Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SteveG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Got this pict in an e-mail today from Elton R. Snake is from northern Zambia. Difficult to tell how big it really is, but it surely isn't a small one.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Who is Elton R. Snake?

Sorry, I couldn't resist grin

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
WOW! He is a good sized one! I've only seen 4-5 footers in the zoo.

OR, maybe the guy holding him is only 2" tall.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The guy is holding him way out towards the camera on the stick. He might be a bigun though.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
how long would you have to live after the bite???

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

gabby's hold the distinction of being one of the only venomous snakes that even after they had their venom glands removed have killed people......believe one of the people was a gal in Colorado.....anyways they have the longest fangs of any snake.....atleast one gal had the venom glands removed to make it "safe"......snake struck her in the arm, force of the large snake hitting the arm with fangs sunk deep completely tore open the artery in the arm and she bled to death before getting to the phone to call for help....

drop for drop the venom is about like a eastern diamondbacks.....not good....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
would love to have the hide off that thing as well as the skull.....have the hide off a smaller one that died in captivity

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

If this one gets you by the throat, rips out your esophogus and smothers you with body weight you'll have about 30 seconds smile

Saddest part is that it's been killed and will have gone through that guy's digestive system by now. Sure is the biggest one I've ever seen.

True about the longest fangs and typically adder they are lazy and people tend to step on them more than anything else. Mostly prevalent in Natal as far as SA goes and I have never come across one in the wild...as far as I know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the guy doesnt look particularly tall, granted its hard to judge but i would guess that snake is just a few inches short of 6 foot making it close to the upper range of their biggest documented size.....are reports of some just over 7 foot but of course no ones brought out a live(or dead and whole) one that size for official measurement....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sheridan and I are of like mind when it comes to this kind of thing....

Damn...thats a gorgeous snake! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm kind of like Indy -- I don't like snakes!!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I love snakes!!!Dont think I would like to come across that one though...............

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It looks like the head on the snake is actually moving and not hanging down like one should if it is dead!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The neck looks kinked and likely broken from my view?

Regardless of size, vipers are bad news. In the PH academy we learned with videos showing a man getting bitten by a small Puff adder in a snake show, going to the hospital, with the video crew along with him. The next day his arm was about 3 times the size and he was pumped so full of anti-venom his body could take no more.

They decided to amputate the arm, but it was too late he died within 48 hours. This non-public video tape was to show that even a small adder was nothing to fool with.

One of my long time PH's was bitten on the index finger tip with barely a pin prick from a single fang.several hours later he could feel his hand throbbing. Later that early evening his finger began to swell and he was feeling feverish and nauseous. It was decided better safe then sorry lets get him to the hospital.

By the time we arrived he was very sick and swelling up fast. They gave him a good dose of anti-venom. Almost instantly he went into cardiac arrest and was flat lined, the paddles came out and revived him, twice more in the next hour he had cardiac arrest and the paddles were used to bring him back.

He was one of the 10% allergic to the anti-venom and had anaphylactic shock. Had the anti venom been given in the field he would have died there in the bush.

By night fall he was about 100% perfect with no effects from the paddles, the anaphylactic shock or the venom. He was back hunting the next day!

One of my School mates in RSA is a doctor in Natal. He told us that most of the snake bites he sees in his practice are from black kids running bare foot. Most lose a foot or leg below the knee from adder bites. The cytotoxic nature of the venom digests the flesh around the bite, and causes loss of blood flow with the massive swelling. This kills enough tissue that amputation is the last resort but all too frequent.

He also made note that he had never seen a adder bite above the knee. Most are assumed to be stepped upon and react by biting the nearest thing on them. Fortunately most snakes grandstand a bit before the strike. The Rinkals cobra may be one exception along with the Black Mamba during the breeding season. These two seem to bite first and ask questions later. Outside of the Breeding season they more remind me of a squirrel. They tend to go up the first tree they can reach. I've seen many more mambas in Trees then on the ground. same with the Rinkals. By the way, that Rinkals cobra goes through the branches about as easy as a fish can swim. They can go thru the trees faster overhead then a man can walk on the ground.

Anyway, I have plenty of stories and experience with snakes, too much to go into here. I've never cared for them, but I don't usually kill them "just because" either. I figure it's just bad Karma and hope they will give me a pass in the future for all those I have let go by in the past.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I want a pair of gabby boots!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
JJ:

When is the black mamba breeding season? I want to NOT be in the bush at that time.

For what it's worth, I've seen puff adders sunning themselves on paths in May and June and a black mamba in June. My PH killed a 10-foot black mamba in his garden in northern RSA in late May.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SteveG
Got this pict in an e-mail today from Elton R. Snake is from northern Zambia. Difficult to tell how big it really is, but it surely isn't a small one.
[Linked Image]

That thing is a hoss. There is a huge one at the Memphis Zoo's herpetarium too.

What about guns?When do we get guns?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
puff adders have very nasty venom, as far as flat out tissue destroying venoms go its about the worst....alot of those that die from puff adder bites dont technically die from the venom, they die from going septic from the dead tissue.....not a nice way to go....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was classified as septic with my Staph infection this past January. Nope, not pleasant at ALL. Easily the sickest and most miserable I have ever been and I cannot imagine being sicker. Since I nearly crossed over a couple of times, I think this means that I really could not have GOTTEN any sicker and been here to type about it.

As far as seeing big snakes in the wild, I genrally am of the mind to shoot first and would love to have some big snake skins as part of my trophies display. I have been exceptionally fortunate to have not had any run ins so far.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

I'm with Sheridan and ingwe, that is a gorgeous snake; it's dead.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

Jochen told me you really liked snakes. I'll admit even though it was Namibia's winter, when we would sit down and glass from the top of a rock strewn, brushy hill, i would very carefully scan my hind end's landing zone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ingwe has a mission from me to try and find a snake thats on his side of the state and not mine.....decided 4 years is long enough without a snake in the house and one species ive always wanted to work with is a small boa native to the western third of Montana....gonna get a few other species aswell including hopefully a mildly venomous species from South America i used to keep....

lordy lordy , thats a big snake not even seen them that size in the forest , and he is definately not a pygmy so thats a giant Gabon and has to be old man what a waste, didnt let it live , killed it and the probably tried to sell it for the meat if i know AFRICA !!!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
gaboons are not the most venon deadly but the extreme length of the fangs puts the poison so deep in the tissue. growing up in west texas we learned about snakes from early childhood & i never knew any of my friends getting bitten. these days if i see a copperhead or rattler not close to camp or home i just let them go along however the idea of snakes in trees would make me nervous. watching the ground & above is tough to handle.---cranky72

In the rain forest they blend in with leaves on the forest floor, have pygmy trackers who usually do vertical take off and walk on low hanging vines when they spot them, actually hilarious laugh till you hear them hiss ( sounds like air out of a inner tube ) then laughing stops and everyone heads back they way came without any dignity and at incredible speed usually means bongo hunt over for the day.

Makes for interesting conversation round a campfire >>>>

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cranky72
gaboons are not the most venon deadly but the extreme length of the fangs puts the poison so deep in the tissue. growing up in west texas we learned about snakes from early childhood & i never knew any of my friends getting bitten. these days if i see a copperhead or rattler not close to camp or home i just let them go along however the idea of snakes in trees would make me nervous. watching the ground & above is tough to handle.---cranky72

no drop for drop they dont hold a candle to alot of the elapids but drop for drop the venom is comparable to an eastern diamondback which is no slouch in toxicity combine that with a venom load significantly higher than most other snakes and bite are often lethal.....kinda 6 of one half dozen of the other.....might not be as deadly drop for drop as a mamba but your likely gonna die if bitten out in the bush just the same....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Rattler, you are evidentally a serpent man (Doh!) grin. I am very intrigued by most of the beautifully, patterned ones but was a little skittish in Namibia, and even though it was winter we had a smaller gabbon found outside the house one morning.

Last pd shoot in SD, one of our party stepped over a fence but levitated for an instant due to a short, forearm-thick Western Diamond back that would have been under his next step.

We saw more snakes that trip, one of which i used shooting sticks to put him in a cooler filled with ice. Six hours later, at home we sneaked a peak thinking he'd be "sleepy". Taking umbrage at our meddling in his day, he "cocked" his body and gave a nice sustained rattle -- my wife took umbrage with me. Well, he got the cryo- treatment and is now in permanent striking mode which I think he'd like. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djs
WOW! He is a good sized one! I've only seen 4-5 footers in the zoo.

OR, maybe the guy holding him is only 2" tall.

I don't care how long the snake is, but a human who is only 2 inches tall would really be something!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
George, yeah im a snake freak, but so is ingwe so im not alone on here laugh actually the snake yah found in South Dakota would have been a prairie rattler not a western diamond back......the diamondback isnt found much more north than Oklahoma....the markings/coloration of a prairie are close enough to a western diamodback that if your not really familiar with snakes you might not see the difference.....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm a bit of a snake freak too, and Australia can be quite a dangerous place to be so. Mind you, for all their hype and venom over here, they can be quite scarce to encounter, and even then, they seem to be intent on disappearing pretty quick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for the correction R.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Troy, at this point i would damn near give up my left nut to spend a month down there doing nothing but hunting, fishing and catching snakes and lizards.....my wife is afraid if i ever get to Oz, ill never leave laugh

George......since yah got him mounted as a reminder, interesting thing bout the prairie over the western diamondback is that drop for drop the prairies venom is more toxic......there are a fair number of subspecies in the prairie rattler complex and some of the others are some of the most deadly snakes in the US in venom toxicity.....but the good thing going for us is prairies usually arent a big snake so they dont pack as much venom as some of the other species so you normally have plenty of time to get to a doc so deaths are extremely uncommon.....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well Sheridan, come on over. The tropical part of Oz will see you having the most fun with most of your pursuits. Pigs, Buffalo, maybe some Chital deer in some areas. Access for hunting up there can be pretty hard, unless you're prepared to pay, or know someone with land. But area's for fishing and generally running amok with the local wildlife can be a bit easier to find. Not to mention, I've found most of the reptiles a bit nore prolific up there than down here in the South.
I mainly find common brown snakes down here, and the odd tiger and red bellied black. The first two are customers you certainly don't want to get in a tangle with, but the red bellied black isn't that poisonous.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rattler
Troy, at this point i would damn near give up my left nut to spend a month down there doing nothing but hunting, fishing and catching snakes and lizards.....my wife is afraid if i ever get to Oz, ill never leave laugh

George......since yah got him mounted as a reminder, interesting thing bout the prairie over the western diamondback is that drop for drop the prairies venom is more toxic......there are a fair number of subspecies in the prairie rattler complex and some of the others are some of the most deadly snakes in the US in venom toxicity.....but the good thing going for us is prairies usually arent a big snake so they dont pack as much venom as some of the other species so you normally have plenty of time to get to a doc so deaths are extremely uncommon.....

Having read your posts for some years I am fairly sure you will fit in fine here....now if you can just get rid of that abysmal accent.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The only good snake ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I hate snakes. The snake in the original pic makes me think I need a double rifle just in case.... Regardless, a .30 WCF is not overkill for a creature of that size.

Also, thanks to JJ for filling my nightmares with cobras swimming around over my head in the trees.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 31 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.