule Deer is absolutely right. That damn thing is way too heavy.) The gun came with 5 boxes of 100 gr. Norma ammo and as the price was right, I bought it. Nice Leupold 3x9 on it and the guy said it was sighted in. I took it to the range a slow fired 5 rounds. It was a bit over 100 degrees that day so I really did take my time shooting the rifle. You could cover all 5 shots with a nickle. I'm hoarding hat ammo for that rifle.
The second rifle was an NIB Winchester M70 Featherweight. I got it more or less because it would match my 7x57 Featherweight. Been way too busy to do much witht hat rifle but have worked up two loads so far, one with the 100 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter anf the other with the 100 gr. Barnes TSX. I'll have to play with seating depth I guess as both loads only do 1.25" at 100 yards. My wife appropriated my M70 in .243 that was made in 1969 according to the sn#. She handled the .257 and I'm afraid if she shoots it I'm gonna lose that one as well. I have been seriously thinking of using it if I draw a deer tag this year but based on past results, I'm not holding my breath.

Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Im suprised Ruger never chambered the M77V in 257 Roberts.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The only .257 Roberts I have is built on a WWII Mauser 98 action. I has served me very well hunting in South carolina. Always seems to deliver 1 shot kills when I use the 100gr Triple Shock!!

[Linked Image]

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
So far, only one request for the Layne Simpson article. I'll be happy to send out more, just send me a PM.

BTW, the outfitter was Howard Simmons from SC and the data covers a 20 year span.

One correction. I stated that in the .25 cal. category, the .257R was a major player. When I re-read the article, the breakdown of .25 caliber rounds wasn't specified. The .257R was included, but I can't say to what percent among .25's. I was writing from memory, so wanted to correct any perception that wan't actually specified in the article.

Another point from the article, soft bullets performed better on Whitetails than harder, premium bullets. Deer hit with soft bullets traveled an av. of 26.9 yds, those hit with hard bullets traveled an av. of 43.5 yds. Hard bullets have their place. For Whitetail hunting, they may not be the best choice.

DF

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I agree. I have that article... a buddy of mine who is not, despite my best efforts, a loonie called me after he read it wanting to know what it'd run to get a 257 Roberts built. He has a nicely sporterized BRNO in 8x57 so we went through the steps/cost and he decided to keep to a factory rifle, but didn't go there when I told him about the cost of new Rugers, etc.

He is close though...

I teased him with a run down on my 9 yo son's $195 Bob that I'm in the process of building "campfire style" through classifieds and he got rather riled up... getting closer... I teased him that while Samuel and I were in camp enjoying fire roasted Bob-shot tenderloins he'd be chasing his 8mm-shot buck all over the country smile ...

Great article indeed and empirical data galore. I'm certain Sav99 won't care to have it cuz it doesn't support his position and my observation of him in multiple threads like this (and the reason I now have him on ignore) is that he doesn't care for facts one bit... if they don't support his conclusions, that is.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Been using one off/on now for about 10 years. Works great for deer/antelope.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.