Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Trying to plan a trip to the park just after Labour Day (probably be in the park a week or so) in September and naturally my focus is to get some fishing done! I'm thinking Wooly Buggers as a start, any other suggestions for that time of year? I'm running a 6wt and intend to sample several different waters while I'm there.

GB2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Slough creek is peaking during that time. Unfortunately everyone knows that and fishing can be crowded. It is still a good recommendation that time of year. Focus your fishing around the northeast entrance.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep...done plenty of fishing there in Sept.. I also like Slough creek but find it too crowded, another nice one is Soda Butte Creek, and my fave is the Lamar.....
In september bring lots of hopper flies in size 12...I always liked letort hoppers the best, but its a personal preference thing. I would also get a few Black Ants in about size 14...have seen them frequently do a flying migrate thing in Sept.
In all venues in that NE corner of the park be aware and be prepared for Griz.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Life doesn't get much better than YNP after Mem Day.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to it. I've fished the Lamar a bit and enjoyed it. Nice and open country to keep an eye out, thanks for the heads up on griz!
Pat

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW, unless you're camping, I'd recommend staying outside the Park, in West Yellowstone or Gardener, rather than in the Park. West Yellowstone has a lot of lodging and dining options, Gardener, not so many. If you don't mind the long drives, Jackson and Cody are also options. I've never fished it, but the north fork of the Shoshone has always looked "trouty" to me, whenever I've driven to/from Cody out the eastern entrance of YNP.

Jeff

PS - The only places that I've stayed in the Park were the Lake Lodge, the share croppers' cabins at the Lake Lodge, and the Lodge at Grant Village. The Lake Lodge and cabins were expensive and very dated, such that I couldn't recommend them to anyone. The Lodge at Grant Village is much newer, but still a bit worn and expensive, sort of "Motel 6" accommodations at "Hilton" prices. Or so it seemed to me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am headed into the park this weekend to camp and open up the Firehole River. I have done this every year and will continue for years to come. Yellowstone has some unbelievable fishing.

Staying in the park is a better idea than some mentioned. I would suggest staying at Pebble Creek campground on the way to Cooke City. The Lamar is right down the road from there and a phenomenal river to fish.

Woolly Buggers cast downstream and against the bank then allowed to swing out to deeper water will produce good fish. I would first try dries and look to terrestrials, Hoppers, Ants and Beetles, close to the banks and up against the rocks where the water has some depth.

I fish that river almost every week after the high water clears and there are some real good fish in the Lamar. Pay no attention to most of the fishermen on the river, most of them can't fish and don't know where to fish the river. If you are here that week let me know, I may be up there fishing it and we can hook up...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
We're pulling our trailer and will stay in the park. Plan is to probably move camp within the park once while we are there. (and hit the museum in Cody again!) Sounds like hoppers on top and wooly buggers through the pools will be a good start! Shrapnel, I'll touch base with you before we head out, and thanks.
Pat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An excellent time, as the crowds are about 30% of pre Labor Day levels. The wife and I have always been able to walk in a book a cabin on the spot. One might bring their camp/cooking gear and some food if he wants to run low budget. The fish can be very picky as they've experienced a full summer of pressure. I do well with gold ribbed hares ears in a variety of sizes from 10's to 18's. I have no luck with dead drift presentations, but do well with an across and down swing.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/27/12.

1Minute
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Just back from that trip, spent a week sightseeing with a little fishing each day. #12 hoppers worked on the Lamar as Ingwe suggested. That river was fairly busy and the wind was whistling up the valley that day, which made casting a bit more challenging.
On a few other rivers I fished I had best luck with a beadhead black wooly bugger (#10 I think) swung across the current, or better yet, dead drifted through pockets in the riffles. Nothing big to report, but I managed enough fish to keep it fun! You couldn't beat the scenery, for sure.
One thing I was surprised at was the number of people in the park, way busier than I thought it would be for mid September. The campgrounds in the park were full virtually every night. Some afternoons on the Madison you'd have somebody fishing every 100 yards, though I didn't see a lot of fish hooked.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like it was a great trip. I won't be in the park, but will shortly be nearby for some elk hunting and cutthroat fishing.

Thanks for the post. Pics next time please,

1Minute
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Seems like it was a pretty doggone good trip indeed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
. Some afternoons on the Madison you'd have somebody fishing every 100 yards, though I didn't see a lot of fish hooked. [/quote]

Yep, the Madison is well known but it can be very tough at times since everyone wants to fish it. Since it is so easily accessible and so close to W. Yellowstone it tends to be filled with tourist and educated trout.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by bamagun01
Yep, the Madison is well known but it can be very tough at times since everyone wants to fish it. Since it is so easily accessible and so close to W. Yellowstone it tends to be filled with tourist and educated trout.

Though when you get it all to yourself because everybody is on the Firehole and the fish are rising to some PMDs, it can be great. Especially if you forget the sketchy river crossing and the fried camera. eek

Nels
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are times that I enjoy the challenge of educated fish. Not those that sit and brood in the bottom of a pool, but those that are smart and wary enough to actively feed in ones face. Even if they break off, I still feel successful if I got a take and hookup.

1Minute
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I'm curious what time of year is "best" for fishing the park. By best, I mean # of decent sized fish that are "accessible". My guess would be early season as soon as the water clears from the snowmelt.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Fall, the bugs are bigger and the fish are hungry. September to October. Not as many tourist but still alot of fisherman.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
First week of October has always been great! Especially around the 6th. wink If I'm not antelope hunting that week, I try to make it to the Cooke City area. Awesome fishing and scenery.

Bob

Last edited by Bobcape; 12/27/12. Reason: Spelling

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Next time, and there will be a next time, I'll go a week or two later and chance getting some snow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and chance getting some snow

At that elevation, one can get significant snow any day of the year.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10ring1, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.