24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was trying to help my father sight in his new Model 336 this weekend, and we had real problems with the vertical adjustment. With the factory sight settings, the bullets were hitting 6+ inches high (and 4+ inches to the right) at 25 yds. The ammo was the Winchester 30-30 150 grain hollow points. Even after unscrewing the vertical adjustment screw until it wasn't touching the barrel, the shots were 4+ inches high at 25 and 50 yds. We were shooting over an aluminum gun case with a padded gun case between the gun's fore-end and the metal case. Just to see if it made any difference, I rested my left elbow on the shooting bench and just held the fore-end in my left hand, and the point of impact was still 4+ inches high.

One thing to note is my father tightened the front screw on the rear sight (i.e., the screw nearest to the muzzle of the three screws on the rear sight) when I wasn't paying attention (after we made the horizontal adjustment and tightened that screw), and I don't know how much he tightened that front screw or if that screw even makes any difference as to the vertical adjustment. I would have tried loosening that front screw a little to see what happened, but we were running short on ammo and my father was in a hurry to get back for a family gathering.

I would just put a low-powered scope on it, but my father likes the way it handles without a scope, so we need to solve the problem.

Any insights?

BP-B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What kind of rear sight does it have? Is it a buckhorn type sight mounted on the barrel just forward of the receiver, or is it an aperature sight (peep sight)?

"Keep up the fire!"
Motto of the U.S. Ninth Infantry Regiment
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's the factory buckhorn "open" sight (not a peep sight) mounted on the barrel just in front of the receiver.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Marlin Model 1893 in .23-35 a few years ago and mounted a receiver sight. I could not get the impact down below about 6 inches high at 100 yards. I called Brownells and got their customer service department. The rep recommended a replacement front sight and I ordered the one that he recommended based on his calculations. After I swapped out the front sight, I was able to go ahead and get the rifle sighted in at about 3 inches high at 100 yards. You may have to resort to this, but it is a cheap fix (less than $20 as I recall).

It's a bit tricky to install the new sight, but I managed with the help of a couple of items that I borrowed from a friend who is a pretty good amateur gunsmith. Any gunsmith who works on older lever actions can probably do it for you--it's pretty simple once you have done it.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just looked at one of the buckhorn sights that I removed from one of my Marlins, there is a blade that you can adjust for further elevation after you have already adjusted the elevator. Also like mudhen said, you could replace front sight with a taller sight to bring down the impact of your rounds. Move the rear sight in the direction you want to go for windage. Personally, I would put a receiver peep sight on that rifle, and I believe your Dad will really like it.

"Keep up the fire!"
Motto of the U.S. Ninth Infantry Regiment
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Those rear buckhorn sights come in 2 different heights.
It sounds like you have the high one, and you need to swap it out to match your front sight. Look in the Midway or Brownells web site at the Marbles sights to see what I am talking about. Then measure yours. You don't need a micrometer - the difference between the two is about 15/100", which you can measure with a carpenter's ruler.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Call MARLIN and explain the problem. They will send you the correct buckhorn sight at no cost. I had the same problem with my 1895GS when I bought it. Their CUSTOMER SVS is great. Hope this helps!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
HOGBUSTER,

You were right. We replaced the rear sight with the new one Marlin sent and got the gun sighted in Christmas Day with no problem. Thanks for the input!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
555 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.