Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
OP Offline
T
Has anyone ever used this type of muzzleloader? The main questions I have are how it shoots, ranges, and accuracy.

GB1

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
buy one you wont regret

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I load mine on the low end around 1900 fps. Still out to 250 yards with a 290 grain barnes hold dead center on a whitetail and you have a dead deer. Every load I have tried shoots amazing. Ragged holes for groups.No recoil easy cleanup well worth the money.

J
JSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by dcd
buy one you wont regret

What he said.

T
OP Offline
T
What kind of powder is best and how many grains

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We all know you can't put a lot of faith in Toby, but there might be a little truth in this. Maybe not. Who knows for sure?

http://www.namlhunt.com/muzzleloaderlies.html

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
OP Offline
T
Are you shooting the Barnes MZ or the TMZ 290

T
OP Offline
T
What is your opinion concerning this muzzleloader

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
We all know you can't put a lot of faith in Toby, but there might be a little truth in this. Maybe not. Who knows for sure?

http://www.namlhunt.com/muzzleloaderlies.html

Does anyone really think in this day and age of sue for anything that savage would market this gun if there were problems? I will not share all my feelings on Toby Bridges. Will say this though he was at one time a huge fan of the savage. He was very well known for pushing the safety envelop of the gun. He tested and recommended all kinds of crazy loads including duplex and even triplex loads. If anyone was gonna blow up a gun it was going to be him. None the supposed problems came to light until after his relationship with savage ended. It would seem he has an ax to grind. I could type a lot bunch more.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree with you, but is the gun still being made?

Is any smokeless ML being made?

Just asking. I don't follow it too much, because it's not legal here.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by The_Mason
Are you shooting the Barnes MZ or the TMZ 290

I am shooting the TMZ in a MMP high pressure sabot. Load it over 44 grains of 5744.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree with you, but is the gun still being made?

Is any smokeless ML being made?

Just asking. I don't follow it too much, because it's not legal here.

The savage was discontinued. But due to demand they have continued making them. Originally they had a big disclaimer when they brought them back that there would only be one or two more runs. Now they are standard item no disclaimer. Other option for smokeless is the Bad Bull Muzzleloader. Very expensive but a great gun as well.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Something to think about. I could load it with BP for ML season, and use smokeless for rifle season.

I think. I'll have to check on using smokeless powder. Generally, you use anything in rifle seasons here.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 05/22/12.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Savage is still making them.

Or I can put one together for you. Or Bad Bull, SMI, Swinglock, even Hart I think.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In my opinion, smokeless is as good as it gets when it comes to muzzle loading. Minimal cleaning required. No smoke. Great accuracy and terminal performance. I understand some people do muzzle loading for the smoke and cleaning, and I totally understand that, but it's not for me!

Here's a post I put together for another thread last night:

I recently put this one together for a customer. It weighs 7# 13oz as shown in a McMillan HTG stock. This is definitely on the lighter end for the bolt action variety. Some of the 45/70 conversions that guys do are lighter.

[Linked Image]
It shot ok too:
Shots 4 & 7 were when I got the barrel too warm. At smokeless pressures, sabots become very sensitive to barrel heat.

Shot 1 @ t=0hrs
Shot 6 @ t=12 hrs
Shot 8 @ t=24 hrs
to give you an idea of cold bore consistency.

[Linked Image]

Here's one my brother took at 175 yards. Prone off of his back pack. I had spooked it out of a draw too him. He mouth bleated it to a stop in the middle of a corn field. No time to range, but he new it was less than 200 yards, so he put it right on the button. Perfect shot and the 195 grain expander never fails!
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by lwh723

Or I can put one together for you. Or Bad Bull, SMI, Swinglock, even Hart I think.

I'll get in touch later. I'm going to go ahead and still hunt the timber this year like i've been doing all my life.

Next year I want to try some long range big game hunting before I get too old to try something new. The only hunting i've done long range is coyotes with CF guns. I want to hunt big game long range with a ML.

I couldn't use smokeless in ML season, but i'm fine with using it in rifle season with a ML. that actually puts me at a disadvantage to the CF guns. I like that.

Why didn't I think of this before? Do they really recoil less? At 70 years old. I'm getting sensitive to recoil.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by lwh723

I'll get in touch later. I'm going to go ahead and still hunt the timber this year like i've been doing all my life.

Next year I want to try some long range big game hunting before I get too old to try something new. The only hunting i've done long range is coyotes with CF guns. I want to hunt big game long range with a ML.

I couldn't use smokeless in ML season, but i'm fine with using it in rifle season with a ML. that actually puts me at a disadvantage to the CF guns. I like that.

Why didn't I think of this before? Do they really recoil less? At 70 years old. I'm getting sensitive to recoil.

Yes, they do recoil less, they shoot great, the laminated stock models are a tad heavy. I'm pushing 70 also, and I have no problem shooting mine. I have one for sale on the fire in the classifieds if your looking. Always had a backup, now I only need one.

JohnP
T
OP Offline
T
Wow,that looks just like a Remington 700. Don't you have to have a rod?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Collapsible 3 piece rod that is carried in a sheath. Go to smokelessmz.com and click on the ramrod video. Pretty slick set up with the rod. Also any Rem 700 short action stock can be used on the 700ML. If you go with BDL stock you will just need bottom metal. The BDL stock makes a nice little storage compartment to hold sabot/bullet.

T
OP Offline
T
Where can I get a price for a 50cal complete gun and information pertaining to its performance?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.