-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Version 6.4.6 of Oehler's "Ballistic Explorer" is due to be available this month. (I haven't heard, but I assume that NECO has a new version of "QuickLOAD" too.)

Since 1982, I've used well over a dozen commercial and freeware ballistics programs (I haven't kept a tally). My favorites are (a) Br�mel's "QuickLOAD" for interior-ballistics calculations and (b) Oehler's "Ballisic Explorer" for exterior-ballistics calculations. These two aren't the only good ones that I have, of course, but they've become the two that I use almost exclusively for interior- and exterior-ballistics calculations. (Cartridge-design is another matter.)

I especially like "Explorer's" on-screen comparisons of two or three loads. I'd probably prefer Sierra's "Infinity" for this if I could figure-out how to make it compare up to five loads on a screen.

I'm using Oehler's version 6.4.5, and I'm happy with it. I have no idea what's new in version 6.4.6, but I'll buy the up-date just to have the current version, as soon as I can locate my "safely stored somewhere" access code.

http://www.neconos.com
http://www.oehler-research.com

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, just ordered the up-grade, after a long, tedious shuffle of old CDs to find the serial number and the key code of the old version.

Now we just sit and wait � the down side of on-line buying! frown

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oehler presents a rockin'-good, copiously illustrated guide to the "Ballistic Explorer" software on the Oehler Research web site. It's both a good sales come-on and a good how-to and get-acquainted guide when you have the program on your computer. I'm tempted to copy it and save it as a word-processor file for frequent access and memory-booster.

Have a look at it �

http://www.oehler-research.com/explore.html

Here's my favorite feature � the comparison graph �

[Linked Image]

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just received the latest incarnation of "Ballistic Explorer," and with it a delightful serendipitous surprise �

The long-lost and bitterly lamented Oehler 35P chronograph is available again!

Sic 'em, boys! Get 'em while they're hot! The lesson already so bitterly learned is that they may not be available forever!

I've let mine go, and couldn't use one if I had one, but I'm tempted � just "because."

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is certainly good news, Dr Howell. I have the one I purchased in '91 or '92, I forget which, but have been wondering what I would replace it with if I had to.

I guess the reintroduction of the 35P will move the CED Millennium II back to 2nd place, but I'm hoping I never have to replace the original unit.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just installed it over the old version, and I must say that I've changed my mind.

If anybody else gets it, I'll be jealous. laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using Ballistic Explorer for about 10 years. I got it free when I purchased the 35P Chronograph back then. I've gotten free upgrades since that time as I suspect anyone can if they download the setup file rather than order a new CD. As usual, Oehler is ahead of the pack in that area as well. The setup file is digitally signed so you can tell if you got a good download before you run the setup file. There's even a video showing how to download and test the setup file. I just upgraded to version 6.4.6, which seems to be mostly an update to the load and bullet database. Still, it's free and I appreciate Oehler's commitment to keep their software up to date.

I also have Sierra Infinity 6 and was disappointed to find that I had to create a bullet for every BC I wanted to experiment with, and what's worse is that Infinity only works with G1 ballistic coefficients as far as I have figured out. Now that Berger and Lapua publish G7 ballistic coefficients I really appreciate Ballistic Explorer's ability to work with G7 and other drag models as well as convert from one drag model to another. I see Ballistic Explorer's bullet library now includes some G7 values for Berger and Lapua bullets, which saves me time looking them up.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been using Ballistic Explorer back when it run under DOS nearly 20 years ago. Even then it would work with three loads and shooting conditions at a time so that you could do comparisons of different loads or conditions, something many other programs have since copied, but only in a half baked manner. Nothing else I�ve found has all the cutting edge tools, yet is so easy to use.

I�m a big fan of Dr. Ken Oehler and had good a friend who had a Model 43 back in the mid 90�s. Spent many afternoons working with that magic box testing new loads and bullets, so it�s sad to see it�s no longer available. To this day there�s nothing else in the handloader price range that can measure pressure, velocity, ballistic coefficient, and accuracy for every shot fired and then print out a report with all the setup values, shot data, statistics and graphs for the pressure and the target, all on a single page. That same DNA is in Ballistic Explorer, it�s simply the best, and anyone can download and try it for free.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And the price is right!

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken getting infinity to graph 5 loads is easy.

[Linked Image]

Not a very good screen capture, but it does work.

The opening screen gives you 5 items to load into the calculator. Select the 5 that you want. Be sure to load all of the parameters for that bullet, hit the accept values button, then hit the load button at the bottom, this saves that load into memory. After doing this for all 5 loads, go to the top menu bar where it says trajectory, click and scroll down to trajectory comparisons. This will take you to a screen that allows you to check 1 or all of the 5 loads that have been saved. Check each box, if one has not been loaded into memory, it will tell you. After all boxes are checked, hit the load button at the bottom, and the graph will pop up. It gives graph options for Velocity, wind drift, bullet path, and energy off to the left.

Hope this helps

Swifty

Last edited by Swifty52; 05/20/12.

Swifty
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Amigo!

I'll give it my best shot!

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Swifty52

[Linked Image]

The opening screen gives you 5 items to load into the calculator. Select the 5 that you want. Be sure to load all of the parameters for that bullet, hit the accept values button, then hit the load button at the bottom, this saves that load into memory. After doing this for all 5 loads, go to the top menu bar where it says trajectory, click and scroll down to trajectory comparisons. This will take you to a screen that allows you to check 1 or all of the 5 loads that have been saved. Check each box, if one has not been loaded into memory, it will tell you. After all boxes are checked, hit the load button at the bottom, and the graph will pop up. It gives graph options for Velocity, wind drift, bullet path, and energy off to the left.

Hope this helps

Swifty

This is a good illustration of the difference between programs like Sierra Infinity and Ballistic Explorer. Being true to its name, Ballistic Explorer is designed to explore, to let the user get answers to what if questions. Here�s an image of Ballistic Explorer showing three 0.308 bullets. The Sierra Game King in Trace 1 is using Sierra�s multiple BC values, the Berger VLD in Trace 2 is using the G7 BC value they publish, and the Scirocco in Trace 3 is using the single value G1 BC. Ballistic Explorer lets you view the data in many ways at the same time, but I like to open the Explore and Examine windows and position them so I can view both a graph and a spread sheet at the same time. Here I�m graphing bullet energy and viewing velocity data at the same time.

[Linked Image]

If I want to change the BC of one of the bullets in Sierra Infinity I have to first create a custom bullet, load and accept the data then work my way back to the comparison display. With Ballistic Explorer I can enter a new value directly or just move the slider for BC and watch the graph and data change on the fly. I can do the same for velocity, temperature and altitude, I can even open a second graph window and view something like path all at the same time and change zero ranges with the click of a button. It�s the difference between live and static data, it�s the difference between seeing the possibilities and looking at the world through a keyhole, it�s the difference between fun and work, it�s the difference between how Dr. Ken Oehler designs software and all the rest do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gath_Sten

[Linked Image]

Hope this helps

Swifty

This is a good illustration of the difference between programs like Sierra Infinity and Ballistic Explorer. Being true to its name, Ballistic Explorer is designed to explore, to let the user get answers to what if questions. Here�s an image of Ballistic Explorer showing three 0.308 bullets. The Sierra Game King in Trace 1 is using Sierra�s multiple BC values, the Berger VLD in Trace 2 is using the G7 BC value they publish, and the Scirocco in Trace 3 is using the single value G1 BC. Ballistic Explorer lets you view the data in many ways at the same time, but I like to open the Explore and Examine windows and position them so I can view both a graph and a spread sheet at the same time. Here I�m graphing bullet energy and viewing velocity data at the same time.

[Linked Image]

If I want to change the BC of one of the bullets in Sierra Infinity I have to first create a custom bullet, load and accept the data then work my way back to the comparison display. With Ballistic Explorer I can enter a new value directly or just move the slider for BC and watch the graph and data change on the fly. I can do the same for velocity, temperature and altitude, I can even open a second graph window and view something like path all at the same time and change zero ranges with the click of a button. It�s the difference between live and static data, it�s the difference between seeing the possibilities and looking at the world through a keyhole, it�s the difference between fun and work, it�s the difference between how Dr. Ken Oehler designs software and all the rest do.

I especially like "Explorer's" on-screen comparisons of two or three loads. I'd probably prefer Sierra's "Infinity" for this if I could figure-out how to make it compare up to five loads on a screen.

Damn man, try to help a guy out, then have some guy give ya a sales pitch making it sound like I pissed on his sister or something. To hell with trying to help anymore.

Swifty

Swifty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Damn man, try to help a guy out, then have some guy give ya a sales pitch making it sound like I pissed on his sister or something. To hell with trying to help anymore.

Swifty

It seems like a product comparison is helpful to the many more who read rather than post. Is it a sales pitch to tout the virtues of Ballistic Explorer on a thread titled newest Oehler's "Ballistic Explorer"? Seems we all have our favorite products and like to share that information. Sorry you took offense, none was intended.

With all the free ballistic calculators on the web I wonder how long full featured desktop software like Ballistic Explorer will be available. My hope is that if people understand the advantages it will forestall the day when we are all stuck with dummy downed free stuff.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 25 invisible), 1,806 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,176
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.