Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker
The truck, unless alot of money has been plowed into it and I would need to see receipts is basically shot at that point IMO.

That's complete nonsense.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
ymmv, but I havent had a Dodge or Chevy go a 100k without plowing money into let alone 250k.
Many of the components on GM vehicles have a engineered life of 100,000 miles. I know this because I worked for a tier one supplier to GM.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It's amazing how much expertise there seems to be on things when the folks doing the talking don't own them.

I got 220,000 miles out of the first generation of LB7 injectors.
Both thermostats were replaced at 220,000 miles.
Both jounce bumpers were replaced at 216,000 miles.
I replaced the water pump at 195,000 miles due to leaking at the weep hole.
I replaced 1 upper ball joint at 184,000 miles.
I replaced the rear pinion seal at 61,000 miles.

I've had the truck since new in Feb 2002. 150,000 of those miles were in the first 4 years of ownership. I've been running a Diablo Sport Predator 85HP tune for nearly 200,000 miles and had no Allison related issues.

Otherwise regular maintenance by me and no huge amount of parts thrown at it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just did an entire front end including steering box, tie rod ends, ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm etc on a 06 LBZ with 85,000 on it.....
The injectors are a well known and documented issue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just did an entire front end including steering box, tie rod ends, ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm etc on a 06 LBZ with 85,000 on it.....
\

So you did a front end on an '06. BFD. Doesn't mean they're trouble prone, it just means that one had problems. And injectors AREN'T a well known issue with anything after LB7. Working for a supplier at one time hasn't made you very knowledgeable.

My own truck - '04 LLY with 130K miles. Water pump replaced at 65,000 miles, that's it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ymmv, but I havent had a Dodge or Chevy go a 100k without plowing money into let alone 250k.
Many of the components on GM vehicles have a engineered life of 100,000 miles. I know this because I worked for a tier one supplier to GM.

Dodge maybe, I haven't owned them and have no experience. But Chevy trucks, complete nonsense. Even my old beater '94 GMC gas truck with 225K and countless miles on jeep trails, no front end problems ever. Other than brakes, I've replaced 2 starters (last one at 215K), one front wheel bearing at 212K, and an alternator at 220k.......that's it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Yep the first generation LB7 injectors have been a known issue since 2002. Bosch has revised then numerous times. I had the most problematic generation (generation 1, no revisions)of injectors and only managed to get 220,000 miles out of them before smoking at idle began. Otherwise, no complete front end or much of anything else suspension wise even running oversize tires for nearly 150,000 miles. My suspension gets thoroughly checked yearly. The OEM shocks wore out quickly but they were replaced with Bilsteins and no problem since.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No. 1 problem with any common rail injector is poor fuel quality and lack of good filtration.

Chevy uses better factory filtration than what Dodge attaches to the Cummins, but both should have an additional 2 micron filter installed and use quality filters.

Life is just one damned thing after another
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm not disagreeing with you there. I've been running CAT 1R-0749s, in addition to the OEM which has been revised numerous times, for approximately 160,000 miles. It may not be the single holy grail contributing factor to injector life but it doesn't hurt. Another issue with HPCR is entrained water in fuel. Additives, either emulsifiers or demulsifiers, take care of that problem. Water is incredibly destructive to injectors operating at high pressure.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ackman
\

So you did a front end on an '06. BFD. Doesn't mean they're trouble prone, it just means that one had problems. And injectors AREN'T a well known issue with anything after LB7. Working for a supplier at one time hasn't made you very knowledgeable.

My own truck - '04 LLY with 130K miles. Water pump replaced at 65,000 miles, that's it.

Expectations vary I guess. If its acceptable fore you to plow several grand into a vehicle with less than 100K on the odo you deserve what you get. BTW the same truck also required all for calipers replaced and all four abs wheel sensors and I only owned it for roughly 30k. I knew the previous owner and he had some minor issues with as well.

Last edited by BWalker; 05/21/12.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
\

Your making the assumption this is my first rodeo with a GM truck vehicle. It aint and despite getting option one price I will not buy another. My wifes 09 Acadia was the final straw.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
\

Expectations vary I guess. If its acceptable fore you to plow several grand into a vehicle with less than 100K on the odo you deserve what you get. BTW the same truck also required all for calipers replaced and all four abs wheel sensors and I only owned it for roughly 30k. I knew the previous owner and he had some minor issues with as well.

Yeah......expectations vary. I just did the '04's brakes at 125,000 miles....rear pads needed replacing, fronts were only about 1/2 worn. Just about everyone gets that much or more from those brakes and I know guys who've gone a lot further than that. Awful good for a 3/4t heavy duty, 7000lb truck. Your truck was a turd. It happens.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
\

Your making the assumption this is my first rodeo with a GM truck vehicle. It aint and despite getting option one price I will not buy another. My wifes 09 Acadia was the final straw.

You sound like a troll or a know nothing. Get a different kind of truck, that's what you should do.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
\

You sound like a troll or a know nothing. Get a different kind of truck, that's what you should do.

Its not just one truck and not just one rodeo. Its a pattern with the dodge and GM vehicles I have owned over the years.
If your happy with your GM trucks stuck with em. I havent been and wont buy another.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unfortunately there's not one of the big 3 that you're guaranteed even a trouble free 75-100,000 mile truck

They continue to get more expensive, but also cheapen them up at the same time.

Injectors (good fuel & filtration will cure most issues)
Front Ends (hit & miss)
Transmissions
Emissions
List goes on and on, total crap shoot

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I cant comment on Ford, because I have never owned one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hmmmmmmmmmm. 125k on my 2002. Injectors at 85K, water pump at 100K, Right carrier bearing in rear end, put in a full bearing set. Just checked the breaks, about 1/2 worn out. I change the oil every 10K using Mobil 1 at which time it is 1 quart down.

With the cost of new trucks being what they are, I will repair what is required to about 300K, then it's decision time.

Jim
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JBoutfishn
Hmmmmmmmmmm. 125k on my 2002. Injectors at 85K, water pump at 100K, Right carrier bearing in rear end, put in a full bearing set. Just checked the breaks, about 1/2 worn out. I change the oil every 10K using Mobil 1 at which time it is 1 quart down.

With the cost of new trucks being what they are, I will repair what is required to about 300K, then it's decision time.

Curious which Mobil 1 you're using and how you came to the 10K mile oil change interval?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hopefully Mobil 1 turbo diesel or Delvac 1..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry, that would be Delvac 1, 5-40. Why 10K? I had the oil analyzed at 7500K, was good to go. Did it again at 10K and was still good. Just could not go any more. 10K is now my program. I might add I use Balwin filters exclusively.

In addition, I drove a 84 Camaro 280K using Mobil 1. Changed the oil around 10K, no engine issues. Needed a clutch at 120K, traded it when things started falling apart around the running gear.

Last edited by JBoutfishn; 05/22/12.

Jim
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.