Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by jwall
I'm OUT.....undestand, it doesn't MATTER to me.

You do know more is often times just more right?

Let's say you're towing your 3000 pound boat with a Dodge Ram with a Cummins and Don says to use a Peterbilt, would that mean the Dodge was minimal?

It DOES NOT MATTER to me .....but I'd take the Peterbilt grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of all the rifles that I've owned in 257 Roberts, I think that the Remington 700 MR is about as perfect a match of rifle and cartridge as you'll find in a standard production factory specs rifle. I also like the Roberts in the 700 CDL-SF, but it fits me better with a McM McMillan Hunter handle in place of the factory wood.

Jeff

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, but the idiot has me on ignore and quoting me is the only way Don can see what I post. Blow me Don.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yeah, but the idiot has me on ignore and quoting me is the only way Don can see what I post. Blow me Don.

Ooohh, I feel so USED...dog. grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Well, I guess the score will be settled this fall- today I bought a NIB, Ruger #1 Light Sporter, Lipsey's edition, in .257 Roberts! I'm a big fan of #1's, although I only own 2 at the moment.
No pics yet, probably won't get delivery for another week or so, but I'm pumped!

Congrats on the new #1 cool Classy rifle with a classy cartridge...... this from an actual owner and user of the bob'.

Pi$$'n matches and all other pointless BS aside, I really doubt you will be let down with your choice.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Both Eileen and I hae used .25's from the .250 Savage to the .257 Weatherby on a bunch of game. They all kill real well if the bullet goes in the right place.

Funny how that works...some don't get it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Tang safety model 77 hereand use to have a 700 classic. I love mine. Deer don't seem too taken with it though all the deer I've shot with a roberts have been pretty much DRT.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Apparently, the latitude at which a cartridge is used has more to do with it's effectiveness than bore size, case capacity, or any other ballistic detail. That's the only explanation I can think of for why Alaskan's are able to kill large bear, moose and caribou with 223s and 243s, but as you go south in the lower 48, bigger and bigger cartridges are needed for 100 pound whitetail deer.
I am constantly amazed at the eternal hand wringing over selecting a cartridge to kill a deer or an elk. There are decades of hundreds of thousands of examples to show what doesn't work and what does work. There are dam few that don't work, given intelligent bullet selection and proper bullet placement, and dam few that will work absent either or.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
some of us are slow learners?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or somehow feel reassured by a positive Internet vote....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just love these discussions about what it takes to kill a deer sized animal. With some claiming the 257R is minimal and others saying it's just perfect. After I had killed a couple good bucks I thought knew absolutely everything on the subject. I could and would offer opinions about the perfect deer rifle and round. That was a long time ago. I don't know exactly how many deer sized animals I've killed in the last 50 years, but it would be in the hundreds. One thing I learned is that it hard to tell or see any difference in killing power(what ever that is) between a 243 and a 7RM. given similar shot placement on a deer. Sometimes actual,but limited experience, confuses the issue . Once on hunt in California a companion shot a deer just above the knee, the animal ran a few yards and lay down and let the hunter walk up and finish him off. On the same hunt another companion shot a deer several times with a 308 before killing it. Based on this first hand experience it might seem that the .243 is a hell of a deer round, just hit one anywhere and it'll go down, but The .308 really sucks. All I know for sure is if you put a good bullet at a reasonable velocity through the heart/lung area a deer/antelope etc., the animal is not long for this world.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by super T
I just love these discussions about what it takes to kill a deer sized animal. With some claiming the 257R is minimal and others saying it's just perfect. After I had killed a couple good bucks I thought knew absolutely everything on the subject. I could and would offer opinions about the perfect deer rifle and round. That was a long time ago. I don't know exactly how many deer sized animals I've killed in the last 50 years, but it would be in the hundreds. One thing I learned is that it hard to tell or see any difference in killing power(what ever that is) between a 243 and a 7RM. given similar shot placement on a deer. Sometimes actual,but limited experience, confuses the issue . Once on hunt in California a companion shot a deer just above the knee, the animal ran a few yards and lay down and let the hunter walk up and finish him off. On the same hunt another companion shot a deer several times with a 308 before killing it. Based on this first hand experience it might seem that the .243 is a hell of a deer round, just hit one anywhere and it'll go down, but The .308 really sucks. All I know for sure is if you put a good bullet at a reasonable velocity through the heart/lung area a deer/antelope etc., the animal is not long for this world.

Someone on here once said something along the lines of dancing on the head of a pin or pole vaulting over mouse schitt or something like that. Applies to most of these threads but then again there wouldn't be a site if it didn't happen. I know I don't fit in here because I really don't give a rat's azz about COAL, head stamps, pressure, KISS, AIs, or a number of other things. I do agree 100% with those that say stick a good bullet in the right spot. It really is that simple.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is anyone surprised at what gets posted by Don anymore?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No surprises here....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Royce
Apparently, the latitude at which a cartridge is used has more to do with it's effectiveness than bore size, case capacity, or any other ballistic detail. That's the only explanation I can think of for why Alaskan's are able to kill large bear, moose and caribou with 223s and 243s, but as you go south in the lower 48, bigger and bigger cartridges are needed for 100 pound whitetail deer.

Fred: Bergman's Rule in reverse? As applied to rifle cartridges?....that's pretty funny! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Congrats - Sounds like a SWEET rig.

I've always like the Light Sporter and the 257 R is more than enough.

Remember I said that....please.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .257 Roberts has taken everything from deer, hogs, antelope & elk in my family over the years. It is the rifle 2 of my 3 girls have started their hunting with and the third is about a year away.

My 700 Mtn Rifle shoots 100 gr. Barnes around 2900 fps. It exited through on a 550 lb. + cow elk at about 150 yds. I think it will kill any deer that walks if the bullet is placed right. "Gut shot" is "Gut shot" whether from a .223 or a .458 Win Mag.

Here are some photos of the .257 exploits.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is the exit wound from that cow elk.
[Linked Image]

PASS IT ON!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by C_ROY

[Linked Image]

WOW, tell your daughter, I am SO JEALOUS of that brute of a HOG!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have no complaints about my Remington 7600 or my Ruger MK II Ultralight. I don't roll my own and yes, a 243 would be a better choice. If one is willing to look around a bit, quite a bit of ammo can be found on line for the Roberts. Now I am just trying to get the funds to get a Kimber Montana.

Dale

Last edited by 257ROBT; 05/23/12.

The more you know, the less you need.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
C_Roy,

For a second I thought your kid was standing next to my ex-mother-in-law while she was sleeping. I used to rig up a similar outfit on the rafters in my garage so she could get a good night's sleep. I tried in on an oak tree out front, but the limb broke, the neighbors complained because their pets ran off, and damned animal control tried to stiff me for not having her licensed. She did scare off bats though. Last I heard she ran off to North Carolina with an orang pendek she met on e-agony.com for some inverted hardwoods slumber. Not even lumberjacks will jack timber where she's hanging 'round upside down. If you see her tell her to come back to California when she can't stay longer.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.