24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I spent this week in Craig, Montana fishing the Missouri River. It was my first time in a guided drift boat, and there was a STEEP learning curve, starting with the fact that all my gear was - well, let us say under-qualitied, if you know what I mean. The guide just said, "Well, maybe I'll bring along a loaner..."

But here's the first fish of the first day. 18-inch brownie...

[Linked Image]

Here's an average-sized Missouri rainbow that still managed to take me all the way to the backing. MAN those fish are hot in this river! That's our primary guide, Tim Linehan on the bank.

[Linked Image]

And here's my partner and life-long friend Gerry Bertero from Boise, who invited me on this trip. This 'bow is a bit bigger, I think. It nudged 20 inches, if I recall correctly.

[Linked Image]

Can't wait to go back - with MUCH better equipment!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a super trip and I can almost taste those trout! The Mighty Mo down here show don't resemble that you'd be holding a flat head or carp instead... whistle

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Woody, I didn't get even a taste of trout all week. They are STRICTLY catch and release. In fact, they don't even like to handle the fish enough to take photos. We had to really ask to get these shots. If I had carried one ashore to the only restaurant, I think I would have been lynched.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shocked Damn I was all ready for some fryin pan pics too.. grin

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brown trout sure have some great color.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Rocky: thats pretty much in my backyard. Glad you had a good time plying the water! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Looks like you left just in time to avoid the snow. I grew up in Great Falls and fished that area a lot. Ate some of the fish too without any guilt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pics, thx for sharing! I spendt 15 years on that river. Now that I'm back in the Gallatin Valley I don't venture that way much anymo as we've some fair fishing as well.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That first pic looks to me right below where the Dearborn dumps in. On that pic if you looked up and to your left a bit there are some cliffs that I always thought would be fun to jump off into the Mo from. Or at least it'd of been fun once...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Glad you had a good trip, and enjoyed some local coutry. I always enjoy traveling through the canyon. It's beautiful.

I've always noticed that area is pretty full of driftboats, and shore fisherman. Have meant to wet a line up there one of these times but mostly I end up fishing Canyon Ferry Lake from the shore.

I didn't realize catch-and-release was the drill though, I'm more of a catch-and-eat fisherman myself.....grin.

But I guess I can understand why the folks in Craig wouldn't want that water fished out. Fishing tourism has to be a big part of the town's economy.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Spot on perzackly, Mark. We had just put in at Dearborn. We floated eight miles to a take-out I can't recall now. And yes, that cliff would be a helluva great cliff dive on a hot day.

There's a bald eagle nest in a tree not 200 yards from it. I saw one of the birds that day, and it or its mate on the nest on day three. We saw two large mink, sandhill cranes, white pelicans and many more kinds of wildlife. I even had a muskrat swim over to inspect my nymph indicator. Cool stuff.

MM, there are quite a few local boats mixed in with the guides, and the locals practice catch and eat. The only thing our guides would have allowed us to keep would have been whitefish, but there wasn't cooler space for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you ever fished the Sun in August with Hoppers?

That would be a fun Fire get together! Stay @ Sun Canyon Lodge, feesh our brains out and let Ingwe grill for us...grin

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm up for it!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Have you ever fished the Sun in August with Hoppers?

That would be a fun Fire get together! Stay @ Sun Canyon Lodge, feesh our brains out and let Ingwe grill for us...grin

Dober

I was there in April. The fishing is usually pretty good then, but the river was coming up due to an early thaw so not too good. I had my young son with and he wanted to clean his worm by wacking it on the water. Needless to say I didn't get much fishing done. If you have a boat go to the the mouth of the Sun where it comes into Gibson Lake. I was only able to do it once, but I almost got tired of catching cutthroat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That or take a day pack and hike the trail back and then get to ripping lips. That's some of my fav country in the world.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 05/28/12.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rocky,

Looks like a great trip!

I used to fish that portion of the Missouri quite a bit after moving to Townsend 22 years ago, but that was in the early days of "discovery," before so many people started fishing that stretch. It was pretty easy to find a good piece of water to wade, and there weren't many boats.

Eventually the pressure got to be a bit much, and that tot catch-and-release became prevalent. It seemed to me the really big fish (20+ inches) got to be less common. There can be several reasons for that, including RELEASINg fish, as any river can support so much biomass, whether X number of 4-pound trout or twice that number of 2-pound trout. That's what was found in the Bighorn after catch-and-releace became so much of a religion: There were more trout, but the average was smaller. Then there's always a mortality factor, even when trout are released very carefully, and it's greater with bigger fish.

The fishing's still great in the Missouri, but streams without as much pressure can also provide great angling. In fact I've caught trout averaging as large or larger on some smaller Montana streams too small to float. If you ever get up here again, we could try some of those!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rocky, you were to far up stream for the big fish in the Mighty Mo' here in Montana, your gear woulda been a tad light aswell.....my wife pulled this guy out near Wolf Point.....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rattler; 06/01/12.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats the goofiest lookin' trout i ever saw..

But it IS a big one! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
these and lake trout is as close as we get to trout fishing.....this was also caught in the Mighty Mo'(technically in Fort Peck Reservoir) early fall last year by my oldest girl.....

[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great pics rattler looks like fun! The "Mighty MO" lived up to its name down our way last year eek

[Linked Image]

Woody

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
502 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.