Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Oh yea,even though the Ford Fiesta I was looking was built in Mexico the engine was made in Brazil and the transmission some other nation I cannot remember.
Maybe it was Spain.

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'm not sure I know what to think about Cars anymore . I don't buy economy Cars but my want list goes toward Handling , Braking , Power , Style , and reasonable Economy ( for me ) . I have owned 3 Camry V6s and each later Model was a little less reliable . Last one was a 2007 . $400 repair Bill at 43K Miles and another $400 or so at 48 K Miles . Sooooo , I bought a 2011 Turbo Hyundai Sonata .....the worst car I ever bought new . 8 Months and at least 8 trips to the Dealer . The Factory Rep was a XXXXXX and so was his Tech. Rep . Hyundai never answered my Messages . I bought the Mid Model which had all the so called heavy duty components : Shocks , Sway Bar , Wheels , Tires , etc . and never drove it hard . I checked the Internet ( which I should have done BEFORE I bought the car ) , and there were all kinds of Videos on the pulling to the side Problems with this car . My Dealer told me I was not the only one with this problem . My Dealer kept at it and finally got it almost right ....maybe 90% . How Hyundai kept this so quiet , I will never know . I don't believe much of anything in the Auto Magazines anymore . Think I will look at Ford next time . Oh , one last thing : because of the lousy Economy , we have big Potholes all over the Highway . These new , really low Profile 45 Series Tires suck when it comes to handling Potholes ...either that or the Sidewalls are really weak . Punctured 2 so far ( unrepairable ) and over $200 apiece ! Wish I had all my Grand Prixs , Monte Carlos or Chargers back again .

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've driven a Saturn for a long time as my commuter. I am at 171k, and getting 35mpg. Schit has been going haywire lately though. Tranny acting up, just changed the alternator, and I have grinding and popping in the front end. Probably time to move on, but I just priced used Toys and Hondas, OUCH!

Might have to settle for a Ford Focus.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I say screw the US auto unions, that's why some of the foreign companies that have non union plants in the South are more compelling to me.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Get whatever turns you on.
Foreign cars are assembled here. US cars are assembled there.
Unfortunately, they all have way too many parts made by the Chinaman. wink

FJB & FJT
IC B2

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I quit buying American garbage 12 years ago. Best move I ever made in 43 years of driving. If you want a good car get youself a VW, Audi, or BMW.

XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
test1328, PM inbound.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
we're being offered global choices now, in which to expend our limited supply of dollars.

i like Toyota. my son and daughter both like Honda. i have a Honda garden tiller. grin

Kia, and others are in the compete now.it's a choice of quality, price, style, and reliability. resale may not be that important any longer. buy it, run it till the wheels come off, and buy the best in the herd next time around.

Tundra and Highlander are a family mix that is hard to beat.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If Honda or Toyota doesn't make it, I don't want it. The only exception would be Ford Pickups.

My opinion, but I am 62 years old and it is based on a lot of experience and observation.

NRA Patron Member
U.S. Navy Veteran 1969-1973
Sons of the American Revolution
Sons of Confederate Veterans
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the problem is that forcing the government to buy USA is a trade violation.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks to all for your input. I suppose when I consider the fact that most US cars are not manufactured here anymore and that a lot of the foreign ones are, it probably doesn't matter which make I purchase. I try to buy American if and when I can but this subject is about as clear as mud.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have been replacing parts on the 99 Saturn lately, and they all say "made in Canada."

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
So tell me where do the profits go? Far to many here are willing to send their dollar abroad.

As for being "built here" is a Toyota that is built using Japanese machine tools for parts production overseen by Japanese managers but located on American soil somehow American made?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
why, yes they are! grin

all the profits (and losses) remain down here on the Earthen.

the money flows, like water. from a higher level to a lower level. money flows. it doesn't remain in China, Japan, India, Europe, Brazil or the US.

money flows like water. grin

when will we ever wake up? anyone know for sure?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always liked smaller cars myself...........Like GT2's GT3's, GT2 RS's.............lol

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have owned a 5.0 mustang, 1500 silverado, and now a 2500 silverado. Been happy with each of them. The mustang was sold running like a champ with 210,00 on the odometer and those were not kind miles!

My wife has had a prelude that had tons of problems that was replaced with a lexus rx300. I only agreed with this purchase based on their reputation for quality, and she really loved the car, as it was a little rich for our blood. Sadly, I am not wholly impressed, as I have put close to 1500 in repairs to it already. Not what I wanted with a lexus.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by walt501
So tell me where do the profits go? Far to many here are willing to send their dollar abroad.

That arguement died with the invention of the stock market. Profits go to the shareholders...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
---Disclosure----
I have a vested interest.
I work in a factory that makes Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclaves.
---end disclosure---

For me, it comes down to this. The transplants are paying for American sweat and the ability to advertise "American Made'. Brawn work is fine but in a competitive situation a liter of sweat is a commodity and you are competing with China and India and Korea and Indonesia. The path to a decent paycheck is not found competing on the basis of brawn against Asians.

The likelihood of your child getting a Brain work job from the transplants is pretty remote. The chances of their getting a Brain work job with one of the Big Three is much, much higher. Do you want to make that choice for your kids and grandkids....that they never have a decent shot at a job where they can use their brains to their full advantage?

Another issue is retirement. Both hourly and management have a target on their chest aftere they hit 45. A 48 year old who drops a gum wrapper on the floor is fired. No retirement, no more ergonomic/OSHA risk. Nissan has astronomical productivity because they design jobs for 27 year old workers. Go ahead and buy a transplant vehicle if that is how you treat your neighbors...a boot in the azz when they are beat down rather than a bowl of chicken soup.

All I ask as an auto worker is that you shop my products. If you buy a competitor's product then I failed. I am an adult and I can accept that. But at least shop one of my company's offerings in the segment you are shopping. You may get a snicker out of our attempt...or you may fall in love with it and buy the best vehicle you ever owned.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good post JM.

By nearly all accounts the Traverse, Acadia, and Enclave are excellent vehicles in their class.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeMama
---Disclosure----
I have a vested interest.
I work in a factory that makes Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclaves.
---end disclosure---

...........All I ask as an auto worker is that you shop my products. If you buy a competitor's product then I failed. I am an adult and I can accept that. But at least shop one of my company's offerings in the segment you are shopping. You may get a snicker out of our attempt...or you may fall in love with it and buy the best vehicle you ever owned.

Can't argue with that. I am about to be due for a new truck in the next year and have considered looking at a Ford. GM and Chrysler are out of the running for me though.

Stush
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.