-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is probably a stupid question, but would Clark Desert boots be OK? Good Lord willing we're going in 2014 to RSA.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Check out the new New Balance ultra light trail runners. The only downside is that they are orange. At least you won't get shot in the foot or even worse, shoot yourself in your foot.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
3040Krag,
Many of the trackers wear desert boots and they seem to work well. I believe they are made by Bata not Clark but they look identical. Most of the PH's seem to wear Courtney boots. In the US the Courtney's are not cheap, but they are sturdier than the desert boots and give more protection. They are a bit heavier.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gentlemen ive never been to africa, but i do know a bit about comfy walking boots. If fellas are looking for super comfy lightweight american made boots, check out thoroughgoods. Ive been wearing them for work (i work construction and im on concrete all day everyday) thier wedge sole is the most comfortable light weight full grain leather boot on the planet. The soles are also very very soft and quite, i wear another pair to stalk deer with because i can notice an actual differnce when stepping on twigs. Ive enclosed a link. Try to support american business if you can.

http://thorogoodworkboots.com/

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I don't like big boots nor heavy ones and i absolutely wouldn't wear a tennis shoe type shoe. I am looking for a 4 or 4 1/2 inch chukka type leather shoe, light weight -- that gives ankle support. It could be just a very good walking shoe, but not a walker/tennis type, synthetic shoe etc. I like the Courney low type chukka boot but I think cost has to be considered. I don't want a boot that is 6" or more. My feet sweat,
and they are sensitive(never been a barefooter). I have seen boots
that look light and are possible. Going to try something here shortly anticipating 2013 and Ks in early fall for a look at taking a trophy deer possibility. British Columbia is in my son's plans, but the requirements are different

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big fan of Meindl's. One of these should work, my only question is if the sole is quiet enough.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Grand-Junction-Hikers-by-Meindl/753543.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeindl%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meindl&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Perfekt-Casual-Chukkas-by-Meindl/1194964.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeindl%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meindl&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Perfekt-Light-Hikers-by-Meindl/1221423.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeindl%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meindl&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Uninsulated-Ultralight-Hunter-Boots-by-Meindl/1237095.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeindl%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meindl&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by AB2506
Big fan of Meindl's. One of these should work, my only question is if the sole is quiet enough.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Grand-Junction-Hikers-by-Meindl/753543.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeindl%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meindl&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Perfekt-Casual-Chukkas-by-Meindl/1194964.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeindl%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meindl&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Perfekt-Light-Hikers-by-Meindl/1221423.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeindl%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meindl&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Uninsulated-Ultralight-Hunter-Boots-by-Meindl/1237095.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeindl%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meindl&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I had actually picked out the Perfek Hiker and oxford... The uninsulated boot would be good for winter for me in most circumstances. I used to wear a work boot from Wards that I really liked, uninsulated but with room for wool socks and inner sock and my feet were never cold (Zero and above). I used snow seal for waterproofing for snow but in MO/Kan/AR not much snow.

Thanks for your list... Dai

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Boots are like underwear. What is comfortable for you may be uncomfortable for someone else.

Personally, my favorite are Courtney safari boots. I've used the same two pairs for years and have found them to be comfortable and rugged. Available from Westley Richards and African Sporting Creations.

Russell PH boots also work well, though fitting can be a pain, as they are made to measure and Russell doesn't always get it right on the first try.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Boots are like underwear. What is comfortable for you may be uncomfortable for someone else.

Personally, my favorite are Courtney safari boots. I've used the same two pairs for years and have found them to be comfortable and rugged. Available from Westley Richards and African Sporting Creations.

Russell PH boots also work well, though fitting can be a pain, as they are made to measure and Russell doesn't always get it right on the first try.

How well does the Courtneys fit?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
AB2506:

The Courtney's fit me the best of any boot I've ever worn. But remember, every foot is different. I wear them with Falke TK2 socks, which I also highly recommend.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mod70, Do they fit true to measured NA sizes?

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I too, am very happy with my Courtney boots. When I got them several years ago from Westley Richards the salesman warned me that they were made in Zimbabwe and they may vary from pair to pair in a given size. (Not all 10's are really 10's, etc.) That may have been corrected by now but I got lucky with mine and have been happy since. Supposedly, they are MUCH cheaper if they are bought in Zimbabwe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Goretex or no Goretex in a boot?

A lot of the boots I am considering are Goretex lined. Usually they work good, but I must admit that usually I don't hunt in temperatures that would come close to RSA. 60-70F would be hot in most seasons that I hunt. Most is around freezing or below.

I see that Lowa makes a version of the Renegade that is leather lined. Would that be better than the Goretex version? (provided the boot fits etc)

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=3108470442&Category=3&Type=M

How heavy is the dew in RSA? From what I understand it doesn't rain that often when most people are hunting. If the dew is heavy and a person were stalking in the early morning, it might take all day for the feet to dry out?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you go in August like I did, the only thing that will wet your boots is the hose if you turn it on........I don't think you will need gore-tex over there.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. Is Goretex to be avoided?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use $12.00 canvas slip on shoes from Walmart and find them all I need, and they're very quiet.

If you are hunting in the tougher hills and rocks around East Cape or similar, use a light boot that is QUIET!.

You don't need Gortex or insulation.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
My PH had his boots drying in front of the fire each evening due to the amount of dew we encountered hunting Eastern Cape a month ago and his were not Goretex lined. We had only one day of rain in 14 days and we did not hunt that day but the due in the mornings was pretty heavy. Not sure about other months since both of my SA trips were in May. My old run of the mill Irish Setter Goretex lined boots were nice and dry when I took them off in the evening and when I put them back on in the morning.

The important issue are making sure your boots are well worn, broken in and that you have good socks.

Best wishes and good luck on your hunt.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
AB2506:

The Courtney's fit me the best of any boot I've ever worn. But remember, every foot is different. I wear them with Falke TK2 socks, which I also highly recommend.

+1 to both but I prefer the TK4 sock.

The soles on my first pair are almost smooth.

They still fit and feel great 10 yesr later. They are a tad heavy but I dont seem to notice with them on

Dave

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've gone to the local Army Surplus store, and found that "Hot Weather" boots are outstanding.

and...... can be had for around $20 for a used pair. Get them large enough so you can wear a good thick sock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 3040Krag
This is probably a stupid question, but would Clark Desert boots be OK? Good Lord willing we're going in 2014 to RSA.

I'm afraid not. They are best for the desert. I've had them. At least for me, they end up rather useless if you get them wet, since they soften up and stretch to the point that you feel like you are walking in soft suede bags, slipping and sliding all over.

Yes, hunting in Africa is largely dry, but one does find muddy places and often you have to step in water while hunting. At least, I and my friends did. In one place our PH pointed to tracks next to mine that he said were those of a 13 ft. croc. At that point, I was glad that I had sturdy boots and got out of there ASAP. He said there was no way a man could fight off one that size. (I never did see the croc, but that's okay.) eek

Personally, I used Russell Birdshooters in Zambia. About 10 in. high, lace up (better with replacement speed laces), moccasin toe and only one layer of leather. I would not spend the extra money on custom fit if you are a standard size, since they've gotten too expensive. Worked fine for me, though I have the hard sole ones and the soft seems be better for quiet stalking,

Many praise the Courteney line. They look okay and seem very popular in Africa, but again they look pretty expensive. If they fit, great. See http://www.courteneyboot.com/

I live on a mountain in Japan and as I get older, my bad feet and aching knee prompted my to buy a pair of Alden 405s for walking down the hill. I figured if Harrison Ford chose them when he worked construction and later specified them for his Indy Jones roles, they might feel really good -- and they do. Expensive these days, but they are so light and comfortable that I would not hesitate to use them for most hunting applications, and I have Russells, Meindl Alaskans, Bean boots, Justins, etc. for specialized hunts.

Of course, any light construction or work boot might be similar. Way back in college, I bought a cheap pair of work boots made of soft yellow leather and thick white soles at an NYC army surplus store that were supremely comfortable and lasted for decades. Back then Abercrombie & Fitch still existed, and if you were Elgin Gates, Bob Lee, Capstick or someone like that, you could afford what it offered, but as a young college kid, I window shopped but bought army surplus. smile

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 14 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.